DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm not going to argue that it is objectively the best, but my favorite Elimination Chamber match is probably the World Heavyweight Championship match from the 2012 Elimination Chamber PPV. 

I particularly enjoyed Barrett and Rhodes temporarily becoming a team-up of doom for a couple of those eliminations. They were awesome in there. Then, the finishing run with Bryan and Santino was great, with the added effect of the crowd also being hyped for Santino almost winning. 

I have to second the love for the WHC 2012 Elimination Chamber. You wouldn't expect much from a chamber with Show, Khali and Santino in it but it all is played well. That SummerSlam 2003 is garbage, probably only on there because of who is in it. The NYR'06 one is more about setting up for Edge's cash in, not that it is a terrible match but Edge-Cena is more memorable given it was the first time anyone used the MITB.

• Like 1

wwe.com's top ten Elimination Chamber matches:

#10 Batista vs. Big Daddy V vs. The Undertaker vs. Finlay vs. The Great Khali vs. MVP (No Way Out 2008)

#9 Daniel Bryan vs. Big Show vs. Wade Barrett vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Santino Marella vs. The Great Khali (Elimination Chamber 2012)

#8 John Cena vs. Sheamus vs. CM Punk vs. Randy Orton vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth (Elimination Chamber 2011)

#7 The Undertaker vs. R-Truth vs. John Morrison vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk (Elimination Chamber 2010)

#6 Edge vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Big Show vs. Bad News Barrett vs. Drew McIntyre (Elimination Chamber 2011)

#5 Jeff Hardy vs. Chris Jericho vs. JBL vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H vs. Umaga (No Way Out 2008)

#4 John Cena vs. Edge vs. Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Mike Knox (No Way Out 2009)

#3 John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle vs. Carlito vs. Chris Masters vs. Kane (New Year’s Revolution 2006)

#2 Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho vs. Randy Orton vs. Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash (SummerSlam 2003)

#1 Triple H vs. Booker T vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane vs. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series 2002)

http://www.wwe.com/shows/eliminationchamber/10-best-elimination-chamber-matches

I disagree with the placement of the SummerSlam 2003 EC match. Haven't watched them for a while but here's my top five if you weeeelll:

5. John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle vs. Carlito vs. Chris Masters vs. Kane (New Year’s Revolution 2006)

4. John Cena vs. Sheamus vs. CM Punk vs. Randy Orton vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth (Elimination Chamber 2011)

3. Triple H vs. Booker T vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane vs. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series 2002)

2. Edge vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Big Show vs. Bad News Barrett vs. Drew McIntyre (Elimination Chamber 2011)

1. John Cena vs. Edge vs. Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Mike Knox (No Way Out 2009)

The first three are especially great.

I'd agree with that but the WWE.com rule is that if Michaels or HHH are in the matches shortlisted, they must be bumped up five places. The debut chamber is really fun but not close to any chamber with Rey bumping around like a mad man.

• Like 1

I agree completely with your list. I remember think the 2003 EC was a garbage match really just designed as a showcase for Goldberg.

And since Triple H won, it failed at even that.

I disagree insofar as the match was obviously a showcase for BLARGGGH nefarious mastermind Triple H to wipe his cunning prick BLARGGGH all over Goldberg's veneer of invulnerability. Goldberg taking out three other guys in rapid fashion beforehand just made Triple's prick all the more glistening once his devious machinations came to fruition.

It's like nothing was learned at all from the cattle prod ripoff dipshit Nash perpetrated as booker. Allegedly. "YERPA DERPA....we have no idea how to end the streak so why not just do this insipid bullshit that immediately leads nowhere the very next night? Just as well."

I agree completely with your list. I remember think the 2003 EC was a garbage match really just designed as a showcase for Goldberg.

I disagree insofar as the match was obviously a showcase for BLARGGGH nefarious mastermind Triple H to wipe his cunning prick BLARGGGH all over Goldberg's veneer of invulnerability. Goldberg taking out three other guys in rapid fashion beforehand just made Triple's prick all the more glistening once his devious machinations came to fruition.

It's like nothing was learned at all from the cattle prod ripoff dipshit Nash perpetrated as booker. Allegedly. "YERPA DERPA....we have no idea how to end the streak so why not just do this insipid bullshit that immediately leads nowhere the very next night? Just as well."

