DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Widowmaker was fine, because it was basically Windham doing his heel character from WCW.  The Stalker was just a vaguely-defined character anybody could've played.

It's just a shame what happened to Windham in 1989 with everything that was going on around him because my understanding is that Hogan hand-picked him to eventually work a house show run.

So what did The Stalker do? it seemed to be militant themed.

I may have told this story on this board before, but I was there live for the In Your House: Buried Alive PPV. There was a dark match that featured Justin Hawk Bradshaw vs. The Stalker. But by this time, Barry seemed to give not one single fuck and came to the ring wearing a WWF T shirt, tennis shoes, and orange camouflage Zubaz looking pants. Being a big Barry Windham fan, that was kind of a bummer to see.

How many matches did he actually have? I remember him having some vignettes featuring him in the woods with facepaint blending iinto the background and some tag match with Rock or Mero before ss then promptly vanishing. Maybe his camo skills were just that good.

And I am NOT disrespecting BW at all. One of my all time favorite wrestlers EVER. When I was a young true believer I was devastated that he would cast his lot with the evil Four Horsemen. Although it's considered borderline sacrilege in some circles, I'd almost rather watch Flair vs. Windham than Flair vs. Steamboat.

The absolute best heel turn I ever saw as a kid.  So effective that I couldn't even bring myself to root for him again once he mended his ways and started teaming with Dustin Rhodes.

• Like 2

Windham debuted as the Stalker on 8/19/96 (taped for 9/9/96). He beat TL Hopper and the Goon in his first two matches. Then he worked with Lawler for a few weeks in early September 1996. Then he worked Bradshaw in October 96. Worked Austin a few times in late October. Then they had Bradshaw talking about how dumb he looked in the outfit in December, then he disappeared until the New Blackjacks debuted on 2/17/97.

Windham turned heel on Bradshaw in January 98 (in a Jarrett v. Bradshaw match... Windham was with Jarrett in a Shotgun match taped before he turned heel to align with Jarrett). Windham's last WWE match was in May 98

Didn't Windham wrestle Jeff Jarrett for some title during the NWA angle?  My memories of that period are hazy.

yeah, for the vaunted NWA North American title. Then apparently Cornette gave Windham the NA title for a few days after Jarrett switched to his old gimmick (while managed by Tennessee Lee)

You'd think Vince would just make Fuller do a gimmick that made fun of Ted Turner

I watched some of that. So many double leg takedowns and so much aimless punching. Not to mention flip-flopping on letting Dan Severn compete (because if not for Dr. Death tearing up his knee and getting KOed, Severn probably beats Williams in a non-worked BFA match, a very boring BFA match, but still)

If I'm not mistaken, Canterbury came back way too soon from the broken neck suffered against LOD. Southern Comfort would definitely fit in the Attitude era. Two hillbilly booze-hound street pimps. Take it a step further and make them coke dealers, who always have a glass of SoCo & lime with them. Christopher Daniels and his appletini would have had nothing on that.

• Like 2

so you're suggesting that Southern Comfort hook up with Droz and Key?

"We got Hawk addicted to drugs to avenge Mark's broken neck!"

What's even better about how Severn was in BFA for one match and then left was him declaring he proved all he needed to prove by beating the Godfather. Also no comment about the idea of "let's have a tournament that Doc will surely win" involving "let's match him against a guy with an eyepatch in round one"

Southern Comfort could have been higher up in the drug game and dealt with the Colombians (repackaged Los Boricuas?) and Droz and Key could have been the lower level street dealers that the average person went to score their smaller amounts from.

wwe.com's top ten Elimination Chamber matches:

#10 Batista vs. Big Daddy V vs. The Undertaker vs. Finlay vs. The Great Khali vs. MVP (No Way Out 2008)

#9 Daniel Bryan vs. Big Show vs. Wade Barrett vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Santino Marella vs. The Great Khali (Elimination Chamber 2012)

#8 John Cena vs. Sheamus vs. CM Punk vs. Randy Orton vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth (Elimination Chamber 2011)

#7 The Undertaker vs. R-Truth vs. John Morrison vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk (Elimination Chamber 2010)

