DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

just read a Greenberg Iron Sheik BR piece and..

In the supermarket, The Sheik lectured shoppers on their eating habits, calling strangers obese and even taking food out of their carts.

At the health club, he’d refuse to let members sit in the sauna, forcing them to do calisthenics in the heat. “He’d make people throw up,” Tanya says. “One guy had to do calisthenics until he passed out.

“I watched his wedding ring roll off his finger.”

During a retreat to Buford Dam in northern Georgia, while the rest of the family picnicked on the shore, The Sheik immersed himself in the strong, freezing currents. Remembers Tanya, “People were walking by and going, ‘Who’s that nut taking a shower in the ice cold water?’ Then, they’d look a little closer and say, ‘Oh my God, it’s The Iron Sheik.’”

guess they could have had the Iron Sheik working a Bodydonnas gimmick in the mid-90s

----

and.. after I searched the WWE YouTube for Bad News Brown a few days ago, they post this today

BTW, I found this video when I searched a few days ago, watch as Vince talks about Harlem:

• Like 3

St. Louis indy shows have been drawing like gangbusters lately.  The last SICW show in East Carondelet drew over 300 to a small venue.  MMWA at South Broadway had a packed house in January and they had to turn people away last night with an announced attendance of 625.  Really fun time to be a fan of independent wrestling around here.

I live in Perryville, MO, and as soon as I get transportation I'll be frequently attending MMWA/SICW shows, and I might even give St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, Ill a look see.

St. Louis indy shows have been drawing like gangbusters lately.  The last SICW show in East Carondelet drew over 300 to a small venue.  MMWA at South Broadway had a packed house in January and they had to turn people away last night with an announced attendance of 625.  Really fun time to be a fan of independent wrestling around here.

I live in Perryville, MO, and as soon as I get transportation I'll be frequently attending MMWA/SICW shows, and I might even give St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, Ill a look see.

Really good indy scene around here.  Four groups run in this area with solid products:  Anarchy, SICW, MMWA, and Dynamo Pro.

I don't want to get into a whole debate about HHHs drawing ability but the difference between HHH and everyone else mentioned (Cena, Austin, Hogan, Rock...even Punk) is there is at least the perception that these performers were draws, massively over and earned/deserved their spots. Therefore there was a logical business reason why they were on top and heavily protected.

There's a perception ( which I admit I agree with) that HHH is a product of being booked strong for almost twenty years straight. And given how he's currently been booked for the last 6 months as the top heel on the roster I'm still waiting to hear the crowd treat him like one.

• Like 1

I don't want to get into a whole debate about HHHs drawing ability but the difference between HHH and everyone else mentioned (Cena, Austin, Hogan, Rock...even Punk) is there is at least the perception that these performers were draws, massively over and earned/deserved their spots. Therefore there was a logical business reason why they were on top and heavily protected.

There's a perception ( which I admit I agree with) that HHH is a product of being booked strong for almost twenty years straight. And given how he's currently been booked for the last 6 months as the top heel on the roster I'm still waiting to hear the crowd treat him like one.

20 years?

20 years?

He was originally supposed to win the '96 KOTR.

Literally just a guts outward FU so the widow maker is the one

Piece of trivia no one will give a fuck about: I used the Widowmaker as my finish.

Even I didn't know that one...

That's because in Missouri I was doing tag matches 90% of the time, where we used our tag finish. The Widowmaker I mostly used down in Arkansas.

Right, but he didn't and it isn't 2016. He wasn't pushed strong consistently until a few years after 96. I get what you mean but it hasn't been that long.

He won the IC Title in 1996, won KOTR and formed DX with Shawn in 97, nice face run and another IC Title in 98, main-event push in 99. That's a pretty consistent strong push.

• Like 1

Really good indy scene around here.  Four groups run in this area with solid products:  Anarchy, SICW, MMWA, and Dynamo Pro.

I'll have to check out Dynamo Pro as well. Hey man, you going to the ROH shows in Carbondale and Collinsville?

I'll have to check out Dynamo Pro as well. Hey man, you going to the ROH shows in Carbondale and Collinsville?

Probably Collinsville.  My days of driving as far as Cape Girardeau, Herrin, or Mt. Vernon are probably done.  :)

Awkward claim to fame - I used to have hot steamy 15 year old cyber sessions with Emma over ICQ back in the day. As a result of this, she used to rig the raffle for me in her role as barrel girl at the local indy fed that used to operate near Melbourne Airport. The steamy willingness to roleplay as Bubba Ray Dudley won me a Bash n Brawler and a Ric Flair DVD over a magical month in late 2005.

Wondering whether its worth finding my old computer at my parents house and finding those chat transcripts between us.

....eh, at least I didn't name drop her real name like that Roman Reigns guy.

Oh it is motherfucking worth it. 

• Like 1