DVDVR Message Board

UFC 169: Barão vs. Faber II (2/1/2014) - Newark, NJ (Prudential Center)

Elsalvajeloco

It is amazing to me how the UFC seems intent on not building any contenders.  I asked my friend last night, "Name me one Ricardo Lamas win in the last year."  He couldn't.  So now Barao and Aldo - probably the two most consistent champs in the UFC now - are stuck in the no man's land with the public thanks to Zuffa's inability to build worthy contenders not named Faber.

Yeah it is rather ironic that ever since the UFC started doing that top 10 list for divisions that UFC is booking mostly "dream matches".  Instead of looking at the list and saying maybe Mendes II or Cub Swanson II it is more about Aldo vs Pettis and trying to get everyone in the gain or loss the weight.  

But then again most people including Dana a few times said that the top 10 list is worthless

It is amazing to me how the UFC seems intent on not building any contenders.  I asked my friend last night, "Name me one Ricardo Lamas win in the last year."  He couldn't.  So now Barao and Aldo - probably the two most consistent champs in the UFC now - are stuck in the no man's land with the public thanks to Zuffa's inability to build worthy contenders not named Faber.

of course he couldn't, Lamas hasn't fought since January 2013.

If there is any time to do superfights (Barao-Johnson, Aldo-Pettis), this would be the time to do them. You can't pout about Jones having to fight Teixeira and then talk about the ranking system in the lower weight classes. Right now, Aldo is the longest reigning champion in the UFC if you go back to the WEC. At some point, if he wants to go up, he should be able to go up a weight class. He doesn't have a real controversial fight he needs to revisit or any credible challenger he hasn't beaten. The two guys that are going to fight for the title once he vacates were both kneed in the face and out of there in one round. Knowing Pettis' injury history, he may be only good for one fight a year. May as well make it the best one out there.

Raphael Assuncao is a good fighter, but he has nothing in terms of giving Barao a problem. The ONLY reason to make that fight is because both are from north Brazil. Recife is three and half hours from Natal, and the fight would easily sell out the venue Shogun and Henderson are fighting in.

So with Aldo fighting Pettis at 155, does Barao move up to 145 then?

The UFC can still get their wish of Faber as champ at 135 lol.

Barao says he isn't moving up, so that means Mendes vs. Swanson.

If Aldo ever moves up to LW permanently, the FW division is going to be Mendes' and Edgar's going to remain at the top of the division as #2 with everyone else failing to beat him as he fails to beat Mendes.

The thing about Edgar is I don't know how well his chin is going to hold up in the future. He has taken some heaters to the domepiece in the last three years. Mendes ain't Julian Jackson, but he can throw with power.

Mendes got owned inside a round by Aldo, I doubt he destroys everyone.

Mendes didn't get owned by Aldo.

And yeah, I agree, aside from Guida, Elkins, Meza, McKenzie and pretty much everyone else except for Aldo, who has Mendes actually destroyed?

And yeah, I agree, aside from Guida, Elkins, Meza, McKenzie and pretty much everyone else except for Aldo, who has Mendes actually destroyed?

What? He was Koed hilariously. But yeah beating Elkins and McKenzie definitely makes him unbeatable to anyone else.

• Like 1

What? He was Koed hilariously. But yeah beating Elkins and McKenzie definitely makes him unbeatable to anyone else.

Yeah, you're right, Mendes has only beaten a bunch of scrubs.

Lentz, Guida, Elkins, Yahya, Vasquez, Cub, Koch, Siler, etc. are all scrubs.

What a padded record Mendes has.

Mendes held his own for the entire first round and sure he struggled to take Aldo down, but he continuously kept the pressure on Aldo clinching him against the cage in the last couple of minutes of the round and lifted Aldo up for a takedown which Aldo held on to the cage to avoid being taken down.

Say what you will and Elkins and McKenzie may not be great wins, but Mendes has beaten everyone he's ever face by completely shutting them down and/or destroying them aside from Aldo which makes him almost unbeatable.

No, but he hasn't visibly tried finishing anyone post-WEC either apparently and is fighting a lot less viciously now than he was back then.

You're a little skewed on Mendes in my opinion.  He's really good but stylistically I don't think he matches up well with Edgar because his striking isn't technical enough.  I think Edgar would make him look kind of stupid actually.  Constantly moving in and out and landing strikes at will.  

I do agree with El on his power though and that would be an advantage for him.  But wrestling is his game really and I think Edgar is a bit too experienced and too good for Mendes to continually land takedowns on him and control him.  I could definitely see him taking Edgar down a couple times throughout the course of the fight but I don't think it would be the norm.