DVDVR Message Board

February 2014 Football thread

The Natural

Because Bundesliga is the definition of a 2 team league, and even then, thats questionable the past two years.

Nonsense. Schalke is one of the 20 biggest clubs in the world. Though they're closer to the Arsenal end of that scale than the Manchester City/Barcelona end.

I'd say the harshest thing you could say about the Bundesliga is that it has a big four in Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen, and Schalke, but if simply one of those four being really good makes it a one team league I'd shudder to think what people thought of the Premiership the year Arsenal went undefeated. Or a couple years ago when Manchester United won the title by 7000 points even though they played with the handicap of having Michael Carrick on the team.

• Like 1

I did indeed enjoy the game & result yesterday between Schalke & Real Madrid! I think Bale, Benzema and Ronaldo worked really well and I'm excited to see what happens. I can't imagine, outside of crazy red cards which is not out of the realm of possibility, that Schalke will overcome the 6-1 aggregate, so I think Los Blancos are safe for the Quarter-Finals. No idea if they will advance beyond that, we'll have to see what the draw comes up with. I suspect Bayern Munich will have the most to say about who will win the Champions League this season. If Bayern make the finals, I think we're getting our first back to back repeat since AC Milan (1989, 1990). But we'll see, like with all sports anything can happen.  Now about those Europa League games today? I only saw Napoli vs Swansea and Tottenham vs Dnipro and clips of other matches but looks like there were a lot of exciting games today. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this past weekend both Barcelona and Atletico had surprising losses that allowed Real to take top spot in La Liga. We'll see how long that lasts but it's exciting to be into the Copa del Rey final, top of La Liga and seemingly one foot into the quarter-finals of the Champions League. I wasn't sure how things would go with losing Ozil this season but it seems to be working out! 

So, two stories being tossed around.  One has Moyes fine, they're gonna give him time unless he completly loses the team (which he's starting to) or the fans (which he's starting to).

The other has started his death clock at the end of season, dependant on table position.  United misses Europe, it fucks their budget and he's gone.

I'm trying to figure out how I feel about this, since while I liked to joke, it is entirely possible that his position is really unstable now.

So, two stories being tossed around.  One has Moyes fine, they're gonna give him time unless he completly loses the team (which he's starting to) or the fans (which he's starting to).

The other has started his death clock at the end of season, dependant on table position.  United misses Europe, it fucks their budget and he's gone.

I'm trying to figure out how I feel about this, since while I liked to joke, it is entirely possible that his position is really unstable now.

What's the Europa League going to do financially for them? It's a pittance compared to the Champions League. No way do United leap over both Spuds and Liverpool with an 11 point gap.

What's the Europa League going to do financially for them? It's a pittance compared to the Champions League. No way do United leap over both Spuds and Liverpool with an 11 point gap.

Home attendances will still put millions in their coffers.

IMO Moyes signed a six year deal and he's a good man and a good manager. it's only right to give him the remaining 5.

• Like 2

United misses Europe, it fucks their budget and he's gone.

I don't think it does. The last couple years have seen huge growth in sponsorship revenue from Chevrolet and DHL, and if the numbers bandied about from Nike for the new kit deal are true, that pretty much puts them ahead even without Europe.