DVDVR Message Board

Dream Tag-Teams

cwoy2j

I was cleaning out some boxes yesterday and ran across some old Apter mags I had. One of them was an edition of Wrestling Superstars from mid-1997. For those of you who are unfamiliar with WS, they were unique in that they had the same kayfabe stories and interviews as the other mags but they also had a monthly "Dream Match" and another special article like Top 20 Wrestlers, Top 20 tag-teams, Dream Tag Teams We'd Like to See, etc. The one I picked up had the Dream Tag-Team section. I found it funny that some of those teams that sounded ludicrous or impossible back then actually did happen. Some of them they put together b/c their gimmicks or in-ring styles meshed and some they just put on there b/c they were ridiculous:

Sting/HBK

Brian Pillman/Terry Funk

Undertaker/Giant

Rey Mysterio/Sabu

Triple H/Regal

Abdullah the Butcher/Yokozuna

Dean Malenko/Taz
Chyna/Jacquelyn

Hogan/Piper

Owen/Eddy G

Raven/Lawler (this was back when Lawler was waging war on ECW)

DDP/Austin (right around the time they were both kind of tweeners and just turning face)

Flair/Bret

Luger/Ahmed Johnson

Nash/Hawk

Mero/Tommy Dreamer

Scott Hall/Sid

Mongo McMichael/Dr. Death

Blue Meanie/Goldust

Jake Roberts/Sandman (this was back when Jake was doing the Born Again thing and Sandman was, well, being Sandman)

What are some other dream tag-teams you guys would like to see? And who'd be the best team of the guys above (in their 97 incarnations). I'd have taken that Austin/DDP team.

• Like 1

On one of the previous iterations of DVDVR there was some kind of "create your own tournament" thread that I vaguely recall.  Maybe everybody did tag teams, I can't remember, but I definitely did a huge march-madness tag tournament that Benoit & Kawada won.  So, this must have been a long time ago.  Knowing what a ridiculous mark I am, they probably beat Samoa Joe & Bryan Danielson in the finals.

Current day dream team is tough.  I want to include Brock, because Brock, but the idea of Lesner just standing on the apron waiting for a tag sounds like the worst thing in the world.  Gotta have DB since he's probably the best hot tag right now.  Cesaro and Goldust are both tearing it up as tag wrestlers right now, as well as everyone on the Shield, obviously.  I think, if DB started including some of his 2006 dickhead heel BITW stuff in his current persona, then a tag team with Nakamura would be SWAGGED DA FUCK OUT.

As for the list above, gimme gimme gimme Owen/Eddie vs. Bret/Flair all day, erry day.

These are the teams I can name from that list that actually happened:

Taker/Giant

Hogan/Piper

Meanie/Goldust

Did Sid and Hall ever team in the last days of WCW? I also feel like Trips and Regal might've teamed once on RAW. I know they interacted quite a bit during the Eugene feud but I can't remember if they ever teamed before then. From what I remember, I thought Flair and Bret were supposed to team after their face vs. face match at Souled Out but that angle got nixed.

On one of the previous iterations of DVDVR there was some kind of "create your own tournament" thread that I vaguely recall.  Maybe everybody did tag teams, I can't remember, but I definitely did a huge march-madness tag tournament that Benoit & Kawada won.  So, this must have been a long time ago.  Knowing what a ridiculous mark I am, they probably beat Samoa Joe & Bryan Danielson in the finals.

Current day dream team is tough.  I want to include Brock, because Brock, but the idea of Lesner just standing on the apron waiting for a tag sounds like the worst thing in the world.  Gotta have DB since he's probably the best hot tag right now.  Cesaro and Goldust are both tearing it up as tag wrestlers right now, as well as everyone on the Shield, obviously.  I think, if DB started including some of his 2006 dickhead heel BITW stuff in his current persona, then a tag team with Nakamura would be SWAGGED DA FUCK OUT.

As for the list above, gimme gimme gimme Owen/Eddie vs. Bret/Flair all day, erry day.

I'd like to see Goldust/D-Bry as a team. Best face in peril and the best hot tag. I think Brock could work as a tag-guy. Team him with a weaker guy (which I guess is pretty much everyone) against a cohesive tag-team where the story is that the cohesive team jumps Brock before the bell or something and beats the piss out of his partner for an extended period of time. The whole time you know that once Brock gets in, he's going to murder the other team but they're too good at keeping the other guy from the corner. From there, Lesnar could either heel it up and say, "eff it, you're on your own" to the other guy, leaving him high and dry and start another feud or just go the predictable route where he gets the tag and destroys anything that moves. WCW did something similar to that when Arn/Benoit took on Giant and Sullivan. They wouldn't let Giant in b/c they knew once he got in, there wasn't anything either of them could do to him.

Not sure if these qualify as Dream Tag Teams, but from my many years of using TNM (yes, I am a geek), I came up with several that I found consistently entertaining.

I had an asskicking tag team of Bad News Allen and Fit Finlay called Black Irish. I still think that would have been a good team in their prime, as long as Finlay controlled the flow of the matches and Allen came in for spots. I also had a xenophobic stable focused around the team of Bob Backlund and Dr. Death Steve Williams called the Ugly Americans. Two big monster teams that I think would have been awesome in real life were Stan Hansen/Sgt. Slaughter and Vader/John Tenta. And one team I made that I thought would have been an awesome insufferable heel team was Ron Garvin and Paul Orndorff.

• Like 1

Right now, I'd love a Christian/Goldust tag team. Feel-good old guys who can still go, and either one can be the FIP or the hot tag.

Assuming all guys are at their peak, all-time, I'd want Vader/Lesnar for my dominating heels, Styles/Bourne as my babyface flyers, and Kobashi/Joe as badass faces (preferably in an American promotion so I can see some mid-90s Kobashi doing hot tag sequences).

Give me Ricky Morton to build the heat and Daniel Bryan to come in for the hot tag.  

Give me Tito Santana and Ricky Steamboat for team never turn heel.

Give me Jake Roberts and DDP for team watch out for that finish.

Give me Joey Ryan and Jimmy Del Ray for team sleazy gyration.