The booking was made even more narcissistic by the fact that Goldberg won the belt the next month anyway. Other than making Triple H look like a God among men who can outsmart anyone, there was literally no reason for Goldberg to lose. If I recall correctly, HHH was even injured going into the SummerSlam match.

The booking was made even more narcissistic by the fact that Goldberg won the belt the next month anyway. Other than making Triple H look like a God among men who can outsmart anyone, there was literally no reason for Goldberg to lose. If I recall correctly, HHH was even injured going into the SummerSlam match.

I may not be remembering this right, but I think Triple H's injury was the reason he won. I don't think he could bump properly enough to get destroyed by Goldberg. He didn't do much in that match.

I may not be remembering this right, but I think Triple H's injury was the reason he won. I don't think he could bump properly enough to get destroyed by Goldberg. He didn't do much in that match.

If I recall correctly, he only appeared for a couple of minutes total. If HHH couldn't bump, there had to be a way to get the belt off of him without having Goldberg take a fall. Writing the injury into the storyline and having HHH not be able to compete in the EC would've probably been the best move. Goldberg still wins and then goes on to defeat Triple H at Unforgiven.

...and did that Unforgiven (?) match the next month suck, too. Long, plodding, and had the issue of 2/3 of the match being HHH poking along on offense and Goldberg trying to sell, which are the things that both of these guys respectively sort of stink at. 

That singles match should have been Goldberg killing HHH until HHH used a thumb to the eye or kick to the balls to run away and bait Goldberg into more mistakes, putting HHH on short control segments that Goldberg would counter and go back to rag-dolling HHH again. Also, it should have been 10-12 minutes shorter. 

• Like 1

This is exactly right. They felt it would be better for Goldberg to destroy Triple H in convincing fashion, which he did. He killed Hunter and all of Evolution on his way to the title. There are people that will argue SummerSlam killed Goldberg's momentum but it's BS..  There's no evidence to suggest that. I was in Worcester when Goldberg faced The Rock. It was a 90% Rock crowd. There was one tiny little section rooting for Goldberg. In my view, he was never as over in the northeast as he was in the south.

They felt it would be better for Goldberg to destroy Triple H in convincing fashion, which he did.

Who felt it would be better? Did someone say this on record somewhere?

It just seems like a recent thing where everyone's like "this was done because they wanted this" and really it's just people making things up.

EDIT: for the record I'm not accusing you of just making that shit up

guessing that the Mistico experience probably means that the WWE isn't going to bring the Psycho Circus aboard (or just sign Murder Clown and find two WWE-approved guys to get frightening clown gimmicks).

Like you wouldn't book Psycho Circus/Wyatts or Psycho Circus/Shield matches all day

*skims LuchaWiki*

oh yes, Super Porky is Psycho Clown's father. I'm pretty sure Super Porky had a pretty plush Money:Matches ratio for his WWE Minis stint

• Like 1

Weird random stuff i'm doing: looking at wrestlers FindAGrave pages (I went there since the JYD Wikipedia mentioned that his grave was unmarked but got a headstone in 2012). I don't think it's exactly a photo thread topic. But.. yeah.

Some people are the weird type who take photos of headstones to upload on there. There's a rubberband on the Lou Albano headstone. Yokozuna's headstone contains some philosophy/assurances. Moolah appears to have a mausoleum

Heel Jarrett with Southern Comfort as his heavys couldve lead to a fun IC title run or something.

It essentially did, since the "Don't Piss Me Off" version of Jarrett basically started then and continued into the last 3 of his 6 IC title reigns the next year.

guessing that the Mistico experience probably means that the WWE isn't going to bring the Psycho Circus aboard (or just sign Murder Clown and find two WWE-approved guys to get frightening clown gimmicks).

Like you wouldn't book Psycho Circus/Wyatts or Psycho Circus/Shield matches all day

*skims LuchaWiki*

oh yes, Super Porky is Psycho Clown's father. I'm pretty sure Super Porky had a pretty plush Money:Matches ratio for his WWE Minis stint

I'd sign the clowns and fucking love them so much, but you really need to be watching the Inferno Rockers, who are the real best AAA trio

I watched the Circus/Secta trios title match today, and decided to not put it on the 2014 matches thread after the ending (but maybe that match is just gonna build to a bigger match! or something). Apparently murderous clowns are more popular in Mexico than Goths.

*Checks LuchaWiki*

so are you saying that the WWE will look at the Infierno Rockers and decide to sign Uro Rocker?