DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Not that I know of. Yeah any real names would all be fly in so the cost of bringing in talent would be totally prohibative. The only way to make it work here would be totally grassroots. Home grown talent and built from the ground up.

Literally just a guts outward FU so the widow maker is the one

Piece of trivia no one will give a fuck about: I used the Widowmaker as my finish.

Even I didn't know that one...

That's because in Missouri I was doing tag matches 90% of the time, where we used our tag finish. The Widowmaker I mostly used down in Arkansas.

See, I could have gone the "because you never won" route, but I'm a nice guy.

(Seriously, when you did win, it was usually a rollup w/ handful of tights or something.)

I live in Idaho. There is no wrestling...none...zero...

Fuck Idaho...

I always kinda felt for states like Idaho, Montana, the Dakotas, Wyoming- they get ignored for everything else, someone could at least start a fucking indy up there!

Well, they used to have the Hog Wild PPV in South Dakota.

I wonder how the pay worked out for Hog Wild. They couldn't have made that much from merch. sales and I'm sure PPV bonus checks came a few months later.  There had to be some kind of special bonus for having a spot on the show with no gate revenue.

Unless, of course, that's me just being a little too logical

I wonder how the pay worked out for Hog Wild. They couldn't have made that much from merch. sales and I'm sure PPV bonus checks came a few months later.  There had to be some kind of special bonus for having a spot on the show with no gate revenue.

Unless, of course, that's me just being a little too logical

Especially when fans would huck rocks at wrestlers, there wasn't much enticement to work all that hard. Par for the course in WCW, but even more so with Hog Wild.

Literally just a guts outward FU so the widow maker is the one

Piece of trivia no one will give a fuck about: I used the Widowmaker as my finish.
Even I didn't know that one...
That's because in Missouri I was doing tag matches 90% of the time, where we used our tag finish. The Widowmaker I mostly used down in Arkansas.

See, I could have gone the "because you never won" route, but I'm a nice guy.

(Seriously, when you did win, it was usually a rollup w/ handful of tights or something.)

Yeah, I was much more of a chickenshit heel in LWA. Down in Arkansas they let me beat guys up more. I'll let you decide what that says about the roster down in Arkansas if they made ME one of their badasses...

How exactly did pay work in WCW? When the performers were making guaranteed money, were they getting bonuses for gates, etc.?

I remember in one of the Legends of Wrestling Roundtables on WWE Classics they were all cracking up about the Spring Break Nitros. (the ones with the ring in the middle of the pool) Apparently, admission was free to these events, so there wasn't even a gate.  Who knows how much money was lost on those things.

I still remember the first year where they did Sat Night live from the rally too so it was like 5 hours of live programming.

The crowd hated - HATED - a Benoit/Malenko match and to say they weren't fans of Harlem Heat (especially when they went over) would be an understatement.

I still remember the first year where they did Sat Night live from the rally too so it was like 5 hours of live programming.

The crowd hated - HATED - a Benoit/Malenko match and to say they weren't fans of Harlem Heat (especially when they went over) would be an understatement.

That Malenko/Benoit match was a draw, so to their credit, it probably was not the best match to put in front of that crowd. 

How exactly did pay work in WCW? When the performers were making guaranteed money, were they getting bonuses for gates, etc.?

I remember in one of the Legends of Wrestling Roundtables on WWE Classics they were all cracking up about the Spring Break Nitros. (the ones with the ring in the middle of the pool) Apparently, admission was free to these events, so there wasn't even a gate. Who knows how much money was lost on those things.

I would assume they paid the wrestlers in drunk college girls though.

• Like 1

I was watching the nWo doc on Netflix and Nash mentioned how stupid he thought it was to have the Souled Out PPV. They had their own refs and still lost some matches...  etc.  I can see what he's saying but as a teen I thought it was a cool concept. Looking back, some of it didn't make sense but were there a lot of gripes over it? I find it hard to believe that they lost business because of the Souled Out PPV.

thoughts?

That Malenko/Benoit match was a draw, so to their credit, it probably was not the best match to put in front of that crowd. 

Benoit won, but it was initially a time limit draw with, I think, multiple "5 more minutes" restarts (which were booed louder each time).  Total match time was just under 27 minutes.

I was watching the nWo doc on Netflix and Nash mentioned how stupid he thought it was to have the Souled Out PPV. They had their own refs and still lost some matches...  etc.  I can see what he's saying but as a teen I thought it was a cool concept. Looking back, some of it didn't make sense but were there a lot of gripes over it? I find it hard to believe that they lost business because of the Souled Out PPV.

thoughts?

They only lost two matches on the ppv and both had extenuating circumstances. Guerrero won a ladder match and The Steiners only won b/c Randy Anderson came out of the crowd to count 3. Personally I thought it was a pretty interesting concept. None of the matches were all that great but it was a lot different than the usual WCW ppv at the time.

At least the Heat were heels for that match. I remember they were supposed to be faces the next year when they went against Bagwell/Norton.

So apparently Cena recently granted his 400th Make a Wish Wish. I feel like his 300th was only like last summer.

Oh and I found out via Tiffani Amber Thiessen... which made me really happy

Congrats to @JohnCena for reaching a landmark of 400 wishes granted with @MakeAWish #Cena400Wishes pic.twitter.com/axJORl31za

thoughts?

I know it was a financial flop gate-wise because they held it in a very small venue. 

And the main event.....Hogan and The Giant goes to a no contest after the rest of the nWo attacks The Giant.  Yet another great PPV finish during the nWo era.