DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-27-14 - Post-Rumble Raw

MGFanJay

Shield invades the Wyatt residence like the dea rading a drug shanty.

Please tell me we get to see something along the lines of...

Brian%20Pillman.jpg

Luke Harper with a shotgun yelling in tongues would be awesome.

Reigns charges through a wall as Rollins shatters through a window with his rolling tumble. Then Ambrose strolls in through the door.

• Like 4

You know, Bryan's pretty whiny. I guess that appeals to a lot of the current generation though.

You do know in real life, Daniel Bryan doesn't really give a fuck, right?  He could probably lose for the next year, start feuding with Fandango, and he'd just shrug his shoulders, keep collecting his paycheck, and continue having Bella sex.  He's Bizarro Punk.

Meanwhile, if you want whiny, HHH throwing a fit because the crowd didn't react the way he wanted is right there.

You know, Bryan's pretty whiny. I guess that appeals to a lot of the current generation though.

You do know in real life, Daniel Bryan doesn't really give a fuck, right?  He could probably lose for the next year, start feuding with Fandango, and he'd just shrug his shoulders, keep collecting his paycheck, and continue having Bella sex.  He's Bizarro Punk.

He means Kayfabe, and not real life, Russo.

God, Gonzalez is defending me. My head. 

Look. Bryan just came out as really passive aggressive in that promo. As a character. I don't even know if it was the wrong choice since he's sort of speaking for the smarky fans that make up a bunch of the crowd. Punk was the same way a couple of years ago. It's one reason why I kind of like Punk's heel run with Heyman more than I like his weird quasi shooty face run the year before. 

I know you can't compare everyone to Austin. It's stupid to, but Austin would have gotten screwed, come out, and just messed people up. There was always that sense of unpredictability to him that anyone talking to him at any moment could get Stunnered. People could get behind that. There was an element of unpredictability to Punk in the beginning but it quickly went away and he was verbally sparring with Grampa Nash instead.

I think it shows, more than anything else, the nature of the crowd the WWE has right now. They've been beaten up so much that they're just passive aggressive. They're the smarky hardcores. I don't see a YES Movement except for maybe as an internet petition. He's basically no longer trying to fight the machine and now he's getting people to like his facebook post about how terrible it is instead.

Gregg talked a lot a few months ago about how he could relate to Bryan the way they were booking him back in Sept/Oct. That's sort of when he was storming the ring only to get decimated again and again. At least then he was storming the ring. Now he's posting twitter comments. 

Again, I'm not even sure it's the wrong move. I just don't know about it. 

I would appreciate Triple H's heel work more if I had any faith whatsoever that he would get any sort of significant comeuppance.

This has the same underlying problem as with heel Vince:  Even if the face wins the feud, the heel boss is still the boss.

I would appreciate Triple H's heel work more if I had any faith whatsoever that he would get any sort of significant comeuppance.

This has the same underlying problem as with heel Vince:  Even if the face wins the feud, the heel boss is still the boss.

Maybe Daniel Bryan will toast beers with HHH at Wrestlemania 33 in Aberdeen, Washington.

Wait, how do you know Bryan doesn't give a fuck and is just in wrestling for the money & Brie's vegan snatch?

If this is what Vince had them rewrite, I'd hate to see the first script. And whoever is writing Dragon's promos need to stop having him "ask" and start having him take. Him constantly pointing out that the fans are firmly behind him needs to stop too, he starts making the Authority look foolish & disrespecting them and the crowd will chant regardless.

Also Triple H should eat the running knee no less then 8 times heading towards Wrestlemania.

• Like 1

Shield invades the Wyatt residence like the dea rading a drug shanty.

In the end, it will turn out the religious messages were just a cover for the Wyatt's crystal meth ring.

Randy Orton and Batista in one segment, in which Brock Lesnar made them look like pussies. I loved every minute of it.

Yeah, and look at the fear on the face of that child before they snatched him, and sent him back to that backwards ass island.

Still one of the worst things Clinton approved of during his time as President, and cost Gore the election.

God, Gonzalez is defending me. My head. 

Look. Bryan just came out as really passive aggressive in that promo. As a character. I don't even know if it was the wrong choice since he's sort of speaking for the smarky fans that make up a bunch of the crowd. Punk was the same way a couple of years ago. It's one reason why I kind of like Punk's heel run with Heyman more than I like his weird quasi shooty face run the year before. 

