DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

There's terrible promotion then there's TNA's promotion

TNA needs to go out of business so Vince can buy it, take its library and release a "Rise and Fall of TNA" DVD. I can only imagine what/who Vince would include.

To "rise and fall" you first have to rise. TNA's DVD would more likely be called "The History of The Decline and Fall of TNA Wrestling" or something.

• Like 2

There's terrible promotion then there's TNA's promotion

TNA needs to go out of business so Vince can buy it, take its library and release a "Rise and Fall of TNA" DVD. I can only imagine what/who Vince would include.

To "rise and fall" you first have to rise. TNA's DVD would more likely be called "The History of The Decline and Fall of TNA Wrestling" or something.

I am just picturing an Ultimate Warrior DVD style slam job, complete with Brooklyn Brawler randomly appearing to tell us how bad TNA was. 

• Like 3

I remember going to see Killer Joe and there were, no joke, about 4 other people in the theater.

I imagine this is what going to a TNA house show feels like nowadays. 

This is a fun game. 

Truth.....I saw Catwoman in the theater because I had a free pass to.  There were literally two other people in the theater besides me.  Even though it was free, the movie was so bad that I felt ripped off.  And even though the other two people were seeing the same movie I was, I was embarrassed that other humans saw me in that theater. 

THAT is how I imagine going to a TNA show these days feels.

Film reviewer Mark Kermode once told a story about going to see Jack and Jill. He was the only one in the theater. It was him and the projectionist. At the end, he walked out and caught the eye of the man. They shared a mutual look of shame and disgust then Kermode walked away and didn't look back.

I imagine this is what it's like going to a TNA house show.

• Like 5

Wasn't Jarrett basically a comedy act on his way out of the WWE? IC Champ sure but at that point the belt was sort of a novelty to experiment with Chyna's drawing power. Losing a "good housekeeping match" to her in his last match is close enough to comedy for me. Nobody wanted the likes of Chyna or Jarrett near the World Title at any time in the WWE but at least Chyna was given the belt as a sort of a trial whereas a guy like Jarrett was simply maxing out his upward mobility at that section of the midcard. As for Stone Cold nixing a program with Jarrett, there was as little reason or interest for a Stone Cold/Jarrett program as there was him feuding with Road Dogg or Billy Gunn. Jarrett was just some midcard cracker not worth Austin's time.

So what does idiot Vince Russo do to make WCW look as bush league as possible? Give this corny wannabe badass version of Jarrett (with side of HTM tribute act) a bunch of short World Title runs to devalue that belt as much as possible. Come to think of it the WCW Title might as well have been the USWA Unified Championship the way it switched from week to week and sometimes hour to hour.

Between that and the way Bret Hart bounced between face and heel and from World Title to US Title level Russo sure was the drizzling shits at utilizing these guys he'd already booked in the WWE.

^ This is a good example of revisionist history. 

In 1999, Jarrett was very over as Intercontinental Champion. He had just come off a tag team with Owen Hartthat was pretty over and had feuded with Edge and D'Lo Brown over the summer. The woman beater gimmick only really started in the last 2 months of his run in the WWF. I honestly can't think of a time when Jarrett was given a chance to work in the upper card during his WWF tenure. In 2000 WCW, Jarrett was one of the few bright spots and get shafted because he's so closely associated with the shitstorm that was WCW 2000. 

As for Chyna, she was briefly the #1 contender for the WWF Championship in August of that year and went on to feud with Chris Jericho after the Jarrett feud. The whole point of that feud was Chyna rising above the patriarchy and defeating the asshole.

Who's the highest profile guy Jarrett ever feuded with in the WWE? HBK in the mid-nineties well before Michaels had risen up the card?

What about his previous stint in WCW? Who was he even primarily feuding with? Mongo McMichael?

I rest my case.

He was a career midcarder until his return to WCW in 2000.

Jarrett jammed in all of the sudden as lead heel beating people with Honky Tonk Man's guitar shots was shit for even the massive flustercluck that was WCW 2000. Now it could've been somewhat fun if Jarrett was doing his hokey little cornball heel act as US Champ but he was dragging down the World Title with that goofy shit every week. That's not to say WCW wasn't doing other things much, much worse. But Jarrett suddenly rising to top heel was a joke after so long as utilitarian midcard act in both WWE and his previous WCW stint.

