DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I wouldn't even need specifics. Just have a guy say 'I want to win this tournament for a shot at Langston's IC belt because that's when the money starts rolling in.' I'm perfectly content with that, and would prefer it over 'i pretend wrestle really hard for these fans and would like to pretend wrestle hard for more important pretend things.'

Wins and losses do matter in the WWE. The entire story of the year has been Daniel Bryan proving himself as not the wink link by winning into him not winning the belt because the game is rigged.

Cody and Dustin had one of the best stories in ages and it was predicated first on them losing matches and then winning matches.

Sandow's whole persona is because he can't win.

Everyone got pissy because the "wrong" guy won the Rumble.

They made The Shield into world beaters because they win. And they've made Reigns an impending superstar because he has gotten more pin falls/eliminations than anyone.

They can do more with the secondary singles titles but that's really not that huge a deal.

The only feud they had where wins haven't mattered was Punk vs. Heyman. That was about how Punk's obsession kept on making him lose matches and not get a shot at the man who betrayed him. If he kept focused on winning and by Heyman, he would have gotten their earlier. So wins there even mattered.

"Wins don't matter" is a pretty tired trope. I mean, they could do a better job with the secondary belts. That's about it.

I respectfully disagree with some of your points. Most of the angles/events you mention got over because the outcome mattered and affected the future of the participants aa well as the emotional investment of the viewer. It's up to the WWE to provide reasoning why all match outcomes matter which if filtered through everyone's gimmicks/angles/stipulations. Yes. wins & losses do matter but WHY? It could be money, honor, title defense/opportunity and so on. 

I think that a straight-faced subtle (two things WWE is bad at) introduction of the money factor would be a huge improvement. Having Jim Ross around would make this so much easier. Don't hammer on it all the time but if it is done well the audience would accept it as it would ease their suspension of disbelief. Applying selective logic to allow us to emotional invest in matches and wrestlers and maintaining a consistent frame of reference to hang all these stories on would be nice. 

Obviously they never talk about win/loss records except for unbeaten or losing streak gimmicks. W/L stats are counterproductive, particularly win parity booking (slowly, I turned...) - save that for PWI.

Since they are the only game in town, they have to be less finicky about moving people from the main event to mid-card to a nice paid vacation, and back again. And for Pete's sake, bring back some jobbers. I know they are a major corporation now, but some thing that used to work will still work.

and that's how I see it,

RAF

• Like 1

Let's face it, a lot of guys in the WWE are set up for failure. You want to get a guy over? Telling people that he's doing it for the money sure as hell won't help unless your name is Kevin Nash.

Frozen Steaks on a pole match!

plus giftcard matches would essentially be sponsor plug spots too.

If they had giftcards in Memphis in 1989, they would have just paid guys in giftcards instead of money

Let's face it, a lot of guys in the WWE are set up for failure. You want to get a guy over? Telling people that he's doing it for the money sure as hell won't help unless your name is Kevin Nash.

Unless they claim they're trying to buy their mom a house?

• Like 1

Frozen Steaks on a pole match!

plus giftcard matches would essentially be sponsor plug spots too.

If they had giftcards in Memphis in 1989, they would have just paid guys in giftcards instead of money

Unless they claim they're trying to buy their mom a house?

Then is sounds more like a gameshow.

• Like 1

would it get over if they announced monetary bonuses pre-match for the winner of the next match? or would they have problems establishing a believable total of prize money to a match?

I remember back in the day, Gorilla and Jesse went on about "the winner's/loser's share of the purse" all the time.

So... anyone else watch National Pro Wrestling Day, or was it just me... cause yeah, some stuff happened. Not sure if I should post in spoilers.

Spoilers.... I was but went out for a walk instead of sitting on my tuckus!

Find it on youtube, and load up to the 1 hour, 57 minute mark. The next 10 minutes, if you are a longtime fan of CHIKARA fan, is like crack.

• Like 1

So... anyone else watch National Pro Wrestling Day, or was it just me... cause yeah, some stuff happened. Not sure if I should post in spoilers.

