DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Wcw_raven.jpg

He's the first one that comes to mind, but I'd have to think on the others.   But both WWE and WCW did it with him.

WWE did it with Jaques Rougeou as well, and Rotunda, and Windham, and Kama/Papa Shango techincally..

Ok, more than you'd think

You sound like you didn't grow up watching in the late 80s/early 90s where it happened constantly.

Well, I meant more recently, such as in the Raw era. And I think it is a decent springboard for people to come up with interesting posts about gimmick changes they liked.

Dolph Ziggler previously being Chavo Guerrero's caddy and a member of the Spirit Squad.

The older ones are the fun gimmick changes, though.

They were willing to ignore a world title reign to make an Iranian guy play an Iraqi guy instead.

They sold The Dragon as a new wrestler and ignored Ricky Steamboat

That tax man was never in the US Express

Fake Diesel wasn't pulling any teeth

Abe Knuckleball Schwartz/ original MVP wasn't repping Brooklyn

Zeb sort of counts but it could be argued that Colter is Uncle Zebekiah's last name, though then Bradshaw would say he was his uncle and didnt remind him of his uncle.

Tensai was acknowledged on his debut as being a former superstar who went to Japan.

The "Husky Harris" chants didn't last long, so Bray Wyatt could count.

Do they ever talk about K-Kwik when Truth is on?

Of course, going back a bit, you had Isaac Yankem -> Fake Diesel. Kane doesn't count due to the mask.

Damien Sandow was Idol Stevens.

Dustin Rhodes was in the WWF for a while in 90-91, I think.

It wasn't just Kama/Papa Shango, but Kama/Papa Shango/Godfather.

I'm assuming we're ignoring guys who transitioned from enhancement talent to superstars.

Stacy Keibler is so famous that nobody remembers that she did an episode of Tough Enough a couple of years ago.

- - -

Shield has easily been my favorite thing in WWE since they debuted.  Not sure you can just replace a member and replicate that team dynamic.

I'd say Jason Jordan, Oliver Grey, or a repackaged Camacho are probably the best choices for a new member.  Probably be better to just take those three guys and make them a group of their own rather than saddle one of them as being Roman Reigns' replacement though.

• Like 3

looking at the NXT roster for guys who could be like Reigns... Konnor from the Ascension (might need to turn out Rollins or Ambrose to put both Ascension guys in the Shield).. Leo Kruger (oh, wait, looked at height, he's 6'1 and Adam Rose now).. Mason Ryan.. Mojo Rawley... but that's just from looking at pictures.

Do they ever talk about K-Kwik when Truth is on?

Dustin Rhodes was in the WWF for a while in 90-91, I think.

It wasn't just Kama/Papa Shango, but Kama/Papa Shango/Godfather.

They always acknowledged Goldust was Dustin, didn't they? And Kama transitioned to Kama Mustafa which transitioned to The Godfather, so they didn't really act like he was different either, as I recall.

K-Kwik and R-Truth are essentially the same character, so I don't see why they'd bother to ignore any of that.

did they ever just rip off the Truth in TNA stuff randomly in the WWE or did they only do a "R-Truth is a crazy black guy" character for a few months? you'd think that while the whole Truth gimmick would age badly if he did it again in 2014, he would have more reasons to really do that now than he did in TNA in 2002.

TNA was for sale and Jarrett through his connections with the Nashville music industry and Keith in particular, tried to put together a bid to buy the company. The deal was very close at one point. Bob Carter came to Keith to finalize the deal and the two sides were close on a price, although they were not quite there. The belief is they were going to hash it out, but Carter only had one request in selling, which was that Dixie Carter would remain with her title, have some power in the company and remain a television character. Keith said he wasn’t going to buy the company with any creative limitations, so the deal actually fell apart because Bob Carter in the end was going to protect his daughter.

from the observer.

"Hey, please pay millions for our struggling company. Also, as part of the deal, you have to keep the person largely responsible for the company struggling around and with a significant amount of power."

Not since "Would you like to purchase land in Chernobyl?" has a business investment sounded less appetizing. 

• Like 2

How often does a promotion bring in a guy who has been there before and treat him as a new character without pissing off fans, especially of the smark-y variety? Without involving a mask?

you cant do it without pissing off the smarks. See...

Tensai

Ziggler

Ryback

Umaga

Bray

R truth

To name but a few.