DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So who do you all feel Triple H has really "put over" in his career?

-He put Jericho over pretty big a few times, but all anyone remembers is the later burial at WM.  The Dusty finish title match and subsequent rematch (That Trips had to cheat to win) made Jericho a star in WWE, rather than an IC title-level guy.  One can argue Jericho never would have been at a WM title match level later on, if not for the pre-Invasion elevation of Jericho and Benoit during the 2-man power trip angle.

I'm pretty sure Jericho has never cleanly pinned HHH.  Not once.  Even the "title win" was a fast ref count. 

He tapped out to Benoit several times.  I would put him in that category.

correct me if I'm wrong....  I want to take a look at what actually happened in the Brock Lesnar feud. I am recalling them getting into a confrontation where Brock smokes HHH and breaks his arm. Then, I believe they had a match and Brock smoked him again and broke his arm for the second time. Following this is the terrible street fight which I will grant you is long and boring and Triple H won via pin. The next match, in a cage, they fought toe to toe...  HHH got in a lot of offense and in the end Brock shook everything off hoisted Triple H up for the F5 and then planted him deep into the depths of hell.

I don't see how anyone could say Triple H dominated that feud.

He did manage to cool off Brock's drawing power. After Cena, Brock should have NEVER lost. That way when he does, it means something.

• Like 2

correct me if I'm wrong....  I want to take a look at what actually happened in the Brock Lesnar feud. I am recalling them getting into a confrontation where Brock smokes HHH and breaks his arm. Then, I believe they had a match and Brock smoked him again and broke his arm for the second time. Following this is the terrible street fight which I will grant you is long and boring and Triple H won via pin. The next match, in a cage, they fought toe to toe...  HHH got in a lot of offense and in the end Brock shook everything off hoisted Triple H up for the F5 and then planted him deep into the depths of hell.

He did manage to cool off Brock's drawing power. After Cena, Brock should have NEVER lost. That way when he does, it means something.

Personally, I don't think Brock should ever lose but you're right. Quick question:  How did you feel about Heyman having to save Lesnar multiple times during the CM Punk match? I didn't think Brock came off looking like a monster in that scenario.. what's your take.

Depends on your definition.

-He put over Ultimate Warrior in a big way, though his political power was low at the time.  Same with Henry Godwinn, though he won the feud, Godwinn was elevated after their feud.

-He put Jericho over pretty big a few times, but all anyone remembers is the later burial at WM.  The Dusty finish title match and subsequent rematch (That Trips had to cheat to win) made Jericho a star in WWE, rather than an IC title-level guy.  One can argue Jericho never would have been at a WM title match level later on, if not for the pre-Invasion elevation of Jericho and Benoit during the 2-man power trip angle.

-He put over Benjamin to try to make him a main event guy, it didn't work out.

-Batista.  That whole Evolution break-up angle cemented Batista as a main eventer.

It would be harder to argue what guys he honestly "buried"

-Booker T in that WM feud.

-Spirit Squad

who am I missing?

Triple H put down John Cena's wrestling ability in the build to their WrestleMania 22 match in Chicago. Cena made Triple H tap out with the STFU in that match. Few saw that coming with Triple H losing two WrestleMania main events before this one and the crowd shots to the ending.

When I think of a guy being "put over" I ask myself, did that feud elevate him to the same level of stardom, if not a higher level, than his opponent?

The Cena one is interesting. On one hand, he did job cleanly to him at Wrestlemania. But on the other hand, that "you can't wrestle and you're only a star because of how you look and talk" build-up to the match was brutal. Triple H pretty much single-handedly started that "Cena is a joke and can't wrestle" meme that still haunts his career to this day. I don't know that Cena would have been any less of the star he became without that match.

As for Jericho, I don't know how you can realistically argue that HHH put him over. Especially after the WMX8 debacle.

Here's Corny's comments,

Here's what I think about HHH. His promos...I'd rather watch a dog lick its balls. Boring, and way too long. One time I had Raw on and he's talking, and then I go out to the garage and I get something, I come back and he's talking and he gets in the ring to wrestle. Okay so I go make myself a fucking sandwich and then I come back he's talking after he finished the fucking match. Good worker, student of the game, but he's the guy that works with the guy that draws the money. Would HHH unless he had married into the family been smashed into that spot year after year after year? With the interruptions for the injuries and the bland promos, would he have ever been in that spot if he was just...he's a good worker but he ain't Shawn Michaels as far as show-stealing, he ain't Steve Austin or the Rock as far as fucking mega-star, he ain't Mick Foley as far as talent. Does HHH get mentioned in with those guys, Flair, Foley, Taker, Austin, Rock, except in WWF-scripted fucking television commercials? No. He's the guy that works with the guy that draws the money.

So Triple H was the guy behind the guy behind the guy, until he became the guy behind the girl.

I'm fairly confident the crowds were already chanting "you can't wrestle" at Cena well before his feud with HHH. It was already a thing on the internet as well. Triple H played the role of smark internet fan and then Cena made him tap out. If that's not putting over someone's ability I don't know what is.

Even today..  Triple H is now playing the role of what internet fans perceive him to be and it's great. He's fully aware of what's going on.

Personally, I don't think Brock should ever lose but you're right. Quick question:  How did you feel about Heyman having to save Lesnar multiple times during the CM Punk match? I didn't think Brock came off looking like a monster in that scenario.. what's your take.