I-C Champ was the kayfabe no. 1 contender for the World Title? Well...duh. But was it treated as such on their actual TV programs or only just in Apter mags? I sure don't remember them ever teasing that Chyna might rise beyond the I-C Title.

• Like 1

I remember going to see Killer Joe and there were, no joke, about 4 other people in the theater.

I imagine this is what going to a TNA house show feels like nowadays.

This is a fun game. 

Truth.....I saw Catwoman in the theater because I had a free pass to.  There were literally two other people in the theater besides me.  Even though it was free, the movie was so bad that I felt ripped off.  And even though the other two people were seeing the same movie I was, I was embarrassed that other humans saw me in that theater. 

THAT is how I imagine going to a TNA show these days feels.

Ho boy, do I got some strange ones.

Natural Born Killers when I was 13 with my folks and little brother with maybe four other people in the theater. Nope, my parents weren't the types to win any good parenting awards. And The Mist with my brother and two other people in the theater.

Who's the highest profile guy Jarrett ever feuded with in the WWE? HBK in the mid-nineties well before Michaels had risen up the card?

He had an on-again, off-again feud with DX , who were the biggest non-NWO group in the world at the time, including PPV matches against X-Pac (hair-vs-hair), a 6 man with the group sans HHH, and another against the NAO.

What about his previous stint in WCW? Who was he even primarily feuding with? Mongo McMichael?

At the end of the run (as his contract was running out) he was used to get Mongo over.  But prior to that, he was involved in angles with The Four Horsemen and Ric Flair, as well as an on-air suggestion that he was being heavily recruited by the NWO.

There's no question Jarrett was rocketed up the card too quickly in WCW, but it's not quite as quick as you suggest and not all at Russo's behest.  He came in the mid-card under Russo, then started feuding (a little) with World Champion Sid while Russo was gone, so he'd already been elevated into the main event scene well before Russo and Bischoff came back.

You also have to understand the point of Jarrett as a top heel in WCW.  Most of WCW's heels were way over (Nash, Steiner, Goldberg, all had unsuccesful heel runs, largely because the crowd wouldn't stop cheering them) and you couldn't get the crowd to boo them.  They were all too happy to boo Jarrett, so he had some value as a foil for the babyfaces, someone the crowd won't suddenly decide to cheer for against the guy you're pushing as a hero.  He should have stayed pretty constantly around the World Title scene until Lance Storm was ready to take over that mantle, because he wasn't in any danger of turning himself face the way the more popular heels often did and could have perfectly serviceable matches with anyone.  I think if WCW had continued on, he would have been really valuable in an Alberto Del Rio way, a guy you can throw into main events when need be, or drop further down the card if you've got other guys there.

His booking in TNA is completely inexcusable, though, how he stayed on top well after crowds had completely turned on him and ignored the possible elevation of other talents (Raven, Killings, etc.) by keeping Double J needlessly on top.  It probably would have buoyed his career to have shuffled him a little further down the card for longer periods, perhaps in a tag team, or something, instead of him being so constantly on top.

I saw Spring Breakers super baked with my brother at midnight with 8 other people in the theater and a lady (I use that term loosely) in the row behind us starting blowing her date with like 30 minutes left in the movie and two people sitting In the same row as this couple stormed out of the theater.

• Like 1

He had an on-again, off-again feud with DX , who were the biggest non-NWO group in the world at the time, including PPV matches against X-Pac (hair-vs-hair), a 6 man with the group sans HHH, and another against the NAO.

At the end of the run (as his contract was running out) he was used to get Mongo over.  But prior to that, he was involved in angles with The Four Horsemen and Ric Flair, as well as an on-air suggestion that he was being heavily recruited by the NWO.

There's no question Jarrett was rocketed up the card too quickly in WCW, but it's not quite as quick as you suggest and not all at Russo's behest.  He came in the mid-card under Russo, then started feuding (a little) with World Champion Sid while Russo was gone, so he'd already been elevated into the main event scene well before Russo and Bischoff came back.

You also have to understand the point of Jarrett as a top heel in WCW.  Most of WCW's heels were way over (Nash, Steiner, Goldberg, all had unsuccesful heel runs, largely because the crowd wouldn't stop cheering them) and you couldn't get the crowd to boo them.  They were all too happy to boo Jarrett, so he had some value as a foil for the babyfaces, someone the crowd won't suddenly decide to cheer for against the guy you're pushing as a hero.  He should have stayed pretty constantly around the World Title scene until Lance Storm was ready to take over that mantle, because he wasn't in any danger of turning himself face the way the more popular heels often did.

