DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I will say having a vocal part of the audience at Elimination Chamber turn on Rock for Punk was one of my highlights of 2013.

When they counted along to the visual pinfall, and booed Rock's comeback, I was giddy. 

Granted, it was probably only about a quarter of the live crowd, but it was still surreal.

For all of Punk's talent, he does seem like a very whiny, difficult person to be around. I'm not at all surprised many people in WWE are glad to see the back of him, or coming out of the woodwork to trash him. The man does have this hilarious ability to make everyone he meets into a supporting character in the Saga of People Who Fucked Over Phil Brooks.

The Rock...stealing all his main event glory, practically spitting in his face!

The Miz....stealing the main event spot at WrestleMania 27, practically spitting in his face!

People in management getting pissed at his girlfriend for being rude to a visiting celebrity, practically spitting in his face!

Vince putting him against Triple H at WrestleMania XXX, practically spitting in his face!

Not since Livia Soprano has anyone wandered around with such a sense of undeserved martyrdom.  

• Like 5

I think it just makes him a pro wrestling fan. I don't really think he's any different than your smark fan. He grew up watching the sport, wrestled since he was a teenager. He's just a guy who really cares a lot about his wrestling character, which is kind of cool, especially when so much of the company now are just bodybuilders who got into it for the money.

Not that it justifies any of the whining, but it's no different to me than someone going postal because Daniel Bryan or whoever isn't being booked correctly. Most of this just sounds like Phil Brooks, hardcore wrestling fan who is the biggest CM Punk mark on the planet, yelling to anyone who will listen that "CM PUNK ISN'T BEING BOOKED CORRECTLY." 

Right or wrong, if he didn't have that attitude he probably wouldn't have achieved the success or made anywhere near the amount of money that he has  in WWE over the last few years.

• Like 2

I think it just makes him a pro wrestling fan. I don't really think he's any different than your smark fan. He grew up watching the sport, wrestled since he was a teenager. He's just a guy who really cares a lot about his wrestling character, which is kind of cool, especially when so much of the company now are just bodybuilders who got into it for the money.

Not that it justifies any of the whining, but it's no different to me than someone going postal because Daniel Bryan or whoever isn't being booked correctly. Most of this just sounds like Phil Brooks, hardcore wrestling fan who is the biggest CM Punk mark on the planet, yelling to anyone who will listen that "CM PUNK ISN'T BEING BOOKED CORRECTLY." 

Right or wrong, if he didn't have that attitude he probably wouldn't have achieved the success or made anywhere near the amount of money that he has  in WWE over the last few years.

The beauty of it, for me, is that Bryan ate the shit he was served like a man, and Punk threw tantrums and ended up less popular.

• Like 3

A smart company when attempting to build a star might just think about not feeding them shit, though. Keep in mind that they've killed off everybody else's momentum in the entire company and realize that maybe their way isnt working.

In the main event scene you have Orton, Cena, Bryan, and Batista as names that move the needle. Below them you have the Shield and Wyatts, and then there's a vast chasm below with everybody else on the roster. Several dozen bits of filler thanks to a decade of pisspoor booking. You want to know why the Attitude era guys are still so over? Because they were booked to fucking matter no matter what their position on the card. Spike Dudley mattered more on his roster than 85% of the current active roster.

• Like 7

The beauty of it, for me, is that Bryan ate the shit he was served like a man, and Punk threw tantrums and ended up less popular.

True, but still, having that attitude made Punk a multi-millionaire and a star that he probably never would have been otherwise.

Bryan, to be fair, hasn't reached that perennial main eventer/long-term world champ status that Punk hit yet, although I'm sure it's coming. But let's see how he feels about things if he hasn't hit that level five years into his WWE career (which was where Punk was in 2011). I don't think he's the type to go "Fuck you, I'm leaving if you don't give me what I want" but who knows. Different strokes and all that.

• Like 1

I think it just makes him a pro wrestling fan. I don't really think he's any different than your smark fan.

Few smark fans are that pathologically narcissistic.

He wouldn't have made it so far if he wasn't narcissistic. If Punk realized "Hey, I'm a skinny fat wrestler with very little athletic ability I'm lucky enough to be in the WWE" he wouldn't accomplish anything.  

I still for the life of me will never understand how one of the WWE's hottest angles in the past 10 years turned into a storyline that in just a few months became focused on HHH.

CM Punk's pipebomb promo turned into Punk's WWE title win at Money in the Bank 2011. That transitioned to the Punk/Cena undisputed title match at Summerslam 2011 and ended when Del Rio cashed in and won the title after Kevin Nash's interference. All of a sudden HHH is feuding with John Laurinaitis and CM Punk about who actually made the text to Kevin Nash. A month later HHH wins the title from Punk and soon after Punk is teaming with HHH. How exactly did that happen?

• Like 2

I still for the life of me will never understand how one of the WWE's hottest angles in the past 10 years turned into a storyline that in just a few months became focused on HHH.

CM Punk's pipebomb promo turned into Punk's WWE title win at Money in the Bank 2011. That transitioned to the Punk/Cena undisputed title match at Summerslam 2011 and ended when Del Rio cashed in and won the title after Kevin Nash's interference. All of a sudden HHH is feuding with John Laurinaitis and CM Punk about who actually made the text to Kevin Nash. A month later HHH wins the title from Punk and soon after Punk is teaming with HHH. How exactly did that happen?

Triple H convincing Vince that despite the mainstream attention got in 2011 (on ESPN and such), it was a flash in the pan and he needed a proven draw like himself coming out on top.

Okay, it probably didn't happen like that. But I can't imagine the real line of reasoning wasn't too far off from that. I'm always gonna be a Kevin Nash fan. But for the life of me when he cost Punk the title it was probably one of the more stupid things the WWE has done. Not so much that it was Nash, but that it served no purpose what so ever. It probably was a case of someone else being pegged for the angle and then politics happened and they decided they needed a bigger name. Why that name was Kevin Nash in 2011...I don't know.

Tying into the "does HHH hold people down" thing- that is kind of your best example: 

CM Punk's pipebomb promo (and arguably, from that point and Punk's prior storyline, The Nexus Riot) directly led to a blowoff of "Triple H fights Kevin Nash in a ladder match."

...if you're a pro-"HHH holds people down" claim (I don't personally believe it- as there's too many flawed "claims" for the held down people to do so), that should be Exhibit A.

I wish they would have ran with the "Punk as a freelancer and being the WWE champion" angle a little more than they did. But I realize that was a farfetched idea from the beginning, we're lucky we got the Comic-Con thing.

• Like 2

I think the whole problem with the whole Summer of Punk angle was that it all peaked too quick.  The climax (MITB PPV) happened within two weeks of it all starting, and there really nowhere to go but down from there.

The whole thing would have worked better if the title tournament had been a month long thing to build up its importance, and the final was held at SummerSlam.  THEN when John Cena wins, you have Punk come out to set up the next show.  The two have their rematch at the next PPV, Punk wins, you avoid HHH getting involved and you continue on from where it ended up going. 

WWE fucked it up by INSISTING that Del Rio HAD to be champion.  That pretty much derailed any momentum, since no matter what happened, that had to be the endgame.

• Like 1