DVDVR Message Board

UFC 169: Barão vs. Faber II (2/1/2014) - Newark, NJ (Prudential Center)

Elsalvajeloco

So, Is there actually anybody left for Barao? Other then Cruz? TJ Dillashaw? c'mon. let's be serious. 

I'd say Dominick Cruz but it depends on how he comes back from the numerous injuries, the way he fights and he hasn't fought since October 2011.

yes to Barao in Brazil. dude is a killer.

i'd like to see a Cruz unification bout even if it isn't officially one.

and why not for a Dillashaw fight? classy for Faber to call his buddy out for a shot.

my god, i haven't marked that hard in a long time but then Abel Trujillo just decimates Varner with that single shot. WOW.

• Like 1

Raphael Assuncao is ahead of Dillashaw, isn't he?

Don't have a problem with the stoppage.  Referee isn't looking for a thumbs up, he's looking for you to get out of the fetal position and doing something other than just covering up.

So, Is there actually anybody left for Barao? Other then Cruz? TJ Dillashaw? c'mon. let's be serious.

Raphael Assuncao is more deserving than Dillashaw.

Unification bout? Cruz was stripped of the title since he hasn't fought in over 2 years.

Think this show takes the record for most decisions at a UFC event as well.

I don't think this show had as many decisions as that horrible UFC card on Spike TV with Bisping and Leben main event.

- Abel Trujillo vs. Jamie Varner won Fight Of The Night, and Trujillo won Knockout of the Night. Bonuses were $75k each, so Trujillo took home $150,000 in extra money. There were no submissions on the card, which featured 10 decisions -- a UFC record.

- Attendance was 14,308 in the Prudential Center for a $1.651 million live gate. By comparison, UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen in April 2013 drew 15,227 for a gate of $2.7 million.

- In the post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White was very open to Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis for the 155-pound title. Aldo said he was for it. If that happened, he would vacate the featherweight title, but could compete as a challenger for it if he decided to drop back down after a potential loss to Pettis.

Pettis called White during the presser and said he'll fight Aldo. However, it will be up to the doctors as to when that fight could happen due to Pettis' knee injury.

- White said Herb Dean is a great ref, but made a mistake in stopping the Urijah Faber/Renan Barao fight in the first round.

- White said that they have no deal with Brock Lesnar, and that he's not coming back "anytime soon". Alistair Overeem called Lesnar out post-fight, but didn't really have a rationale for doing so.

Credit: f4wonline.com

So I was right, this card did have the most decisions in the history of the UFC.

Unification bout? Cruz was stripped of the title since he hasn't fought in over 2 years.

yes, that's why i said it wouldn't officially be one. just a linear title kind of thing.

Assuncao? yeah i forgot about him. i guess he probably would be next in line. His last fight IS a win over Dillashaw anyway.

Overeem calling out Brock was really funny because there really is no sign that Lesnar is going back to the UFC and the last time he destroyed his insides and took him out of the UFC to begin with.   I guess it is safe to call out the guy who probably won't come back to begin with since he doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of beating anyone else in the top 3

• Like 1

It is amazing to me how the UFC seems intent on not building any contenders.  I asked my friend last night, "Name me one Ricardo Lamas win in the last year."  He couldn't.  So now Barao and Aldo - probably the two most consistent champs in the UFC now - are stuck in the no man's land with the public thanks to Zuffa's inability to build worthy contenders not named Faber.

Overeem's brilliant. Call out a guy who you know isn't gonna come back but it makes you feel/look like a tough guy. It's like in 1997 when Hogan would call out Sting knowing he wasn't in the arena.

• Like 1