It hurt the match for me. It might be why I thought the main was better. Brock should have remained undefeated even now. Going straight to Cena was a bad idea.

The Cena one is interesting. On one hand, he did job cleanly to him at Wrestlemania. But on the other hand, that "you can't wrestle and you're only a star because of how you look and talk" build-up to the match was brutal. Triple H pretty much single-handedly started that "Cena is a joke and can't wrestle" meme that still haunts his career to this day. I don't know that Cena would have been any less of the star he became without that match.

My memory is that "Cena can't wrestle" is something that already out there. He must have been getting some anti-Cena chants when he was feuding with Chris Jericho the year before.

What about when Triple H beat Paul London and Brian Kendrick in an handicap match while they were still tag champs?

Was it a match? I thought HHH attacked them in the ring. Either way, that is nothing exclusive to Triple H. The Rock beat the Dudleys in a handicap match at the height of their popularity. CM Punk just beat the Shield 3 on 1.

If you hate how it happens once...  you should be consistent and hate all instances equally.

I'm fairly confident the crowds were already chanting "you can't wrestle" at Cena well before his feud with HHH. It was already a thing on the internet as well. Triple H played the role of smark internet fan and then Cena made him tap out. If that's not putting over someone's ability I don't know what is.

Even today..  Triple H is now playing the role of what internet fans perceive him to be and it's great. He's fully aware of what's going on.

I honestly can't recall "you can't wrestle" being a thing before that feud. Not saying it wasn't, I just can't remember. I do remember him getting booed in the Jericho feud, as LooseCannon mentioned. That was the first time the crowd really turned on him, but I don't recall that being a "You Can't Wrestle" thing as much as smarky fans just cheering for the guy they had been following for years (Jericho).

But there's no doubt that Triple H working into the feud took it from a very minor thing to being a major talking point that still follows Cena to this day. Cena isn't any worse a "wrestler" than Batista and is actually much, much better but "you can't wrestle" has never been a meme that followed Batista's career, probably because nobody ever brought it up on TV.

Triple H is a better worker than The Rock.

I very much disagree. 

The Rock is better at selling a beatdown (if a bit cartoonish, but hey, it's the WWF) and is so much better on offense that it isn't even close. 

The only place where HHH matches The Rock is in facial expressions, which I think both guys are awesome at. 

I'm pretty sure Jericho has never cleanly pinned HHH.  Not once.  Even the "title win" was a fast ref count. 

He tapped out to Benoit several times.  I would put him in that category.

I think Benoit and Batista are the only guys to pretty much definitively win a feud vs. Triple H. I don't recall Trips ever pinning him after the Mania loss and I don't think he's ever beaten Batista either.

Hey, remember when HHH squashed Sheamus worse than a jobber on an episode of superstars?

That 2/28/11 Raw sticks in my head as a complete burial. Served very little purpose other than to make HHH look good going into his feud with Taker.

Triple H is a better bumper than The Rock and I would say he sells better also. I mean, The Rock is great for what he does but it's all way over-the-top. Maybe it's a matter of preference. I like to see HHH bloodied up and crawling around like he's been through hell and back more than I want to see Rock's cartoon Road Runner facial expressions. Also, when Triple H exudes fear it is awesome. Look no further to when Taker kicked out of the tombstone at WMXXVII.  I also like Triple H more on offense. He tends to have a plan. I hate to use the word methodical because there are many others who do it better than Triple H but he at least makes sense in what he's doing. The Rock goes from move to move to move with no logical reason behind it. Why does he ever lock in the sharpshooter? It's never part of the plan.. there's no lead up... he just locks it in and nobody ever submits to it.

I like HHH on the mic but obviously The Rock is in a very special elite class.. so there's no reason to argue that.

• Like 2

Triple H beat Benoit in the build up to the Batista match.

Ah you're right. I remember he beat Benoit at a ppv in 2000 (Unforgiven?) but he never beat him on ppv after that as far as I remember. Benoit did win that feud though. Won the title from him and beat him in rematches. Lost it to Orton.

It doesn't really matter if Trips was better than the Rock(HE WAS). The Rock was the fucking super draw. And it's not like Cornette is saying Triple doesn't have an important spot to fill. You have to have the good workers to make the Top Guys look good. Triple H was great at being that guy, better than he was at being a Top Guy. 

• Like 2

HHH's "methodical" beatdowns don't work for me. His knee-based offense doesn't do much for me. And when he's on offense as a heel, there is just no one I'd rather watch less. His control segments are bland and never-ending. 

HHH is best when he's a heel that is eating offense and showing fear/taking shortcuts to escape with his life, in my opinion. However, I respect that you feel differently.

• Like 1

Whether or not you're a HHH fan, I find it very hard to argue with what Cornette said: that his long-ass promos are bad, (Not that he's a BAD promo, mind you, just that the guys who should get 20 minutes to talk are your absolutely best talkers, and HHH never was that,) and the reason he stayed so high on the card rather than dropping down like Jericho or Edge or basically everyone other than Cena over the past 6 or 7 years has done is because of who he married.

• Like 1

HHH is like the Miz with muscles. Any powerful guy who they have high hopes for as a possible future main eventer should be brought in as HHH's muscle and grown in that role until the time is right for him to turn face, whether because he has grown tired of HHH's ways or because HHH turns on him out of fear.