DVDVR Message Board

February 2014 Football thread

The Natural

After the game, Wenger said the Bayern players made the most of contact all game and they are not used to seeing that in England. Nope I've never seen players exaggerate contact in England or dare I say dive. Old man Arsene has lost it.

Jack Wilshere alone makes that a hilarious Wenger is an idiot moment.

• Like 1

That save by Neur on the Ozil penalty was awesome.

Not even. That may have been the worst penalty ever. Neuer didn't bite on the slow run up, committed and then stopped mid dive, tied his shoes, reached up and gently batted the shot away.

When it comes to bad penalties, I remember this one:

Cardiff City vs. Leicester City in the 2010 Championship Semi-Final second leg. I remember the Leicester players consolling the other Leicester player who missed a penality but nobody went to Kermorgant.

After the game, Wenger said the Bayern players made the most of contact all game and they are not used to seeing that in England. Nope I've never seen players exaggerate contact in England or dare I say dive. Old man Arsene has lost it.

Jack Wilshere alone makes that a hilarious Wenger is an idiot moment.

Wilshere doesn't dive so much as that he has shit upper body strength, and has to resort to bitching to the referees after he hits the turf from a challenge that he'd be able to withstand if he'd hit the gym at an acceptable rate.  I get that he had to take it easy on his feet for a long time with the stress fractures and ankle issues, but there was no excuse for him not being able to get some free weight exercises in during that spell.

Wenger blaming Robben & Co. is just out of frustration with Özil's confidence fading along with his fitness in his first season without a winter break.  I'm hoping he isn't going to pull an Arshavin and wilt altogether.  Think it's time to put him aside for the next spell of (relatively) weaker opposition in the league and start Rosicky or the Ox in his stead, maybe bring Gnabry back into the side on the right.

That save by Neur on the Ozil penalty was awesome.

Not even. That may have been the worst penalty ever. Neuer didn't bite on the slow run up, committed and then stopped mid dive, tied his shoes, reached up and gently batted the shot away.

When it comes to bad penalties, I remember this one:

Cardiff City vs. Leicester City in the 2010 Championship Semi-Final second leg. I remember the Leicester players consolling the other Leicester player who missed a penality but nobody went to Kermorgant.

Always remember that for the Cardiff keeper going the wrong way yet still having the time to reach out and boop it away.

• Like 2

After a lifetime of watching football, and seeing the debate about penalties/red cards/suspensions on the Guardian today, I have to ask... why do penalties exist?

Surely removing the awarding of a penalty for a foul in the box and replacing it with a free kick would result in a decline in players throwing themselves to ground? A player in that situation would surely want to try to score rather than falling to ground and getting a free kick where 11 men are practically standing on the goal line. Much harder to get it up and over from 15 yards out, no?

I can maybe see an increase in fouls, but those should still result in a red card if the foul is bad enough.

I guess I just don't see why a foul just inside the corner of the box should result in a free shot on goal.

If this idea is terrible, someone please tell me as I imagine there must be some reason it's never been considered.

Yes, indirect free kicks can be called inside the box from something that's not a "penalty foul".  So, Backpasses that keepers touch with their hands, or infringing technical requirements of the laws.

So yeah, who the fuck really knows.

So, Chivas USA was bought out by MLS today (rumored for only $25 million when they turned down an offer of $70 million last year).

So a not-so-fond farewell to probably the most controversial MLS owner (the HBO story on how they were weeding out non-spanish speakers had to hurt)

I'd love to see obstruction called on all those players who shield the ball on it's way out of play. Or bring back the shoulder barge in that situation only.

Oh, and Everton have a new first team coach starting on Monday. This guy -

tumblr_mjb011IynQ1s5eouto1_400.gif

Which got me thinking, is Dunc the only guy jailed for something that happened in a game? Surely there must be someone else.

Re: Chivas USA: why didn't the league just give the team to Beckham and his group for that and let him move them to Miami? Would've given Becks a non-expansion team and wouldn't have cost the league anything. You could say they will sell Chivas, but I can't see them selling them for less than the expansion fee a new team would get.