DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So, all this talk of Jarrett's new promotion trying to get TNA's deal on Spike in the autumn (effectively ending TNA) makes me realize that Jeff is now Vince McMahon circa 2002.

"I'm gonna kill what I created! *cackles madly into the mirror*

So, all this talk of Jarrett's new promotion trying to get TNA's deal on Spike in the autumn (effectively ending TNA) makes me realize that Jeff is now Vince McMahon circa 2002.

"I'm gonna kill what I created! *cackles madly into the mirror*

*Jeff Jarrett twirls his chair around, revealing a "Main Event Mafia" logo*

That guy in that video is how I imagine most people picture pro-wrestling fans. Morbidly obese, toothless, ugly pasty dudes wearing wolf shirts & talking with speech impediments. :lol:

I'm still trying to understand the anatomy of how his stomach moves up and down like that.  Like, it keeps folding the wolf in half.  But it shouldn't move up like that right?  It should sag, maybe...maybe move right to left.  But it seems to be reacting like the pink slime in GHOSTBUSTERS 2.

There's this extra muscle that keeps engaging to flip it upward like that.  I keep trying to do it myself and I can't. 

• Like 1

Ask about FMW in the puro forum.  Bahu will hook you up.

In general, I enjoyed mid-90's FMW quite a bit.  Before the mid-90's, it tends to be all Onita, All the Time working the deatmatches against guys like Mr. Pogo.  Not much workrate there.  In the mid-90's, it starts to open up a bit and you get things like the Funk Masters of Wrestling (heel group led by Terry Funk).  Then the focus starts to shift to Hayabusa more, you get things like the awesome (and seemingly never-ending) Hayabusa-Gannosuke feud, Masata Tanaka rises up the card, etc.

Late 90's, you hit the Onita heel turn (complete with Bret Hart tribute tights), The rise of Gannosuke as a top heel, and finally Team No Respect.  No Respect might be my favorite heel faction not the 80's Four Horsemen,

After Team No Respect, the promotion turned fully towards sports entertainment and gleefully rocketed itself into oblivion, so the last few years are fairly skippable.

Awesome. I just checked and I think there might even be a thread for it aready. Thanks a lot

Awkward claim to fame - I used to have hot steamy 15 year old cyber sessions with Emma over ICQ back in the day. As a result of this, she used to rig the raffle for me in her role as barrel girl at the local indy fed that used to operate near Melbourne Airport. The steamy willingness to roleplay as Bubba Ray Dudley won me a Bash n Brawler and a Ric Flair DVD over a magical month in late 2005.

Wondering whether its worth finding my old computer at my parents house and finding those chat transcripts between us.

....eh, at least I didn't name drop her real name like that Roman Reigns guy.

• Like 7

To be fair Benoit and Batista’s wins over Triple H were greatly enhanced and came off as much bigger deals precisely because of all those perceived burials (Jericho, Booker T, RVD, "fuck you and your bogus title too, rookie bitch Brock, I’m pulling Big Gold out of my ass and declaring myself real champ." ) and constant dickish feud-deciding blowoff match wins (Austin, Angle, Kane) that had bolstered him during that five-year stretch. Unless I’m misremembering everybody was also sure he was going over Cena at WM XXII….also precisely because all those big matches and feuds he went over in previously up to that point.

So when you look at it that way it made it a much bigger deal when guys did decisively go over Triple H and in some strange way justified that he hadn’t dropped the belt to Booker T or RVD and shit on Goldberg and his profitability with his lame sledgehammer shot at Summerslam that one time.

Of course, by now semi-retired Triple H going over the likes of Punk and Brock is just flatout ego-stroking rubbish on his part. It’s TNA Champ Jeff Jarrett type dread heat where no one wants to see the knob go over and it serves absolutely no purpose other than to remind you what a bona fide hot shit big shot the Game always has been and always will be.

That's the best argument for the booking that there is; I'm not going to pretend that HHH tapping out at WM to Benoit wasn't a huge deal. I think you'll find that a lot of ground was lost in that year and a half though, in terms of ratings/buyrates etc.

As people have noted, the whole 'they were bringing in Goldberg' thing was nonsense as he was not put in title feuds right away - there was plenty of time to give Booker a run and cycle the title back on to HHH if really necessary. The real answer is that 'they' were bringing back Kevin Nash, and wanted to have him feud with HHH over the title. Bad Blood 2003 was a decent buyrate for the time (though it had a strong undercard, and Foley as guest ref for the main), but I would question whether the feud needed the title. And one good buyrate doesn't justify a very conservative and complacent booking strategy, and certainly doesn't justify using a race angle when you're not very sure you're putting the black guy over.

I think you're reaching in defense of someone when one of your arguments is "it's okay when Cena does".

You skipped over 5 pages and plucked out a single line and then didn't do much with it. I'm not sure you're built for this. Come back to me when you want to counter one of my arguments and have a serious conversation about them.

I didn't skip anything. I read every post in the silly discussion, and plucked the most laughable defense. Was not one of your arguments "it's okay when Cena does it"? as I claimed? My counter to that is "on what planet's internet does Cena get a pass for anything?" So....

"silly discussion" ...  "laughable defense"....   You are terrible at this. Yes, I used Cena as an example of someone who has received a pass for laughing off his losses. I am fully aware that Cena has received his fair share of criticism over the years but this is the only wrestling board I am currently reading and this also happens to be a place where Cena is very popular. Which is great.. I am not a huge Cena fan but I do enjoy a lot of his work. With that said, I don't recall anyone on here getting on him for showing up his opponents after he's been defeated.

