DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think as long as Jarrett resists the urge to call Russo, and brings in maybe Scott D'amore to book, I think it can be good.  You already know AJ Styles is going to be brought in as the top guy, but there are some really good talents out there still.

• Like 1

Jarrett's new promotion got me thinking about him as a worker and I've always been a big fan. He might have gotten pushed a little beyond his natural position on the card in WCW, and his booking for the first, like, half of his TNA run was really bad, but I think he is a great example of a solid all around performer. There's nothing he's terrible at and he's shown great character range from country music star to pissed off Southerner to chosen one to world's best dad to double-M A enthusiast.

People have mentioned how HHH is the guy you put with the real draw, but I think Jarrett is a much better example. I'm not sure what his legacy will be but he is always a guy I've considered one of my favorites just because he's so easy to watch and enjoy.

I'm excited to see what his promotion turns into. Especially if it means more Savio Vega or Dr. Nick!

• Like 2

Jarrett's new promotion got me thinking about him as a worker and I've always been a big fan. He might have gotten pushed a little beyond his natural position on the card in WCW, and his booking for the first, like, half of his TNA run was really bad, but I think he is a great example of a solid all around performer. There's nothing he's terrible at and he's shown great character range from country music star to pissed off Southerner to chosen one to world's best dad to double-M A enthusiast.

People have mentioned how HHH is the guy you put with the real draw, but I think Jarrett is a much better example. I'm not sure what his legacy will be but he is always a guy I've considered one of my favorites just because he's so easy to watch and enjoy.

I'm excited to see what his promotion turns into. Especially if it means more Savio Vega or Dr. Nick!

I've always been an unashamed Jeff Jarrett mark. It's a shame that he left the WWF in 1999, because I would imagine that his legacy would be much better if he hadn't left. It's also a shame that he and Austin had heat. I wonder how JJ would've worked in 2000 WWF. 

• Like 1

Jarrett is a guy that has always had solid matches and solid mic work but how many truly great matches has he had? How many great promos has he delivered? No hate.. I always found it strange whenever someone would book him as a top guy. He's the definition of solid midcarder. I liked his MMA gimmick. That was cool.

• Like 1

Jarrett is a guy that has always had solid matches and solid mic work but how many truly great matches has he had? How many great promos has he delivered? No hate.. I always found it strange whenever someone would book him as a top guy. He's the definition of solid midcarder. I liked his MMA gimmick. That was cool.

I'll defend Jeff Jarrett here and point out that his main event runs came whenever his respective promotion was the drizzling shits and there was really nothing he could do about it. He did do some solid work with Booker T in 2000 though. Jarrett never really had a chance to main event in a company where everything around him wasn't completely terrible.

Jarrett/Christian at Against All Odds 2006 was a very good match and helped put Christian over. 

To me in ring wise Jarrett is painfully average on the Mic doing conventional promos hes average as well. But I he shines when hes doing goofy shit like the Chosen One gimmick calling people slap nuts and randomly doing the stroke on people. He can play a dork really well but even as The Chosen One was he stepped in the ring i tuned out. Hes had good matches dont get me wrong but hes never led a good match his best matches have been against great workers like Christian Raven AJ Styles Sting and Samoa Joe. His Matches with Page werent bad either and Him & Nash had a pretty fun brawl at Against All Odds 05 until all the fucking overbooking at the end.

Jeff Jarrett as a babyface is super-awesome to me. I naturally want to root for him. When he turned face in TNA for the first time and those angles involved his daughters, I was totally into "What a good dad, trying his best with three girls!" mode. His sad/resigned faces were so damn pitiful. 

Jeff Jarrett as a heel is a channel-changer for me. It's a shame that the '80s babyface went out of style for a decade because for that decade, Jarrett was mostly a heel or a tweener and those roles do not play to his strengths in my view. 

• Like 2

I never minded Jarrett ring-wise, or even in TNA. As far as his new promotion, part of me wishes he'd head back to WWE, because while he's not a leader, but he's a helluva manager. I think he'd fit well in a role where he can develop talent or work as an agent, even commentary.

The thing I've always despised about Jarrett, and it's mainly something he started in TNA and never really quit doing ...

When wrestling some opponent with a specific gimmick (say, Billy Gunn in his "I'm Kip James bitch!" phase), Jarrett would co-opt said gimmick on an extremely hyper-verbal level to insult said opponent ("Are you Kip James, bitch?" *chop* To the fans: "Is this Kip James, bitch?" *chop*). Oh, that and his Flair/ HTM Attitude era rape baby gimmick.

there's always footage of Aztec Jarrett with the evil Rock'n'Roll Express and the greatest NWA Champion ever Barry Windham:

The entire thing is kinda unintentionally hilarious in retrospect. Would have made just as much sense for Cornette to start a group of disgruntled Smoky Mountain wrestlers that aligned because they blamed the WWF for SMW going under

EDIT: maybe there's an argument that the WCW invasion could have been just as effective if it was presented as ex-WCW guys arriving to avenge the WWF buying WCW and dissolving it, it's not like 2001 WCW as a separate organization was any more scary than the idea of angry "ex"-WCW guys wanting to get revenge for losing their jobs

• Like 1