DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm waiting for the day that guys just have a single letter or number be their name and we can get a WMLXII main event of J vs. 9.

Maybe I'm weird, I like the names of HHH and Stephanie's kids.  They're different without being too blatantly so.

They're other people's last names.

I'm waiting for the day that guys just have a single letter or number be their name and we can get a WMLXII main event of J vs. 9.

Maybe I'm weird, I like the names of HHH and Stephanie's kids.  They're different without being too blatantly so.

How many people do you know with the last name Aurora?

The past HHH/Orton feuds have sucked, and their only point seems to have been that no matter the alignment, HHH > Orton.

Only Triple H/Randy Orton match I ever liked was the Last Man Standing match at No Mercy 2007. The WrestleMania XXV main event match was especially bad.

How many people do you know with the last name Aurora?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagjit_Singh_Aurora

"Cesaro" reminds me less of Batista and Goldberg, and more of Lashley. Anyone else remember that 2-week stint where they tried to get that over?

The funny thing about the Orton/HHH pairing is that their LMS was legitimately one of WWE's top matches of the decade, but every other match (and there were quite a few) was mediocre to awful. In the spirit of the omnibus thread, are there any other pairings of wrestlers who have had one truly great match together, and nothing else crossing average (let's say minimum 5 matches)?

"Cesaro" reminds me less of Batista and Goldberg, and more of Lashley. Anyone else remember that 2-week stint where they tried to get that over?

The funny thing about the Orton/HHH pairing is that their LMS was legitimately one of WWE's top matches of the decade, but every other match (and there were quite a few) was mediocre to awful. In the spirit of the omnibus thread, are there any other pairings of wrestlers who have had one truly great match together, and nothing else crossing average (let's say minimum 5 matches)?

While not your exact criteria, HHH VS HBK netted two classics and a ton of shit.

• Like 1

I really liked Sheamus and Big Show's match at HIAC while the matches that followed wasn't anything special.

Here you go, the matches on WCW's Greatest PPV Matches Vol. 1:

DISC 1

The Evolution to Pay-Per-View

Steel Cage Match for NWA World Heavyweight Championship
Ronnie Garvin vs. Ric Flair
Starrcade • November 26, 1987

United States Championship Match
Barry Windham vs. Dusty Rhodes
Great American Bash • July 10, 1988

​Tag Team Championship Match
​The Road Warriors vs. Sting & Dusty Rhodes
Starrcade • December 26, 1988

Hall of Fame Rivalry

NWA World Heavyweight Championship Match
Ric Flair vs. Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat
Chi-Town Rumble • February 20, 1989

​United States Championship Match
​Lex Luger vs. Brian Pillman
Halloween Havoc • October 28, 1989

​NWA World Heavyweight Championship Match
​Ric Flair vs. Sting

Great American Bash • July 7, 1990

DISC 2

Everything to Gain

Steel Cage Match for WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Lex Luger vs. Barry Windham
Great American Bash • July 14, 1991

Light Heavyweight Championship Match
Jushin “Thunder” Liger vs. Brian Pillman
SuperBrawl II • February 29, 1992

​War Games
​Sting’s Squadron vs. The Dangerous Alliance
WrestleWar • May 17, 1992

Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal

Texas Death Match
Vader vs. Cactus Jack
Halloween Havoc • October 24, 1993

​​United States Championship Match
“Stunning” Steve Austin vs. Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat
Bash at the Beach • July 17, 1994

​Career vs. Career Steel Cage Match for WCW World Heavyweight Championship
​Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair
Special Referee: Mr. T
Halloween Havoc • October 23, 1994

DISC 3

The Hostile Takeover

The Outsiders vs. Sting, Lex Luger & “Macho Man” Randy Savage
Bash at the Beach • July 7, 1996

​​No Disqualification Match
Diamond Dallas Page vs. “Macho Man” Randy Savage
Spring Stampede • April 6, 1997

​​Mask vs. Cruiserweight Championship Match
Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio
Halloween Havoc • October 26, 1997

​Bret “Hitman” Hart vs. “Macho Man” Randy Savage
Special Guest Referee: “Rowdy” Roddy Piper
Slamboree • May 17, 1998

​Cruiserweight Championship Match
​Chris Jericho vs. Juventud Guerrera
Special Guest Referee: Dean Malenko
Road Wild • August 8, 1998

WCW ​World Heavyweight Championship Match
​Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page
Halloween Havoc • October 25, 1998

Opportunity Knocks

​​WCW World Heavyweight Championship Match
​​Jeff Jarrett vs. Booker T
Bash at the Beach • July 9, 2000

​Ladder Match for #1 Contender to Cruiserweight Championship
​3 Count vs. Jamie Knoble & Evan Karagias vs. The Jung Dragons
Starrcade • December 26, 2000

​Falls Count Anywhere Match for WCW World Heavyweight Championship
​Scott Steiner vs. Diamond Dallas Page
Greed • March 18, 2001

A Legendary Era

Credit: wrestlingdvdnews.com

I'm happy with the picks particularly Flair/Steamboat Chi-Town Rumble 1989 (it's the only PPV match from the 1989 feud I don't have on any other WWE DVD release), War Games 1992 (my pick for the best WCW of all time), Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio from Halloween Havoc 1997 and Goldberg vs. DDP from Halloween Havoc 1998 which I have as Goldberg's best bout, possibly DDP's as well.

Though the match sucked, for historical purposes I'd have added Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting from Starrcade 1997 to go with The Hostile Takeover bout from Bash at the Beach 1996 which did make the cut.

That three-way ladder match for the contract is already on a couple releases and isn't that good anyway. If they wanted to add a good cruiserweight bout from near the end of the company, they should have chosen a Chavo/Helms match instead. I think they wrestled twice, and I remember at least one being very good. 

Are there any sites that cross-reference what matches are already on other DVD sets? I've been optimistic about this set, but some of these matches are suspect to me ... plus, any Flair/Steamboat match that shows up at this stage of the DVD game makes me cringe.

Holy fuck, the Windham/Luger cage match is showing up on a second dvd release..

Still the most fucking bizarre and surreal scene to watch.

I've never seen this one. Explain yourself, mister.

The one where instead of Luger finally beating Flair, who had jumped ship to WWF at this time, fans get subjected to probably one of the top three worst shows of all time? Barry Windham, perenial midcarder is suddenly #1 contender? Luger randomly turns heel with Harley Race? Where the crowd chants WE WANT FLAIR the entire show? Yeah, that is odd it is on TWO sets now.

• Like 2

Holy fuck, the Windham/Luger cage match is showing up on a second dvd release..

Still the most fucking bizarre and surreal scene to watch.

I've never seen this one. Explain yourself, mister.

WCW fired Ric Flair the week before he was supposed to drop the tile to Luger.