I know you can't compare everyone to Austin. It's stupid to, but Austin would have gotten screwed, come out, and just messed people up. There was always that sense of unpredictability to him that anyone talking to him at any moment could get Stunnered. People could get behind that. There was an element of unpredictability to Punk in the beginning but it quickly went away and he was verbally sparring with Grampa Nash instead.

I think it shows, more than anything else, the nature of the crowd the WWE has right now. They've been beaten up so much that they're just passive aggressive. They're the smarky hardcores. I don't see a YES Movement except for maybe as an internet petition. He's basically no longer trying to fight the machine and now he's getting people to like his facebook post about how terrible it is instead.

Gregg talked a lot a few months ago about how he could relate to Bryan the way they were booking him back in Sept/Oct. That's sort of when he was storming the ring only to get decimated again and again. At least then he was storming the ring. Now he's posting twitter comments. 

Again, I'm not even sure it's the wrong move. I just don't know about it. 

You dubbed Daniel Bryan as the Austin for the generation of kids who can't pay their student loans back. I totally ripped that off.

I LOVED Bryan's promo last night. His stuff this summer was a lot more passive-aggressive and sarcastic. He's ALWAYS been about getting the title around his waist. That's how he views beating The Authority and the machine. A lot of the Attitude Era stuff made the title very secondary. There's nothing wrong with that in a lot of occasions -- it's actually been secondary to Bryan vs. The Wyatts and Punk vs. The Authority -- but now it's back to Bryan wanting the belt.

I look at this as the WWE's Occupy Wall Street moment right now. I don't want to get political with this stuff, but yeah -- there's a big connection between big corporations and rich people and the decision makers in our government, and it's all sort of unspoken but clearly there. There aren't a lot of people sticking up for the middle-class and little guy. HHH and his lackeys haven't explicitly come out and said there's a conspiracy, but they've done a terrific job of "show and don't tell" with only Michael Cole acting as the narrator, balanced by JBL doing his best Big Media mouthpiece denying this is true while reaping the benefits of being rich and one-of-them.

There are other people we root for (or are supposed to) in Cena and Punk and The Rhodes Boys. But Cena's a product of the machine, albeit one who knows The Authority is wrong. I look at him as someone like George Clooney or Alec Baldwin -- outspoken about issues like Darfur or various left-leaning causes, but still rich and famous and people who got to the 1% because they had the right look. There's nothing wrong with that, but not everyone can embrace that dude.

Punk's the loudmouth guy who wears his causes on his sleeves. I like Punk a ton and a lot of that is because I know his language -- I grew up going to basement punk shows and making zines and certainly waved my flag. But, yeah, he's abrasive and overly self-righteous at the same time and now there's a bit of a backlash in the smart wrestling fan (as in intelligent, not smart to the business) community against him. And I think that's part of it.

The Rhodes Boys put family first despite the bank calling in the loan for their family run restaurant right at the same time TGIFriday's up across the street. But they scrapped together and made it and probably had the local newspaper write about them and are back to serving delicious egg salad sandwiches. And if you want to extend this wordy (and probably insane) metaphor, Show worked at the local Bank of America branch who was their loan officer and was forced to call it in due to quota-related job pressurs but his kid is on the Little League team they sponsor.

(And that's why the match where The Rhodes Boys won the titles was my MOTY. If you're ranking things based just on workrate, I'm not going to disagree with how you come to your opinion. But my thoughts were based on the layered, textured storytelling of all this -- the angle was built and built and built for weeks at a time and the payoff was tremendous. When did wrestling ever feel like a Jimmy Stewart movie?)

But the whole journey through all of this -- his feud with The Wyatts got top billing since that began -- has been Daniel Bryan. He's just an underdog, like all of us. He knows he's being screwed over but isn't wearing his veganism or his environmentalism on his sleeve. He just wants to make it but doing so the right way. He doesn't want to be the hero (he described himself as a "reluctant hero" in Grantland) but he IS the hero and now he's embracing that position. And now he's being embraced even more.

Say what you want about the smark crowd, but I'd like to think a lot of WWE fans are a little more educated and hip to issues than they were in past decades. A lot of the better wrestling writing right now (Juice Make Sugar, The Classical, Brandon Stroud, Masked Man, Holzerman) comes from people who are legitimately smart and educated people who know about income disparity and the other issues of our day. It's a lot better than the Attitude Era when we had stuff like SCOOPZ and opinions about moves hit in matches and selling while note really capturing the "why are people consuming this" question. There's nothing wrong with looking at how and why matches work -- that's sort of the point of what the hell we talk about -- but people are looking at this stuff from a broader perspective now.

It's a great time to have a liberal arts degree and like wrestling.

• Like 4