DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Horace is one those guys that I just assumed was dead.

And I also think they learned the lesson from the Summer of Punk with The YES! Movement stuff. It's a different structure because, in a way, the Summer of Punk angle BEGAN with the payoff (him beating Cena in Chicago). But the Bryan angle is a traditional chase -- underdog babyface keeps getting screwed out of chances to win the title, but continues to gain popularity as he continues the chase.

The problem with Bryan's thing is that there's no clear chase. 

Also, it's absolutely hilarious that anyone would defend early '00s HHH.  He was so awful on every level, and it's why his current gimmick works so well. 

I think you're reaching in defense of someone when one of your arguments is "it's okay when Cena does". On what planet's internet has Cena ever got a free pass for anything?

My favourite thing about the Hunter/Cena feud was the rumblings at the time that Hunter was denigrating Jericho and Edge's abilities as heels because they couldn't get the fans to cheer Cena over them. You really showed them how it was done there, Trips.

- There are some new match possibilities for the upcoming WrestleMania 30 card. As previously reported, if WWE inserts Bryan into the title match, that would make a triple threat match between The Shield unlikely, since WWE does not want to have two triple threat matches on the same card. Another new possibility is a match between Triple H and Roman Reigns for the event. WWE is said to be very high right now on Reigns, and the storyline of The Authority using The Shield as henchmen for the past year would be a launching point for a match between Triple H and Reigns.

- PWInsider has a report on the reasons why WWE is opting not to talk about the recent departure of CM Punk. Vince McMahon personally likes Punk and wants to try and work things out with him since he's one of his top selling Superstars. Also, WWE has invested a lot of money into Punk with marketing ads and merchandise in stores, so they want to protect his name until his contract runs out in July. If the two sides cannot come to a new agreement, WWE will not mention Punk until his contract officially expires.

- WWE is reportedly discussing what they will air on the WWE Network while Raw and Smackdown are on TV. They are said to be discussing potential segments similar to what is seen on the WWE App for the network. There are also ideas floating around like guest panelists during Raw. The panelists would include former WWE and Hall of Fame Superstars.

PWInsider's Mike Johnson claims the following, so it's probably true.

SPOILER ON MAJOR WWE STAR SET TO RETURN
By Mike Johnson on 2014-02-08 11:49:51
PWInsider.com has confirmed that The Undertaker is set to return to WWE TV at the 2/24 Raw taping in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The return was locked in within the last 48 hours.

That is the day after The Elimination Chamber and will be the Raw that leads directly into the launch of the WWE Network's live programming. The appearance will kick off Undertaker's storyline for Wrestlemania 30.

Undertaker has not been seen on WWE TV since the 4/23 Smackdown taping, where he was nailed with a Triple powerbomb through a table by The Shield.

PWInsider.com has confirmed that The Undertaker is set to return to WWE TV at the 2/24 Raw taping in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The return was locked in within the last 48 hours.

That is the day after The Elimination Chamber and will be the Raw that leads directly into the launch of the WWE Network's live programming. The appearance will kick off Undertaker's storyline for Wrestlemania 30.

Undertaker has not been seen on WWE TV since the 4/23 Smackdown taping, where he was nailed with a Triple powerbomb through a table by The Shield.

I wonder if I should go to that show.

Back in the days of kayabe, how did wrestlers go about training new wrestlers? I'm sure it was standard to do a lot of stretching of new trainees at the start, to weed people out and to maintain the illusion. At what point would they pull back the curtain?

I think you're reaching in defense of someone when one of your arguments is "it's okay when Cena does".

You skipped over 5 pages and plucked out a single line and then didn't do much with it. I'm not sure you're built for this. Come back to me when you want to counter one of my arguments and have a serious conversation about them.

For all of Punk's talent, he does seem like a very whiny, difficult person to be around. I'm not at all surprised many people in WWE are glad to see the back of him, or coming out of the woodwork to trash him. The man does have this hilarious ability to make everyone he meets into a supporting character in the Saga of People Who Fucked Over Phil Brooks.

The Rock...stealing all his main event glory, practically spitting in his face!

The Miz....stealing the main event spot at WrestleMania 27, practically spitting in his face!

