DVDVR Message Board

UFC 169: Barão vs. Faber II (2/1/2014) - Newark, NJ (Prudential Center)

Elsalvajeloco

418px-UFC_169_2_poster.jpg

UFC 169: Barão vs. Faber II

February 1, 2014

Newark, NJ (Prudential Center)

UFC Bantamweight Championship: Renan Barão © (135) vs. Urijah Faber (134.5) (first defense) - Barão, TKO (punches), R1 (3:42)

UFC Featherweight Championship: José Aldo © (145) vs. Ricardo Lamas (144.5) (sixth defense) - Aldo, DEC (unanimous)

Frank Mir (256.5) vs. Alistair Overeem (257) - Overeem, DEC (unanimous)

John Lineker (126)* vs. Ali Bagautinov (126) - Bagautinov, DEC (unanimous)

Jamie Varner (156) vs. Abel Trujillo (155.5) - Trujillo, KO (punch), R2 (2:32)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

John Makdessi (155) vs. Alan Patrick (155.5) - Patrick, DEC (unanimous)

Chris Cariaso (125) vs. Danny Martinez (125.5) - Cariaso, DEC (unanimous)

Nick Catone (185.5) vs. Tom Watson (185.5) - Catone, DEC (split)

Al Iaquinta (155) vs. Kevin Lee (155.5) - Iaquinta, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Clint Hester (185.5) vs. Andy Enz (184.5) - Hester, DEC (unanimous)

Tony Martin (155.5) vs. Rashid Magomedov (155) - Magomedov, DEC (unanimous)

Neil Magny (170.25) vs. Gasan Umalatov (170) - Magny, DEC (unanimous)

*Weighed in at 127 on first attempt

Event Bonuses:

Knockout of the Night:  Abel Trujillo ($50,000)

Submission of the Night: Not awarded

Fight of the Night:  Jamie Varner vs. Abel Trujillo ($75,000)

Attendance: 14,308

Gate: $1.651 million

Buyrate: 230,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Bobby Green vs. Abel Trujillo - Injury to Green

Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Chris Cariaso - Injury to Horiguchi

Dominick Cruz vs. Renan Barão - Injury to Cruz (Torn Groin)

Does anyone have any thoughts or info on Overeem training in Thailand? Sometimes a new camp and trainer can pay dividends.

He did some training in Thailand for his last camp, IIRC. Overeem's problems go beyond just his camp. In fights, he just doesn't do a whole lot. When you're fighting other heavy guys, that doesn't lead to good things (i.e. being on the wrong end of two come-from-behind knockouts). And he really isn't a one strike KO guy when all things are equal. There are no more James Thompsons and Tony Sylvesters at his pay grade. He can do it occasionally, but his run in DREAM and K-1 clouded opinions on his knockout power.

Does anyone have any thoughts or info on Overeem training in Thailand? Sometimes a new camp and trainer can pay dividends.

reem-robbie-samui.jpg

He looks relatively smaller.

Nova Uniao is walking in with 2 champions and walking out with 2 champions.

Also, I just noticed the prelims are extremely weak and uninteresting, but all 5 of those main card fights should be awesome.

Sick card which hasn't seem to garner as much attention as it should.

He did some training in Thailand for his last camp, IIRC. Overeem's problems go beyond just his camp. In fights, he just doesn't do a whole lot. When you're fighting other heavy guys, that doesn't lead to good things (i.e. being on the wrong end of two come-from-behind knockouts). And he really isn't a one strike KO guy when all things are equal. There are no more James Thompsons and Tony Sylvesters at his pay grade. He can do it occasionally, but his run in DREAM and K-1 clouded opinions on his knockout power.

Indeed, but he is fighting Frank Mir so expect all the Overeem lovers to rave about his KO power again after this fight.

Three round Faber?

Is that an implication that Barao finishes him within three rounds this time around?

Three round Faber hasn't ever lost a three round fight, he's looked particularly great against Brian Bowles, Ivan Menjivar and Michael McDonald. I want that Faber to show up and win the UFC Bantamweight Championship.

I forgot to propose we should have had a bonus event in the picks contest, will John Lineker make weight. Noticed I'm the only person picking Urijah Faber to beat Renan Barao. That pick is part heart overruling head one.

• Like 1