DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Are there any sites that cross-reference what matches are already on other DVD sets? I've been optimistic about this set, but some of these matches are suspect to me ... plus, any Flair/Steamboat match that shows up at this stage of the DVD game makes me cringe.

Holy fuck, the Windham/Luger cage match is showing up on a second dvd release..

Still the most fucking bizarre and surreal scene to watch.

I've never seen this one. Explain yourself, mister.

The one where instead of Luger finally beating Flair, who had jumped ship to WWF at this time, fans get subjected to probably one of the top three worst shows of all time? Barry Windham, perenial midcarder is suddenly #1 contender? Luger randomly turns heel with Harley Race? Where the crowd chants WE WANT FLAIR the entire show? Yeah, that is odd it is on TWO sets now.

• Like 2

Holy fuck, the Windham/Luger cage match is showing up on a second dvd release..

Still the most fucking bizarre and surreal scene to watch.

I've never seen this one. Explain yourself, mister.

WCW fired Ric Flair the week before he was supposed to drop the tile to Luger.

The best thing about that match was the ridiculous belt they made for it.

IIRC, they reused one of Dusty's FCW belts for the night and then scrambled to create their own title belt. Not sure if it passed the test any better than when the WWF had to use a tag belt for the Flair title belt after they got trademark called on them.

You'd think they'd have some spare title belt not currently in use to use for a Flair belt instead of the tag team title belt. Heck, have Ric Flair defeat Virgil and carry around a pixelized Million Dollar title belt for a few months

I don't think they had started having multiple sets of belts for a few more years when Flair had the pixelated belt, although I wonder why they just didn't go dig up the Hogan '86 belt for Flair to carry around.  Its not like Vince doesn't keep EVERYTHING that was ever seen on TV, and the Hogan '86, No Holes Barred, and Andre Belts weren't used for more than a couple months.

I dug the WCW Belt that showed up after Bash.  Too bad it got ditched forever when the Big Gold came back and got unified, and they made the Big Gold top again.

I don't think they had started having multiple sets of belts for a few more years when Flair had the pixelated belt, although I wonder why they just didn't go dig up the Hogan '86 belt for Flair to carry around.  Its not like Vince doesn't keep EVERYTHING that was ever seen on TV, and the Hogan '86, No Holes Barred, and Andre Belts weren't used for more than a couple months.

I dug the WCW Belt that showed up after Bash.  Too bad it got ditched forever when the Big Gold came back and got unified, and they made the Big Gold top again.

Warrior had at least four different belts that matched whatever face paint color scheme he was into for that night (which I think kind of cheapened it).  So they had multiple belts as far back as 1990.

IIRC, they reused one of Dusty's FCW belts for the night and then scrambled to create their own title belt. Not sure if it passed the test any better than when the WWF had to use a tag belt for the Flair title belt after they got trademark called on them.

You'd think they'd have some spare title belt not currently in use to use for a Flair belt instead of the tag team title belt. Heck, have Ric Flair defeat Virgil and carry around a pixelized Million Dollar title belt for a few months

It was, in fact, the old NWA Western States Heritage Title.

I always hated the idea of the Western States belt. You're included in the US title. What more do you want? Why not a New England belt? The NY/NJ/CT Tri-State area? The Midwest title? The Florida gulf coast?  The Alaska/Hawaii title?

Ok, yeah. I knew the cirumstances of the match. I just didn't know if anything oddball happened in the actual in-ring work to make it stranger than it was already destined to be.

It reminds me a bit of the Punk vs Jericho cage match from a year or two ago where due to the PG environment they couldn't really use the cage for much. It's not just bloodless but heatless in that it's a cage match where there's no real sense that the two guys hate each other. Yes, there's history between them but it's not REALLY played up and certainly not tangible in the ringwork. It almost can't be because they were going to be doing a double turn. It'd basically be the wrong thing to emphasize unless they were really clever about it and obviously, at the time, they weren't. The cage is mainly used so the guys can steady themselves on the ropes when doing moves to each other. 

I always hated the idea of the Western States belt. You're included in the US title. What more do you want? Why not a New England belt? The NY/NJ/CT Tri-State area? The Midwest title? The Florida gulf coast?  The Alaska/Hawaii title?

I figured it was a title to be defended in west coast promotions. Why it was on mid atlantic I dont know. Its one of my top 5 favorite belts though.

What was the biggest wrestling show/promotion in Alaska? Now I want to read the history of some one show NWA: Alaska.

WWE or DoD tours. the shows I did there drew around 600-700 in Anchorage.

Best Wrestling Observer Radio tidbit of the moment:

RVD showed up at RAW to see if they wanted him for WrestleMania and went home before the show started. From how they described it, I can only assume that it went down like this...

• Like 2

It was, in fact, the old NWA Western States Heritage Title.

according to wikipedia

It has long been reported that when Ric Flair took the NWA/WCW World Heavyweight Championship "Big Gold Belt" with him when he was fired and eventually went to the World Wrestling Federation, the NWA Western States Heritage Championship belt was used as the WCW World Heavyweight Championship belt for one night at the 1991 Great American Bash; a gold plate with the words "WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION" was tacked onto the Western States Title's faceplate. In truth, however, Zbyszko took the title with him to the American Wrestling Association and was even photographed with both the WSH and AWA title belts. The actual belt used at the Great American Bash is now believed to have been the heavyweight championship belt that was used by the Professional Wrestling Federation, Dusty Rhodes' short-lived post-Championship Wrestling from Florida promotion

larrybelts.jpg