DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I've been dabbling in Lucha for a few years, each year I watch a little more, learn a few more names. There's a few idiosyncrasies I don't care for, particularly in three fall matches where the first two falls are gotten out of the way fairly quickly so they can get to building the match around the third fall. Sometimes these third falls are pretty fun fucking matches, which makes me wish they had tossed the first two falls out all together. 

But, as in America and Japan, there are plenty of shitty lucha guys, so I don't hold it against the entire category of wrestling. There's plenty of kick ass guys to make up for it. 

Man I'm trying to find that IWRG match with Pollo where he gets fuuuuuucked up and I can't find it. That was probably the first lucha match where I was like, YES I WANT MORE OF THIS.

I remember seeing a couple matches with the Assassins. It was later on so Jody Hamilton (Assassin I) was getting older and MUCH heavier so his II ended up doing all the work. But yeah, I see the point. Being number two would suck.

I waited a long time for someone else to make the number two joke.

I've been dabbling in Lucha for a few years, each year I watch a little more, learn a few more names. There's a few idiosyncrasies I don't care for, particularly in three fall matches where the first two falls are gotten out of the way fairly quickly so they can get to building the match around the third fall. Sometimes these third falls are pretty fun fucking matches, which makes me wish they had tossed the first two falls out all together. 

But, as in America and Japan, there are plenty of shitty lucha guys, so I don't hold it against the entire category of wrestling. There's plenty of kick ass guys to make up for it. 

Man I'm trying to find that IWRG match with Pollo where he gets fuuuuuucked up and I can't find it. That was probably the first lucha match where I was like, YES I WANT MORE OF THIS.

Fuck man, that match ruled. I watched that shit back to back three times.

The last comment about everyone being interchangeable except for their outfits is going to keep any of us from helping you overcome the rest of the misconceptions throughout your post, Goodear.

Watch a Gronda match and a Blue Panther match and get back to us.

So to take you up on this I started watching Blue Panther vs. Villano V from CMLL Aniversario 9/19/1998

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KFRthDnL70

• One minute in Blue Panther goes for a small package... and we have a slow ass referee sighting.
  • They are slapping the PISS out of each other, Villano V has some nice kicks and punches
  • Three minutes in... Villano goes for the mask and rips it.
  • Five minutes in... guy on the outside cheats with a trip, faces do nothing but Villano gets disqualified for pulling off BP's mask.
  • So the second fall starts and Villano tears BP's mask off AGAIN.  Probably because V is bleeding from the back of the head from getting knocked back into a set of stadium seats. So how much of this is improv because he's buying time I don't know.  But he should have been DQ'd again right?
  • Anyway Panther is back out with another mask and Villano goes for that one TOO but can't.  They go at it for a while and Panther gets the double leg spinebuster that every lucha match has and he goes to VV's mask and rips it off for another DQ.  And then he has the nerve to act surprised. I am not surprised.
  • Villano disappears I assume because he's getting stitched up.
  • They come back and Panther dives on Villano 3 or 4 more times.
  • Villano comes back with 3 superplexes (FU Davey)
  • Panther comes back with a fujiwara armbar but a second gets countered into a pinning combination and a SLOOOOOW 3 count

Dive Count: 5

Tilt-a-whirl Backbreaker Count: 1

I tried looking for Gronda vids and found there were 2 of them, which isn't really helping the uniqueness argument.  So I went with a 6 man with them both in it!  I'm going to assume the XXX one with the painted abs and coming out to Road Warrior Hawk saying 'Oh what a rush' on a loop is the 'real' one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3ja2IfDtg

Well Gronda is much different than Blue Panther.  He also really fucking blows.

• The three heels, Nicho (aka Psicosis) Gronda XXX and the other guy do the beat one face at at a time deal.  
  • They also set up chairs but the referee don't mind
  • Oh my god this is the worst thing.
  • Was this a trap?
  • I'm trapped.
  • Help.

I could explain the stuff you mentioned, and I have an answer for everything you posted, but yes, it was a trap. If I don't like what someone has to say about lucha I trick them into watching Gronda matches.

I'll let nice guy Jae talk about the rest since he's nice

It's not like some sexy man didnt make a series of lucha libre for gringos videos on YouTube to explain this stuff or anything

Question while reading the March Madness plan- with NXT getting regular time this year and people saying it's worthy of spots, even with them being in the minor leagues of WWE, is this the right argument for March Madness to add the "First Four" games in? (Seemingly that makes the sense there- four playin games for NXT wrestlers to get into the field.) 

It does feel a little bit now like it's debating on some mid-major teams in the NCAAs to get to the tournament, so it feels like this is the right reason to make it work.

Man, watched the HBK promo from Montreal today. It's a pity that Shawn's second run never had a real heel run. He more or less played heel for the Hogan program, and, by default I guess, the first Undertaker match, but that's the only ones I can recall. What a fucking natural asshole. I can't recall the build-up to his Cena match so dunno if he was playing heel for that.

Also, I'm sure it's been noticed, but some heel has to play Punk's theme in Chicago.

• Like 1