That last part makes a ton of sense and I never really looked at things from that perspective. Of course, there are varying degrees of boo. "Boo!" because this perennial WWE midcard rinky dink hick is suddenly winning the world title every other week with an eighties international object isn't necessarily good heat. Did anyone want to see Honky Tonk Man barge into WCW circa '89 or '90 and take the title off Steamboat and Sting via guitar shots? Not to downgrade Jarrett mind you who's had a much longer and well rounded career than HTM who was a flash in the pan. But that's just to illustrate how I felt about Jarrett at the time. It was just all too random and all too silly. Those kind of wacky slapnuts hijinks should've been relegated to the U.S. Title or even the Television Title.

Because to me and I'm sure many others it just made the World Title and WCW as a whole seem rinky dink that Jarrett was winning or losing the belt every three to six weeks and winning it with the same lame guitar shot.

1) wasn't almost everybody getting loud responses in 1999 WWF?

2) people at TNA House Shows also include people who "won" radio contests and got freebie tickets, don't forget that

3) I was once half of an audience watching Napoleon Dynamite at like 2pm midweek before ND really started to generate some ticket sales. I also was the entire audience for a showing of Team America, but it was a theater that showed movies a few months after they were first released.

When JURASSIC PARK hit a discount theater near me close to the end of its initial Summer run, I went through a weird phase of just biking down there and buying a ticket and hanging out all day watching it.  Like, I literally had nothing better to do with my time at that particular moment in it and it was air conditioned and was still a movie theater with a pretty big screen and the whole ambiance.

I was utterly alone in that theater watching JP in the front row at least half a dozen times over those days. 

It was a strange pilgrimage. 

• Like 2

As for Chyna, she was briefly the #1 contender for the WWF Championship in August of that year and went on to feud with Chris Jericho after the Jarrett feud. The whole point of that feud was Chyna rising above the patriarchy and defeating the asshole.

That was the point of the feud with Jericho, too, but this time the fans liked the asshole better.

• Like 1

I saw Spring Breakers super baked with my brother at midnight with 8 other people in the theater and a lady (I use that term loosely) in the row behind us starting blowing her date with like 30 minutes left in the movie and two people sitting In the same row as this couple stormed out of the theater.

Taking us full circle, isn't that the film with the Jeff Jarrett cameo midway through?

• Like 1

That was the point of the feud with Jericho, too, but this time the fans liked the asshole better.

Sort of. It was more the fans rejecting the booking of Jericho. Jericho was even saying at the time that he thought Kevin Nash was sabotaging him through HHH to justify not pushing him in WCW.

People are talking about Jarrett winning and losing the WCW Belt all the time. This might be true, but it wasn't like WWE was booked all that differently back then (remember that Jarrett beat The Godfather of all people for his last IC Title). Jarrett didn't come in as the main-event guy in WCW, he was brought in as 'The Ch-ch-chosen One" at US Title level and was later pushed to main-event status. He had a horrible finish (say what you like about the Miz, he just about makes the Skull Crushing Finale work), but as has been said - he got consistent heel heat and played the role of 'talented and crafted wrestler who yet doesn't quite deserve to be champion' fairly well. 

WCW, and Russo particularly, didn't have any idea how to book PPVs. That wasn't Jarrett's fault.

Jarrett won the IC title 2 other times after the title win against The Godfather. He defeated Edge at Fully Loaded in july (Edge one day title reign) and he defeated D-Lo a month later for both the IC and European title at Summerslam.

Christ - so he did. D-Lo having both belts was fun.

Taking us full circle, isn't that the film with the Jeff Jarrett cameo midway through?
His cameo is almost right away and is totally outta nowhere me and my brother were like holy shit what
  • Like 2

I saw Team America at a dollar theater and the only other people there were a lady and her son, who looked to be about 7 or 8.  They left during the sex scene.

I saw Team America at a dollar theater and the only other people there were a lady and her son, who looked to be about 7 or 8.  They left during the sex scene.

Who says "I know this movie with puppets is Rated R but how bad could it be?"

That was pretty much what I thought, too.

I think this, above anything else said in this thread, is the best commentary on Jarrett's drawing power

• Like 1