DVDVR Message Board

Dexter: The Final Season

Petey

Last I remember that chick wasn't into Dexter.

I hope this Bautista's Place spin off actually happens because that sounds like an epic disaster.

The neighbor? I think she was until they had that lunch date where Dexter was exceptionally awkward.

I'm trying to decide if the show has slipped back to season 5 levels of aimless sucktitude. It's like the polar opposite of BREAKING BAD. The show is ending and there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency whatsoever.

It's weird.  There's no real formidable opponent for the ending, and no one is closing in on Dexter.

I mean, way too many people know about him now, and there is a risk there.  But none of them are after him.

Vogel, Hannah, Deb, Zach.

The story of Dexter having to kill this kid now and Vogel not wanting him to could make a solid season ending arc if they had developed the Dexter/Zach relationship more.  But as a series ending?

It's starting to feel like the end of this series is just going to be the set-up for the spinoff, rather than a satisfying ending.  Which sucks, because if there was ever a show that screamed from its first episode

"HOW IT ENDS IS WHAT MATTERS!!!!!!"

It was this one.

I'm telling you ambiguous ending aaaaannnnnd let the movie rumors begin. It'll be interesting to see what Michael C. Hall does post Dexter.

He was on the Nerdist last week and he sounded like he was very ready to move on. He already has two movies lined up. And I've never heard him on any other podcasts or interviews before, but he was hilarious. I don't think I've laughed that much listening to the Nerdist before. I hope he gets some funnier roles in the future because he definitely has the comedic chops to pull it off.

I was ready to give up on the show after waiting for it to get good once again after the Trinity arc and decided to stick with it just to see what happens.  As of now the only major things I can see happening are-

Dexter needing to kill the kid, but the kid letting him know that if anything happens to him, he has evidence of Dexter's crimes and they'll be exposed in the event of his death.

Something with Hannah, perhaps Hannah trying to frame Dexter for her husband's murder or her trying to get him to run away with her after some other shit goes down.  Deb will most likely get involved and it'll be a situation where he has to decide between the two of them.  Either way there will once again be him having an internal conflict on whether or not he can actually kill her.

I still think it comes down to one of three different scenarios. Either the show ends with Deb on Dexter's table, Deb kills or arrests Dexter, or the two of them kill Vogel and that winds up as Dexter's last kill. I have a hard time seeing them killing off Dexter because it leaves Harrison with Deb of all people to raise him.

The story with Masuka and his daughter has to be leading somewhere. Why introduce this in the last season and spend so much time with it if it doesn't lead anywhere? She has to be involved somehow.

Doubt it. Probably just a way to wrap up that character. That whole plotline is beyond creepy as all I can think of is how Masuka is going to wind up hounding his own "daughter."

I thought about something else too, regarding EVA's comment about there being no urgency, despite this being the last season. There was a template for the showrunners of Dexter to follow to bring this series to a conclusion, and I feel that was The Shield. Dexter could never come close to touching the quality of The Shield, which may be as close to a perfect show as you can get, but with this final season meandering to a close, I can't help thinking that the final season of Dexter should have been similar in tone, pacing, and direction to the final season of The Shield. On the surface, Dexter gaining immunity at the expense of others only to then be locked into an existence where eyes are on him at all times preventing him from killing again seems like the appropriate end and punishment for that character.

If you don't watch this show hoping that in this episode, Ghost Doakes turns up and kills the entire cast in five minutes, and the remaining 40 minutes are dedicated to a music video being shot at a roller skating rink for a "Surprise Muthafucker" remix of Cha Cha Slide, I question your ability to critique television.

• Like 1

If you don't watch this show hoping that in this episode, Ghost Doakes turns up and kills the entire cast in five minutes, and the remaining 40 minutes are dedicated to a music video being shot at a roller skating rink for a "Surprise Muthafucker" remix of Cha Cha Slide, I question your ability to critique television.

Posted Image

I just want to get in here before Craig and say that I know I should have hated this.  It was a flat out bizarre sequence of scenes of people acting in ridiculous ways.  At times it was practically bedroom farce (the hotel room scene with Deb, Hannah, Dexter, and Zach).  And at other times it was a weird John Waters-esque black comedy (the dinner scene) and they ran wild with stuff that just evaporated just for a few punchlines...

But every other time they've tried comedy on this show I've Haaated it.  But I didn't hate this.  It was just insane enough and the kid playing Zach was just oddly charming enough.  Deb's storyline didn't fit in, or at least her just giving up...and once again they've used a whole lot of tesnion buildup toward something as just a big fakeout....but I laughed.  I enjoyed it, especially the dinner in a grotesque way.

It's not what this show was ever supposed to be...but at this point, I'll take it because there was no chance of recovering what this show was or could have been.

And it had a neat effect of disarming us and hinting at a way forward to set up the twist.  My wife was genuinely upset, and I can't remember the last time either of us gave a fuck about what happened to any character on this show, including Zach up to about 40 mins. into this episode.

