DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Agreed. It's like he's decided to go ahead and play the egomaniac, talent burying, bullshit artist that the dreaded IWC has made him out to be. Mind you, I've never thought he was the "once in a life time talent" that he and the WWE have tried to make him out to be but that's neither here nor there. I think Cornette said it best. "Triple HHH didn't draw money, he worked with guys that drew money."

Cornette is an idiot and that's a stupid fucking point to make.

He didn't say Trips didn't draw money. He said he's supposed to be used as the guy who works with the actual draw. Which is how he was used working with Rock. He said he's a good worker, but he's just not that guy - which I kind of agree with. I like a lot of Triple H stuff, but he's not a super-worker, and his promos aren't that hot either, especially if he goes over 5 minutes.

• Like 3

He didn't say Trips didn't draw money. He said he's supposed to be used as the guy who works with the actual draw. Which is how he was used working with Rock. He said he's a good worker, but he's just not that guy - which I kind of agree with. I like a lot of Triple H stuff, but he's not a super-worker, and his promos aren't that hot either, especially if he goes over 5 minutes.

There's a Wrestling With the Past Podcast where they talk about Hunter, and a lot of these same points come up.

2000 with his series of matches with Foley, IMO was his peak as a worker. 

Agreed. It's like he's decided to go ahead and play the egomaniac, talent burying, bullshit artist that the dreaded IWC has made him out to be. Mind you, I've never thought he was the "once in a life time talent" that he and the WWE have tried to make him out to be but that's neither here nor there. I think Cornette said it best. "Triple HHH didn't draw money, he worked with guys that drew money."

Cornette is an idiot and that's a stupid fucking point to make.

This. Yeah, I was paraphrasing from the source you actually used more accurately than I did.

Here's Corny's comments,

Here's what I think about HHH. His promos...I'd rather watch a dog lick its balls. Boring, and way too long. One time I had Raw on and he's talking, and then I go out to the garage and I get something, I come back and he's talking and he gets in the ring to wrestle. Okay so I go make myself a fucking sandwich and then I come back he's talking after he finished the fucking match. Good worker, student of the game, but he's the guy that works with the guy that draws the money. Would HHH unless he had married into the family been smashed into that spot year after year after year? With the interruptions for the injuries and the bland promos, would he have ever been in that spot if he was just...he's a good worker but he ain't Shawn Michaels as far as show-stealing, he ain't Steve Austin or the Rock as far as fucking mega-star, he ain't Mick Foley as far as talent. Does HHH get mentioned in with those guys, Flair, Foley, Taker, Austin, Rock, except in WWF-scripted fucking television commercials? No. He's the guy that works with the guy that draws the money.

• Like 2

Jim Cornette is entertaining & charismatic. He could read a shampoo bottle & I would be entertained by him doing so. That being said, a lot of his ideas nowadays are antiquated. I can listen to him tell old stories all day but I feel a lot of his rants & grudges are just from him being petty. It's too stressful to hold on to so much hostility, sometimes you just have to let shit go.

Great manager, great promo but just so damn bitter. All he seems to do is burn bridges.

I feel he would be best utilized as a creative mind in a group...but at the same time, I don't think he can work in groups because someone will irk him & he'll go off & blow up. It's a no-win situation.

• Like 1

Vince bringing Rousey in would end up being tremendous because if AJ went after Beadle for saying hi to Punk, you know she would have words for a woman that has openly admitted she wants to have sex with Punk.

No she didn't. She just called him sexy. That's not the same thing.

Vince bringing Rousey in would end up being tremendous because if AJ went after Beadle for saying hi to Punk, you know she would have words for a woman that has openly admitted she wants to have sex with Punk.

No she didn't. She just called him sexy. That's not the same thing.

Ah, I misread. Non intentional hyperbole. I think my point still stands.

• Like 1

So who do you all feel Triple H has really "put over" in his career?

I would say Batista for sure.

And I guess you would have to say that guy he tapped out to at that one Wrestlemania in New York in that three-way match. I remember watching it but when I search for it on WWE.com all I get is NO RECORD FOUND THIS MESSAGE WILL SELF-DESTRUCT IN 5 SECONDS GOODBYE.

Other than that... anybody else?

They way Triple H has always came off on TV to me when hes cutting promos or wrestling that hes tryng to convince himself he is as super over as he thinks. I never was a big fan of his hes always came off too strong to me. Just his whole "I'm the King of Kings rah rah rah" stuff and I dont know he just seems to think he did it all by himslef when that isnt true, Rock Austin and Foley helped him big time and being married to Steph and in love with Shawn (smarky joke bear with me) didnt hurt either.

Daniel Bryan is a better worker than both. That's irrelevant to the discussion.

I don't see how it's irrelevant to the discussion at all. Without Triple H, who is The Rock feuding with throughout 2000? He needed a guy like Triple H to bounce around and make it work. It's unreasonable to say The Rock could have had PPV matches and been involved in feuds with anyone and the results would have been the same. That's not how it played out.. so in my view, HHH deserves more credit than Cornette is giving him.

