DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

This Chikara stuff is amazing and great. They are so creative and weird in the best way possible. The thing about Chikara that I love is that it's just fun. It's as much a live action comic book as much as it is a wrestling league. Kudos to those guys for being daring and really pushing the definition of American pro wrestling. It might not be for everyone but I think they have to be given credit for trying to do stuff no one else does.

• Like 6

What was the deal with Austin refusing to lose the title to Triple H at Summerslam 99?  I always felt it cheapened that first title win by switching it to Foley on the PPV and then moving it to Hunter on Raw.  Was there heat between Austin and Hunter at the time?

Steak is delicious. I'd fight someone for a steak

So would Ryback.   I'd give Ryback a gimmick where he runs in on every match one week because he wants more steak.

That said, if I was in charge, this is an idea on how I'd make titles more important:

For the IC belt: I'd have someone win the belt (maybe Bryan) and I'd have him rebel by saying he's going to make this title more important "than HHH's lifetime achievement award" and basically have him shit on the World Champ.  Normally folks would not like this here, but it's a way to say "I'm the real champ" and have Hunter's idea of giving him another belt to sidetrack him not work.   Downside is you crap on your world title- but the payoff would make that temporary.  You could have Orton getting upset over this and trying to hire bounty hunters to take out Bryan, or face wrestlers refusing title shots because they want the "real title", driving HHH mad.

What was the deal with Austin refusing to lose the title to Triple H at Summerslam 99?  I always felt it cheapened that first title win by switching it to Foley on the PPV and then moving it to Hunter on Raw.  Was there heat between Austin and Hunter at the time?

There is the story that, since Austin's knees were messed up, he didn't think he could properly put Triple H over on his own.  That is if you believe that hot garbage Triple H documentary.  Even with that said, and it just HAD to be a 3 way, why not still put Triple H over in that one?

That said, if I was in charge, this is an idea on how I'd make titles more important:

For the IC belt: I'd have someone win the belt (maybe Bryan) and I'd have him rebel by saying he's going to make this title more important "than HHH's lifetime achievement award" and basically have him shit on the World Champ. Normally folks would not like this here, but it's a way to say "I'm the real champ" and have Hunter's idea of giving him another belt to sidetrack him not work. Downside is you crap on your world title- but the payoff would make that temporary. You could have Orton getting upset over this and trying to hire bounty hunters to take out Bryan, or face wrestlers refusing title shots because they want the "real title", driving HHH mad.

Your big idea to make titles matter is to shit on the only one that's protected and to do it with a bunch of work-shoot nonsense? I think the real downside is that there isn't an upside.

Ambrose pulled off making the U.S. Title look important with a single promo ("This is the title that everyone runs from") and he didn't have to shit on any other belts to do it. They just never followed up.

• Like 1

There are two different stories. One is that Austin refused for whatever reason. The other is that WWF didn't want to end the show with the governor raising a heel's hand.

Ahhh...you know I never even considered that aspect of it.

The latter is the story I've always heard.

Sadly, i was on the wrong side of the ring for most of the schmozz. I was next to the curtain where the heels came out, but couldnt see what was happening at the main entrance with the babyfaces.

Since i dont watch Chikara anymore, i didnt know who a lot of the new guys where (guys in the trios match, steampunk guy, ...)

It was cool getting to talk some of the older guys like Mantis* and LFC .

Also cool Mike Burns from SMW got an indy pro wrestling award. I joked i wanted to start an FWA chant but no one wouldn't have gotten it. :)

* Mantis is writing an article for new magazine.

This is great. Mike Burns is a very nice guy and I loved announcing for the FWA. Low-Ki and Homicide were there, and Mike Quackenbush had an All-Japan style main event with Don Montoya and a very fun bout with El Hijo del Santo.

I have no idea what the hell just happened, even after reading what Bald Bombshell wrote. I'm so outta touch with the U.S. Indies. Ha Ha! Some of those masks were pretty damn cool though.

I had no idea who most of those heels were.

Also, didn't see the Delorean bit, but they had smoke coming from one of the entrances.

There was also a "we want quack" but he (as himself) did not make an appearance.

But there was a Jervis Cottonbelly sighting!

I think Quack knows that he shouldn't be a hero in the angle since it's pretty much his fault that CHIKARA went down. Also, in storyline he declined joining the army.

Cool performance as the wacky Ice Cream tho.

Also, people don't want to see wrestlers fight for money. Yes, they assume and are aware that money is a part of their motivations, but sports would suck if you feel that the teams are trying to win the Superbowl/Champions League/World Cup to win the bigger money prize.

When athletes are sad they lost a final they aren't sad because of the money prize they lost, they are sad because they wanted to be recognized as the best.