#6 Edge vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Big Show vs. Bad News Barrett vs. Drew McIntyre (Elimination Chamber 2011)

#5 Jeff Hardy vs. Chris Jericho vs. JBL vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H vs. Umaga (No Way Out 2008)

#4 John Cena vs. Edge vs. Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Mike Knox (No Way Out 2009)

#3 John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle vs. Carlito vs. Chris Masters vs. Kane (New Year’s Revolution 2006)

#2 Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho vs. Randy Orton vs. Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash (SummerSlam 2003)

#1 Triple H vs. Booker T vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane vs. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series 2002)

http://www.wwe.com/shows/eliminationchamber/10-best-elimination-chamber-matches

I disagree with the placement of the SummerSlam 2003 EC match. Haven't watched them for a while but here's my top five if you weeeelll:

5. John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle vs. Carlito vs. Chris Masters vs. Kane (New Year’s Revolution 2006)

4. John Cena vs. Sheamus vs. CM Punk vs. Randy Orton vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth (Elimination Chamber 2011)

3. Triple H vs. Booker T vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane vs. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series 2002)

2. Edge vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Big Show vs. Bad News Barrett vs. Drew McIntyre (Elimination Chamber 2011)

1. John Cena vs. Edge vs. Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Mike Knox (No Way Out 2009)

The first three are especially great.

I'm not going to argue that it is objectively the best, but my favorite Elimination Chamber match is probably the World Heavyweight Championship match from the 2012 Elimination Chamber PPV. 

I particularly enjoyed Barrett and Rhodes temporarily becoming a team-up of doom for a couple of those eliminations. They were awesome in there. Then, the finishing run with Bryan and Santino was great, with the added effect of the crowd also being hyped for Santino almost winning. 

I have to second the love for the WHC 2012 Elimination Chamber. You wouldn't expect much from a chamber with Show, Khali and Santino in it but it all is played well. That SummerSlam 2003 is garbage, probably only on there because of who is in it. The NYR'06 one is more about setting up for Edge's cash in, not that it is a terrible match but Edge-Cena is more memorable given it was the first time anyone used the MITB.

• Like 1

wwe.com's top ten Elimination Chamber matches:

#10 Batista vs. Big Daddy V vs. The Undertaker vs. Finlay vs. The Great Khali vs. MVP (No Way Out 2008)

#9 Daniel Bryan vs. Big Show vs. Wade Barrett vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Santino Marella vs. The Great Khali (Elimination Chamber 2012)

#8 John Cena vs. Sheamus vs. CM Punk vs. Randy Orton vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth (Elimination Chamber 2011)

#7 The Undertaker vs. R-Truth vs. John Morrison vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk (Elimination Chamber 2010)

#6 Edge vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Big Show vs. Bad News Barrett vs. Drew McIntyre (Elimination Chamber 2011)

#5 Jeff Hardy vs. Chris Jericho vs. JBL vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H vs. Umaga (No Way Out 2008)

#4 John Cena vs. Edge vs. Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Mike Knox (No Way Out 2009)

#3 John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle vs. Carlito vs. Chris Masters vs. Kane (New Year’s Revolution 2006)

#2 Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho vs. Randy Orton vs. Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash (SummerSlam 2003)

#1 Triple H vs. Booker T vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane vs. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series 2002)

http://www.wwe.com/shows/eliminationchamber/10-best-elimination-chamber-matches

I disagree with the placement of the SummerSlam 2003 EC match. Haven't watched them for a while but here's my top five if you weeeelll:

5. John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle vs. Carlito vs. Chris Masters vs. Kane (New Year’s Revolution 2006)

4. John Cena vs. Sheamus vs. CM Punk vs. Randy Orton vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth (Elimination Chamber 2011)

3. Triple H vs. Booker T vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane vs. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series 2002)

2. Edge vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Big Show vs. Bad News Barrett vs. Drew McIntyre (Elimination Chamber 2011)

1. John Cena vs. Edge vs. Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Mike Knox (No Way Out 2009)

The first three are especially great.

I'd agree with that but the WWE.com rule is that if Michaels or HHH are in the matches shortlisted, they must be bumped up five places. The debut chamber is really fun but not close to any chamber with Rey bumping around like a mad man.

• Like 1