DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So why is "this is why I NEVER share my opinions" now the default response for so many people here?  People will disagree, people will make jokes.  It's all (or mostly) in good fun.  Share more opinions.  Debate.  Have some fun with it.  

For the record my line about Hunter working the smarks was a joke.  I do think the hate he gets is overblown and people will bend over backwards to claim he's burying someone.  

Lesnar and Punk both lost steam after their feud with HHH. Bryan would've too if the fans didn't revolt.

Right now, even though he is a non-wrestler HHH presents himself as top dog. He shows no ass and it is presented that he could prob be world champ if he wanted to be. He just doesn't feel like it.

This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it was building to Bryan bringing him down at mania. However, we know two things.

1.) He did this exact same routine 2.5 years back which somehow resulted in face COO HHH going over red hot face CM Punk and Kevin Nash embarrassing himself.

2.) The plan as of a few weeks ago was HHH v Punk at mania. Meaning the logical conclusion to the Bryan- HHH storyline wasn't going to happen.

• Like 5

I work in radio. I work on an "active rock" formatted station which means I play some really, really shitty music in very tight rotations. Nickelback, Saving Abel, Theory of a Deadman...yes, shit. However, whenever I tell our music consultant, even jockingly "oh goody...and another Nickel-Abel of a Deadman cut" he says "they test well in top 20 markets and pack arenas so they must be great." He then proceeds to ask me why all of the good music (and I can hear the smug fucker doing finger quotes as he says it) can't break main stream. When I try and tell him it's because they aren't on labels big enough to push them, he finishes with "if they were good, they'd be on the big labels that would give them the push." This is the same circular argument I hear when I breath the notion that maybe Triple H isn't on top because he's the greatest ever but because he's been pushed hard enough that the lowest common denominator started to buy him as "the king of kings."

• Like 6

So why is "this is why I NEVER share my opinions" now the default response for so many people here?  People will disagree, people will make jokes.  It's all (or mostly) in good fun.  Share more opinions.  Debate.  Have some fun with it.  

For the record my line about Hunter working the smarks was a joke.  I do think the hate he gets is overblown and people will bend over backwards to claim he's burying someone.  

It's a world filter for this is why I NEVER share my opinions

I wanna know why that person with the long rant on Punk has so much against AJ. It sounds like more than just spillover from being bitter towards Punk. Because AJ is clearly the best diva on the roster by a lot right now. The Total Divas "pipebomb" promo was probably a cutesy little insider nod, but I don't see anyone that would be challenging her reign as champion regardless of who she's dating. I'm almost thinking it was a diva who leaked it, or at least someone who has strong ties to one of the other divas. Tyson Kidd maybe?

I don't know, this is going to sound dumb, but AJ's title reign is reminding me a lot of Punk's in that it is super long but it feels devoid of memorable moments.  Now this may be largely the fault of her opposition because Nattie and K8lyn are pretty much voids (when they aren't on Instagram with Big E) but I'm not coming up with a ton of stuff that I remember fondly out of this reign that didn't come with her at the announcer's desk.  If she had someone better to play off of, I may feel differently.

Regarding the rest of the quote, I have to admit the idea of Punk getting psyched to do morning radio shows doesn't seem likely.  

Naomi is like the diva version of Shelton Benjamin. Great athlete capable of doing big spots, but pretty botch-tastic and doesn't have a good sense of timing or laying out a decent match around the big spots. Her personality on Total Divas doesn't come across as well in the "WWE universe" either, although that's probably more of a writing thing. I hear Aksana is notoriously bad, so I won't take that match into consideration, but I haven't seen anything from her that compares to the AJ/Kaitlyn ppv matches from last summer.

I don't wanna sound too down on Naomi, though. I think she has potential and I'm for her getting chances, but she's not on AJ's level right now imo.

• Like 2

Some people don't want to buy the story that WWE/Vince/Creative wanted to keep the title on Triple H so he could drop it to Goldberg. So instead, we have people saying that Hunter buried Booker T. There's really not anywhere else to go with that argument.

There's a reason for that.

Lets try to remember also..  2002-04 WWE was not exactly a hotbed of up and coming talent. SD! was a very strong show top to bottom but on RAW...  Triple H was stuck feuding with Kane, RVD, Out of shape Steiner, Nash, HBK, Goldberg..  He wasn't holding anyone down.

All of the guys that came in around that time who WWE wanted to turn into stars became stars. Your Cena's, Orton, Batista, Lesnar...  

I can't think of anyone who had star potential who Triple H held back as some would have you believe. He did try with Shelton. We found out quickly that Shelton couldn't be a top guy.

Kane and RVD were both very over at the time, and somehow, completely accidentally I am sure,  you left off Booker T.

I mean when the HHH-marks can actually present a straight argument about that period, I might actually buy into it. But they never can.

http://youtu.be/h3WHwZVACPM

The other thing about Booker T, is he was 38 when that match happened, it's not like Triple H holding some young guy down, it prevented a fairly over, upper-card face from taking the title and he was about 6 years away from semi-retirement anyways.  

Also, as much as I hate take umbrage with a guy with an Alan Partridge avatar/name, just because someone doesn't think Triple H is the great satan of the pro wrestling industry, doesn't make them a HHH-mark.  There actually aren't a ton of Triple H matches I love, in all honesty, but saying that he's only popular because he wrestled good wrestlers or by burying people is just nutty. 

"With a tubby physique ..."  Ouch.  And given the tubs of goo they've pushed hard in the past ... double ouch.

I can't be the only one to boggle at the implication of that George Foreman isn't tubby.

I was going to post the same thing and then thought when nobody else was saying anything that maybe I was crazy!