Spoilers.... I was but went out for a walk instead of sitting on my tuckus!

Find it on youtube, and load up to the 1 hour, 57 minute mark. The next 10 minutes, if you are a longtime fan of CHIKARA fan, is like crack.

3 minutes in.... This is amazing!

Sadly, i was on the wrong side of the ring for most of the schmozz. I was next to the curtain where the heels came out, but couldnt see what was happening at the main entrance with the babyfaces.

Since i dont watch Chikara anymore, i didnt know who a lot of the new guys where (guys in the trios match, steampunk guy, ...)

It was cool getting to talk some of the older guys like Mantis* and LFC .

Also cool Mike Burns from SMW got an indy pro wrestling award. I joked i wanted to start an FWA chant but no one wouldnhave gotten it. :)

* Mantis is writing an article for new magazine.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haU-BfRKnLc&feature=share

Here's the event if you wanna see it for yourself.

For those who just wanna know what happened:

Chikara relaunces on May 25th.

Jimmy Jacobs is apparently the one who got all the heels (BDK, Sinn Bodhi, Dr. Cube, GEKIDO etc.) together. After they ran in on the last match, The Submission Squad challenged them and got beat down. Following that, 8 Chikara guys (Icarus, Ants, Hallowicked, Dasher) enter. The heels try and get AssailANT to rejoin them and he refuses. Jimmy unmasks and mocks Icarus for having such a small group to fight his "army". Icarus talks back and Dr. Cube's minions unmask to turn out to be Mantis, Ophidian, Mr. Touchdown, The Batiri, and Los Ice Creams and attack the heels. In the midst of this shmozz, a DeLorean pulls up to the door with Archibald Peck and 3.0 inside to join the fights. Then the heels powder out.

• Like 1

You can't have ridiculous over the top prize money tournaments up against a trend where guys are leaving the business to make money in any other forum - MMA, movies, music, yoga studios.

Why would they be leaving if the pay windah was open for a $7 million dollar pay day for winning a new Pat O'Connor Memorial tournament?

• Like 1

would it get over if they announced monetary bonuses pre-match for the winner of the next match? or would they have problems establishing a believable total of prize money to a match?

I dunno, I can't put my finger on why but I think bringing back the "there's money on the line" idea for matches in WWE would seem hokey, and partially for this reason.

I mean, it meant more in years past when the old timers looked like people who could use a boost from that money.  But we're in a world where it's common knowledge that The Rock has a multi-million dollar Hollywood career. Where it doesn't take a long stretch of thought for the huge majority of the fans to assume that if you're working for WWE, you're probably doing pretty good financially. (Even though some lesser used lower card guys might have a different story.) 

WWE is literally a worldwide business, publicly traded, with pay per views and several hours of national TV and overseas tours and celebrities involved and in the crowd and a mass merchandised powerhouse, yada yada.  It would be hard to get behind the idea that two guys on Raw are desperate to win that $5000 to pay a mortgage.  And if you inflate it to huge amounts, it would just seem ridiculous that way as well.

And you know what, I'm sure a lot of those guys COULD use that extra money....but when you've made your company look larger than life, the fans might not buy it. 

In fact I'd say not mentioning the money aspect would be better, to suspend the disbelief and let people concentrate on the characters as guys who want to win championships and prove how good they are, or that they have personal grudges.....rather then let me ever think about how the backwoods swamp cult probably all make a comfortable living.  I mean, I may know Peyton Manning has a ton of money, but I know he wants to win the Super Bowl for the prestige of it. If someone said he wanted it for the extra payday, I'd laugh. (Yes, I know, it's not the exact same thing.......)

Edit: RolandTHTG beat me to it with the same idea. And much less long winded than me as well.

• Like 1

I like how The Outlaws saw Brock coming on Raw and decided "let's just fucking run for it." I think that WWE should do a backstage segment of Brock arriving at the building and midcarders running for their lives as he walks in the door. Zach Ryder can make a cameo as the dude who trips and gets eaten.

• Like 3