This was only a small part of the argument. When Triple H attacks the tag champions... people hate it. When The Rock defeats the Dudleys, that's fine. When CM Punk defeats The Shield 3 on 1, that's fine...

There are levels to this shit. I'm not attempting to make Triple H appear to be something he isn't..  I'm pointing out inconsistencies in posting.

Terrible at what? I don't know what it is you think I'm trying to do. You're arguments in defense of Triple H seem to me to be a collection of straw men, willful ignorance (I assume) of the facts, and comparisons that only really work at face-value. That's just my opinion, and means little, but I felt like airing it anyway. At least in that last post you admit that your Cena example only works when you ignore what goes on on other boards, and even then, I'm pretty sure we could find posts on here criticizing Cena for shrugging off defeats as if they don't matter. I'm pretty sure we can find posts from you doing just that, so let me turn it around and ask you this, why is it okay when Hunter does it, but not Cena?

I don't really want to go through all your posts on the subject, as that would be tedious for all involved, but at least tell me you see the difference between a babyface "overcoming the odds" and winning a handicap match against a group of heels, and a babyface beating up two other babyfaces who just came out to help him, just because. The former is problematic and not something I'm generally a fan of, the latter is just stupid and achieves nothing but making the perpetrator look like an insecure prick.

I won't clog this thread up anymore with this stuff, because it's probably tedious for everyone else, but if you start a thread I'd be happy to contribute to the terribleness.

Awkward claim to fame - I used to have hot steamy 15 year old cyber sessions with Emma over ICQ back in the day. 

Now we're really starting to get into the mindset of the type of person who wants to be fake dropped on their head and back for a living.

So my tax return is coming up and I wanna buy some motherfucking wrestling DVD's! I know there used to be a guy here on the OG DVDVR boards that sold yearly comps (Goodhelmet or something?) and I bought 2008, 09 and 2010 from him. (By the way, if the guy I'm referring to is reading this thread, your comps made for some good shit to watch while I hit the weed! :D ) So anyone know where I can get a bunch of MOTYC's on DVD from like 2012 and 2013?

• Like 1

Awkward claim to fame - I used to have hot steamy 15 year old cyber sessions with Emma over ICQ back in the day. As a result of this, she used to rig the raffle for me in her role as barrel girl at the local indy fed that used to operate near Melbourne Airport. The steamy willingness to roleplay as Bubba Ray Dudley won me a Bash n Brawler and a Ric Flair DVD over a magical month in late 2005.

Wondering whether its worth finding my old computer at my parents house and finding those chat transcripts between us.

....eh, at least I didn't name drop her real name like that Roman Reigns guy.

Look, buddy, lab partner is one thing.

• Like 1

So my tax return is coming up and I wanna buy some motherfucking wrestling DVD's! I know there used to be a guy here on the OG DVDVR boards that sold yearly comps (Goodhelmet or something?) and I bought 2008, 09 and 2010 from him. (By the way, if the guy I'm referring to is reading this thread, your comps made for some good shit to watch while I hit the weed! :D ) So anyone know where I can get a bunch of MOTYC's on DVD from like 2012 and 2013?

Goodhelmet is over at PWO (http://prowrestlingonly.com/) so I'd PM him there to see if he made a 2012 set. I recommend his yearbooks which are more expensive but packed to the gills with awesome stuff and capture the feeling of each year perfectly. 1997 is the latest one and that gets you every important match, angle or segment from the promotions in the world at that time, it's a great idea.

St. Louis indy shows have been drawing like gangbusters lately.  The last SICW show in East Carondelet drew over 300 to a small venue.  MMWA at South Broadway had a packed house in January and they had to turn people away last night with an announced attendance of 625.  Really fun time to be a fan of independent wrestling around here.

St. Louis indy shows have been drawing like gangbusters lately. The last SICW show in East Carondelet drew over 300 to a small venue. MMWA at South Broadway had a packed house in January and they had to turn people away last night with an announced attendance of 625. Really fun time to be a fan of independent wrestling around here.

Just four hours away from STL in DeKalb, IL, TNA just drew 200-300 fans to a house show. Sad.

Terrible at what? I don't know what it is you think I'm trying to do. You're arguments in defense of Triple H seem to me to be a collection of straw men, willful ignorance (I assume) of the facts, and comparisons that only really work at face-value. That's just my opinion, and means little, but I felt like airing it anyway. At least in that last post you admit that your Cena example only works when you ignore what goes on on other boards, and even then, I'm pretty sure we could find posts on here criticizing Cena for shrugging off defeats as if they don't matter. I'm pretty sure we can find posts from you doing just that, so let me turn it around and ask you this, why is it okay when Hunter does it, but not Cena?

I never said it was okay..  I've been fair. I criticize Triple H for a lot of things. However, I don't act like he's the only one who ever tried to protect his spot. Triple H has probably at times done things to protect his spot in the company or to save face, etc...  but this is wrestling and it happens ALL THE TIME in every promotion.. ever. Hogan, Austin, etc.. They are all guilty of it. I want people to be consistent. When Triple H does something you disagree with fine..  I have no problem with you criticizing him but you should also be criticizing others when they do the same thing. Cena could sell losses if he wanted to but he doesn't. I don't want to hear anything about creative. He is John Cena. He can do whatever he wants.

The other part of the argument are these supposed burials and I've addressed most of them. Some may have been burials, some weren't.. If you want to go back through and address a specific case be my guest.