DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

With the Network launching the very next day, I'm thinking Elimination Chamber could have one of the lowest buyrates ever. Which is a shame because the top two matches have been built to extroidinarily well.

I know it's keeping me from getting it.  Normally my friends and I split the cost at my house to watch them.  But now, knowing that from now on I'll be watching them for 10 bucks a month, I think we're just going to hit BW3's or something for Elimination Chamber.

I think everyone needs to stop fantasy booking interference in a cage match

Why? There is often interference in WWE's biggest name cage matches: HBK-Undertaker, Austin-McMahon, etc. etc. I could see if people were fantasy-booking blood or something that will never happen, but interference in a WWE cage match is pretty common.
More to the point, the Elimination Chamber door gets opened up whenever someone gets eliminated. Also, someone can just climb up through the grating.

I know what they should do Sunday...

During the intros, Orton enters first and goes into his pod. Bryan is next and goes into his pod. Cesaro out next and into his pod. Zeb and Swags come to the ring with him. Sheamus comes out and thumps his chest and fellas around and ends up jawing with Swagger. Christian is out next and THE MONSTER MENG! comes out of the crowd and beats the hell out of Christian. Sheamus goes out to the floor to help but Swagger attacks him and then BUNKHOUSE BUCK! comes out riding on a bear and Christian and Sheamus are left laying. Bunkhouse and the bear go into the Chamber and Bunkhouse tries to enter into Sheamus' pod. Vickie Guerrero comes out with a lipstick stained Colonel Parker and she gives the thumbs up to the refs and they officially allow Bunkhouse and the bear into the match. Orton is going nuts because he's been ducking Bunkhouse Buck for years. Bryan is amped because he really wants to wrestle a bear. Zeb is going crazy because he thinks the bear is Canadian.

Match starts with the bear and Cena. Cena runs like a bitch and he also tries to avoid the bear until Bunkhouse Buck enters and kicks Cena straight in the dick and the bear takes Cena down and pins him. Bryan in next and the bear easily tosses him around and pins him. Orton is in next and Buck punches him in the dick and then kicks him in the head and eliminates him. New champ guaranteed now. Cesaro in and he tries to swing the bear but the bear swings him instead and pins him. Meng forces the refs to keep the cage door open and the Colonel tells the bear to leave but then the lights go out and when they come back on, The Wyatt Family are in the ring and the bear has Buck covered. 1, 2, 3. The bear is the new WWE World Heavyweight Champion! Bray Wyatt puts his hat on the bear's head and also gives him a jug to drink out of and then he announces the new WWE World Heavyweight Champion to the audience as BEAR WYATT!

So at WrestleMania it's "Animal vs. Animal" with Batista challenging Bear Wyatt for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and a six-man tag team war with The Wyatt Family vs. The Real Americans and Bunkhouse Buck.

I'll have your baby (we'll find a way ...)

Variety is reporting that the WWE and NBC Universal have not been able to reach a deal on programming past the current contract.  WWE stock is down on the news.  The exclusive negotiating window for NBC has now passed and WWE is free to negotiate deals with any partner.  The report in Variety said that WWE may be open to splitting the programming up amongst multiple partners and that they still expect WWE and NBC to continue negotiations.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/wwe-nbcuniversal-television-deal-raw-smackdown-1201110680/

From the article:

When it comes to collecting premium advertising dollars, however, USA Network earns the lowest CPMs for “Raw” than other programs, sources say. Translation: the ads that air during “Raw” are cheap. While WWE wants to get the same kind of licensing fees sports orgs get, it will have to find ways to boost those CPMs to make it as valuable. One thing hurting it is that its top PPV event, “WrestleMania,” doesn’t air on USA, for example. “WrestleMania 30″ will stream live on the new WWE Network, that launches Feb. 24, and other PPV platforms, instead.

This brings up an interesting question: If the WWE allowed their next TV partner to air WrestleMania live OTA, would the ad prices for that show alone raise the worth of the WWE TV package enough to justify taking the show off PPV? 

For argument's sake, let's ignore that the show will also be available to stream on the WWE Network for now and just consider the TV/PPV tradeoff. 

If you were tasked with laying out a Cesaro match and had to have someone reverse the swing once he has them in the air and in full swing, what conceivable ways could it be done? 

The only thing I can think of is the person being swung somehow doing a sit-up, hooking Cesaro and DDT'ing him or something.

So exactly what Cena did?

• Like 1

I just don't see any other network giving them 3 hours

By all accounts (not rumblings), USA wanted 3 hours. I don't think WWE would be upset at going back to 2.

Supposedly, Vince gave in and took the show to three hours because ratings were down.  Per Meltzer, his thinking is to pump up the tv contract money by delivering more hours of content, since they no longer get the ratings they used to (and thus can't demand as much in negotiations).  It's somewhat a case of quantity over quality.

If you were tasked with laying out a Cesaro match and had to have someone reverse the swing once he has them in the air and in full swing, what conceivable ways could it be done? 

The only thing I can think of is the person being swung somehow doing a sit-up, hooking Cesaro and DDT'ing him or something.

So exactly what Cena did?

Cena wasn't quite in "full swing" though, eh?  I could see someone catching the ropes and Cesaro goes flying, though I don't see how that could be done without look really hokey.  Though I mean, we are talking about a giant swing.

Wrestling has always been screwed when it comes to television rights because it doesn't appeal to the "right" kind of viewers. Conversely, I remember hearing Hannibal, while it wasn't that well rated, always did well with more affluent viewers hence why it got brought back for season 2 by NBC.

So, I guess the point of this post is: WWE needs more opera music and cannibals.

I would assume that it's only for Elimination Chamber in hopes that people will still order it.

Also, that "right viewer" thing is BS. It may have been the case years ago.. but when I go to a WWE event these days it's not a bunch of trashy folk for lack of a better term. The ticket prices have gone up. It's mostly families and middle to upper middle class. The people who do actually buy the products they'd want to advertise.

Wrestling has always been screwed when it comes to television rights because it doesn't appeal to the "right" kind of viewers. Conversely, I remember hearing Hannibal, while it wasn't that well rated, always did well with more affluent viewers hence why it got brought back for season 2 by NBC.

So, I guess the point of this post is: WWE needs more opera music and cannibals.

St. Elsewhere was another example of a show with low ratings, but high ad revenue because of the kind of viewers it attracts. WWE does better ratings than NASCAR, you would think that they could use that as leverage. The WWE/NASCAR demographics have to be pretty similar, right?