People in management getting pissed at his girlfriend for being rude to a visiting celebrity, practically spitting in his face!

Vince putting him against Triple H at WrestleMania XXX, practically spitting in his face!

Not since Livia Soprano has anyone wandered around with such a sense of undeserved martyrdom.

I've got it! It was Damien Sandow --- "He stole my 'I'm a martyr' gimmick." 

I think you're reaching in defense of someone when one of your arguments is "it's okay when Cena does".

You skipped over 5 pages and plucked out a single line and then didn't do much with it. I'm not sure you're built for this. Come back to me when you want to counter one of my arguments and have a serious conversation about them.

I didn't skip anything. I read every post in the silly discussion, and plucked the most laughable defense. Was not one of your arguments "it's okay when Cena does it"? as I claimed? My counter to that is "on what planet's internet does Cena get a pass for anything?" So....

I didn't skip anything. I read every post in the silly discussion, and plucked the most laughable defense. Was not one of your arguments "it's okay when Cena does it"? as I claimed? My counter to that is "on what planet's internet does Cena get a pass for anything?" So....

"silly discussion" ...  "laughable defense"....   You are terrible at this. Yes, I used Cena as an example of someone who has received a pass for laughing off his losses. I am fully aware that Cena has received his fair share of criticism over the years but this is the only wrestling board I am currently reading and this also happens to be a place where Cena is very popular. Which is great.. I am not a huge Cena fan but I do enjoy a lot of his work. With that said, I don't recall anyone on here getting on him for showing up his opponents after he's been defeated.

This was only a small part of the argument. When Triple H attacks the tag champions... people hate it. When The Rock defeats the Dudleys, that's fine. When CM Punk defeats The Shield 3 on 1, that's fine...

There are levels to this shit. I'm not attempting to make Triple H appear to be something he isn't..  I'm pointing out inconsistencies in posting.

What are the odds that at some point in 2014 we'll see Youtube video of some wrestling nerd proposing to the girl of his dreams (who shares his interest) and her accepting Daniel Bryan-style?

Actually, if a video of a gay couple doing that went viral, would WWE find a way to exploit it or would they ignore it?

Brett Favre v. the Undertaker at Wrestlemania

To be fair Benoit and Batista’s wins over Triple H were greatly enhanced and came off as much bigger deals precisely because of all those perceived burials (Jericho, Booker T, RVD, "fuck you and your bogus title too, rookie bitch Brock, I’m pulling Big Gold out of my ass and declaring myself real champ." ) and constant dickish feud-deciding blowoff match wins (Austin, Angle, Kane) that had bolstered him during that five-year stretch. Unless I’m misremembering everybody was also sure he was going over Cena at WM XXII….also precisely because all those big matches and feuds he went over in previously up to that point.

So when you look at it that way it made it a much bigger deal when guys did decisively go over Triple H and in some strange way justified that he hadn’t dropped the belt to Booker T or RVD and shit on Goldberg and his profitability with his lame sledgehammer shot at Summerslam that one time.

Of course, by now semi-retired Triple H going over the likes of Punk and Brock is just flatout ego-stroking rubbish on his part. It’s TNA Champ Jeff Jarrett type dread heat where no one wants to see the knob go over and it serves absolutely no purpose other than to remind you what a bona fide hot shit big shot the Game always has been and always will be.

• Like 2

"silly discussion" ...  "laughable defense"....   You are terrible at this. Yes, I used Cena as an example of someone who has received a pass for laughing off his losses. I am fully aware that Cena has received his fair share of criticism over the years but this is the only wrestling board I am currently reading and this also happens to be a place where Cena is very popular. Which is great.. I am not a huge Cena fan but I do enjoy a lot of his work. With that said, I don't recall anyone on here getting on him for showing up his opponents after he's been defeated.

This was only a small part of the argument. When Triple H attacks the tag champions... people hate it. When The Rock defeats the Dudleys, that's fine. When CM Punk defeats The Shield 3 on 1, that's fine...

There are levels to this shit. I'm not attempting to make Triple H appear to be something he isn't..  I'm pointing out inconsistencies in posting.

That it happens so often with different wrestlers points to the bad writing more than it points to Triple H.