Triple H does not have to convince anyone he's over... btw..  the crowd reactions are always strong and if we look at the numbers, his segments are not losing viewers.. He's one of the biggest gainers in the company.

I know what the counterpoint is to that argument... "well, he's been pushed for so long..."   ... Umm, so has Orton and he turns people away. One day some of you will realize that there is a whole other world of fans out there and they like Triple H.

My current problem with HHH is if he can still wrestle then be a wrestler. I know he's been hurt a few times but he seems like he can still go when he wants. If he really wanted to make this boss HHH character work he needed to retire from the ring and then go off TV for like 2 years. Obviously his ego would never allow that. To me the boss can't be a guy who could also be champion.

Or going face to face with a guy who has been booked to BEAT Cena and Orton clean!

I don't think outside of Cena and Taker anyone has ever been booked as strong as HHH.

He's never been screwed over, he's never been made to look weak and he's always the guy who goes over on people.

Guys like Bryan haven't been given that shot to be an ass kicker like HHH has. The crowd has been programmed to think HHH is a God and can destroy everyone including Bork Lazer.

Edit: tablet typing

• Like 2

correct me if I'm wrong....  I want to take a look at what actually happened in the Brock Lesnar feud. I am recalling them getting into a confrontation where Brock smokes HHH and breaks his arm. Then, I believe they had a match and Brock smoked him again and broke his arm for the second time. Following this is the terrible street fight which I will grant you is long and boring and Triple H won via pin. The next match, in a cage, they fought toe to toe...  HHH got in a lot of offense and in the end Brock shook everything off hoisted Triple H up for the F5 and then planted him deep into the depths of hell.

I don't see how anyone could say Triple H dominated that feud.

• Like 1

Depends on your definition.

-He put over Ultimate Warrior in a big way, though his political power was low at the time.  Same with Henry Godwinn, though he won the feud, Godwinn was elevated after their feud.

-He put Jericho over pretty big a few times, but all anyone remembers is the later burial at WM.  The Dusty finish title match and subsequent rematch (That Trips had to cheat to win) made Jericho a star in WWE, rather than an IC title-level guy.  One can argue Jericho never would have been at a WM title match level later on, if not for the pre-Invasion elevation of Jericho and Benoit during the 2-man power trip angle.

-He put over Benjamin to try to make him a main event guy, it didn't work out.

-Batista.  That whole Evolution break-up angle cemented Batista as a main eventer.

It would be harder to argue what guys he honestly "buried"

-Booker T in that WM feud.

-Spirit Squad

who am I missing?

• Like 1

I'm not saying the Trips isn't a decent worker. I won't even argue that, based on ring work alone, he's better than the Rock. However, I just don't buy him as an all-time great worker/King of Kings/modern day Harley Race/Ric Flair hybrid that's booked as. That's where I leave it. I'm not enough of a student of the WWE to track his various feuds and storylines.

Depends on your definition.

-He put over Ultimate Warrior in a big way, though his political power was low at the time.  Same with Henry Godwinn, though he won the feud, Godwinn was elevated after their feud.

-He put Jericho over pretty big a few times, but all anyone remembers is the later burial at WM.  The Dusty finish title match and subsequent rematch (That Trips had to cheat to win) made Jericho a star in WWE, rather than an IC title-level guy.  One can argue Jericho never would have been at a WM title match level later on, if not for the pre-Invasion elevation of Jericho and Benoit during the 2-man power trip angle.

-He put over Benjamin to try to make him a main event guy, it didn't work out.

-Batista.  That whole Evolution break-up angle cemented Batista as a main eventer.

It would be harder to argue what guys he honestly "buried"

-Booker T in that WM feud.

-Spirit Squad

who am I missing?

Triple H put down John Cena's wrestling ability in the build to their WrestleMania 22 match in Chicago. Cena made Triple H tap out with the STFU in that match. Few saw that coming with Triple H losing two WrestleMania main events before this one and the crowd shots to the ending.

I'm pretty sure Jericho has never cleanly pinned HHH.  Not once.  Even the "title win" was a fast ref count. 

He tapped out to Benoit several times.  I would put him in that category.

correct me if I'm wrong....  I want to take a look at what actually happened in the Brock Lesnar feud. I am recalling them getting into a confrontation where Brock smokes HHH and breaks his arm. Then, I believe they had a match and Brock smoked him again and broke his arm for the second time. Following this is the terrible street fight which I will grant you is long and boring and Triple H won via pin. The next match, in a cage, they fought toe to toe...  HHH got in a lot of offense and in the end Brock shook everything off hoisted Triple H up for the F5 and then planted him deep into the depths of hell.

I don't see how anyone could say Triple H dominated that feud.

He did manage to cool off Brock's drawing power. After Cena, Brock should have NEVER lost. That way when he does, it means something.

• Like 2