That in itself was pretty clever...short-circuiting us into liking and caring about a character just in time...

It's like, if you had dumped this season exactly as it has been in my lap and said, "We need you to make us care about this kid now in one episode enough that this twist hits home."  I wouldn't have been able to do it...I probably wouldn't have thoght of using comedy to get there fast.  So whoever wrote this episode did pretty good with a pretty impossible task.

I just want to get in here before Craig and say that I know I should have hated this.  It was a flat out bizarre sequence of scenes of people acting in ridiculous ways.  At times it was practically bedroom farce (the hotel room scene with Deb, Hannah, Dexter, and Zach).  And at other times it was a weird John Waters-esque black comedy (the dinner scene) and they ran wild with stuff that just evaporated just for a few punchlines...

But every other time they've tried comedy on this show I've Haaated it.  But I didn't hate this.  It was just insane enough and the kid playing Zach was just oddly charming enough.  Deb's storyline didn't fit in, or at least her just giving up...and once again they've used a whole lot of tesnion buildup toward something as just a big fakeout....but I laughed.  I enjoyed it, especially the dinner in a grotesque way.

It's not what this show was ever supposed to be...but at this point, I'll take it because there was no chance of recovering what this show was or could have been.

And it had a neat effect of disarming us and hinting at a way forward to set up the twist.  My wife was genuinely upset, and I can't remember the last time either of us gave a fuck about what happened to any character on this show, including Zach up to about 40 mins. into this episode.

That in itself was pretty clever...short-circuiting us into liking and caring about a character just in time...

It's like, if you had dumped this season exactly as it has been in my lap and said, "We need you to make us care about this kid now in one episode enough that this twist hits home."  I wouldn't have been able to do it...I probably wouldn't have thoght of using comedy to get there fast.  So whoever wrote this episode did pretty good with a pretty impossible task.

Dude, I could totally copy and paste everything you said because it echoes my thoughts EXACTLY. I'm not sure how they did it, but they managed to pull off an actually funny episode of Dexter that had my wife and I guessing who killed Dexter's neighbor until the final reveal. I thought thought they would go with a nutty twist and have Quinn frame Zach and he was the killer of Dex's neighbor. That would at least be out of left field and not as obvious as Vogel, who they've been setting up all season long. My wife also had a funny remark about Vogel, Dexter, Hannah, and Zach being a murdering superhero team. I'm sure that would be infinitely better than anything else that plays out this season. Such a bummer about Zach too, and it's typical Dexter. They actually give his character depth, make him likable enough, remove the veneer of him being a demented creep and instead make him look like a demented goofball, and then they kill him off.

Good episode and easily the best of this season, hell, best of the last couple seasons. And finally, we're off and running towards the finish line. Up until this episode, it felt like they were just blindly, stumbling around, but now we have our big bad, a weak one at that, questions about what happens with Deb when push comes to shove, if Elway will be able to bring in Hannah, if Dex can have his one last kill and be with Hannah forever completely forgetting about his son who is all alone at Angel's house and elbow deep into a Costco sized box of Fla-Vor-Ice, and if Vince's daughter is really FBI in a twist that is such a stretch that it's perfect for this show.

When Dexter's kid was at Quinn's was anyone else worried that he was going to have that blood-stained dog with him to set up another "Cop at Miami metro suspects Dexter" dead end?

Like, eventually some guy at "that other lab" that they're always sending things to secretly is going to call and be like, "Yeah...I work at Labco.  and, um, I'm pretty sure there's a guy named Dexter in your office who is killing the shit out of tons of people..."

When Dexter's kid was at Quinn's was anyone else worried that he was going to have that blood-stained dog with him to set up another "Cop at Miami metro suspects Dexter" dead end?

Like, eventually some guy at "that other lab" that they're always sending things to secretly is going to call and be like, "Yeah...I work at Labco.  and, um, I'm pretty sure there's a guy named Dexter in your office who is killing the shit out of tons of people..."

GOD DAMN YOU, GET OUT OF MY HEAD! :) Yeah, I thought the same thing. Kid brings the blood stained dog, Quinn has his suspicions and is lead to Dexter. However, any blood testing would be done by Dexter or Masuka, and Dexter could easily head that off. Plus, with the way Dexter washed that dog and with how it was in the trash, is there really going to be any DNA evidence to pull from a stain that is that old and has been washed that much? If they can't pull any DNA, all that has to be said is Dexter or Harrison cut themselves on accident.

• 3 weeks later...

I know the ending was a total red Wedding ripoff, but it made sense and in its own context ws pretty great way to set up the final run.

But I just need to say again Charlotte Rampling was a Fucking MVP this year.  Right up there with Lithgow.  She had to veer from sinister Dr. Frankenstein to terrified stalking victim, to demented mother figure, to confused helpless parent of a problem child.

Her five scenes tonight were all fantastic and sent her careening through a half dozen different emotional states. 

Absolutely carried the weight of an entire season.