DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

He was given a shot. In fact he was given four shots, and resulted four bad PPV buys.

Time to give it a rest. The only two guys who have successfully moved the needle on PPV buys of late are The Rock and to a lesser extent, Lesnar. PPVs have been trending down for years and Cena didn't save them, CM PUNK didn't save them...  nobody has. They are $45 and people have found better ways to spend their money. That's in part why WWE is giving up on the model. It's dead.

I went to the show and I'm disappointed. Not gonna write a review now... But Batista flipping off kids in the crowd and doing a mock yes chant in the ramp with his middle fingers was bs. Dude sucks and couldn't get the crowd over. That's his fault.

vIa1PlL.jpg

I know that Randy Orton gets hurt randomly and all, but it seems like putting him in a protective bubble and not having him defend the title until Wrestlemania is a bit much.

But i'm sure the paradox will take hold whenever Orton tops the belt. Where it'll be all due to those fans at the Rumble

Looks like Randy Orton vs Batista at WrestleMania XXX. The crowd reaction to it will be brutal.

I'm kind of excited for an unruly crowd tomorrow.  Cleveland can do this, right?

Indignant rioting with an overinflated sense of purpose is the one sport Cleveland's good at.

• Like 3

Indignant rioting with an overinflated sense of purpose is the one sport Cleveland's good at.

oh yeah, that reminds me of something I read a few hours ago. Sorry Bix, but i'm quoting this for how fucking ridiculous and overdramatic it is.

If WWE is going to change their plans, ruining their shows during this pivotal period during the lead-up to the WWE Network launch and WrestleMania is the only realistic way to make it happen.

I'm really worried that it won't, though, and the fans will get angry enough that we'll see some really ugly scenes in the next few months.  This is not good heat.  I absolutely don't want anyone to do anything dumb or dangerous like throw trash at the ring (Seriously: Don't do that or anything like that.  Ever.), but I'm worried it's going to happen.  The sentiment from people who already bought tickets could build into something very ugly in the next few months.  

Maybe Bix is a bit more concerned about ugly sentiments than Big Nasty.. but that's an interesting worry to have.. yeah

The Rumble got off to a great start with Bray/Bryan. That was a legit MOTYC and the easy frontrunner for now. The match structure and spot ideas seemed like they were all Bryan, but Bray really stepped up and held his own in there. His timing was great, he was in good position for Bryan's moves and delivered all of his own moves perfectly. Definitely looked like he belonged in a high end match. And if you told me 3 years ago that Husky Harris would be in a ppv match getting "This is awesome" chants, I would've thought you were crazy. While there will be plenty of time for bemoaning the misery of being a Daniel Bryan fan, I am quite happy for Bray getting a big moment here.

The Show/Lesnar post-match went on way too long, but the pre-match and all 2 minutes of the actual match were great. Lesnar getting in with a quick sucker punch, then taking Show down with ease and going to the G&P was beautiful. He also ate the fuck out the KO punch during Show's comeback. Looked like he was straining a little bit more with the F5 than he was in 2003, but he still hit it nicely. Also, how much do you think Show hated hearing the match layout from the agent? "So, we're thinking you need to take about, oh... 100 chair shots from a guy who is notoriously stiff and has been bumping like a freak the past two weeks to get you over... This is the only time we're giving him to get any heat on you..."

Anyway, at this point, I'm thinking we're on pace for an all-time great ppv. Excellent MOTYC level opener, decent (if not long) heat grab for Lesnar, and Bryan jobbing to set up a triumphant return later... Well, you know what happens.

Cena and Orton had no chance to get over in their match and they both knew it. You can tell they gave up after about 30 seconds. Terrible performance by Orton who has no business making to Mania with the strap(s). I've been a big defender of Orton in the past (and this by no means invalidates his previous good works), but he has been truly abysmal since HIAC. barring the one good Raw match with Bryan. Not one of his ppv matches since then has had an ounce of heat and two of them feature the crowd actively shitting on it. He's booked terribly and is beyond mailing it in inside the ring. Cena wasn't particularly good here either, but I can't blame him for not trying. The crowd wasn't having any of it, right or wrong. Going to the Rock/Cena MOTY-winning formula of no-transition finisher exchanges was the diarrhetic icing on this shit sundae.

The Rumble was pretty much what I expected. Solid stuff as usual for the early stages, and the overall impression would be determined by Bryan winning or not. Reigns was a house of fire, and most of the Shield stuff was pretty good. Sheamus looked solid in his return. Nash gingerly lowering himself to the floor and still clutching at his knee when he touched was sickly hilarious. Kofi's jump was amazing. That Rusev guy didn't look half bad, way better than Bo Dallas at least. Of course, the lasting memory was the crowd's vile hatred of Batista. I knew people would turn on him eventually if he got pushed over Bryan, but I didn't think it would be undeniable by his second appearance. I never wanted to see Batista back, now he's immediately my least favorite guy on the roster, below the Miz and Curtis Axel. 

Overall, I'm glad we got Bray/Bryan and the Lesnar/Show bit was good until the second bell, but let's just say I'm not as enthused about my Wrestlemania ticket purchase as I was 3 months ago... After tonight, they have to at least contemplate Bryan/Taker for something to put on last. Batista/Orton for the title will be a Lesnar/Goldberg clusterfuck at best. There can't be anybody who seriously thinks running that match in front of a Mania crowd is a good idea, especially after the Rumble. I know I personally will partake in every effort to make the DVD-editing guy earn his paycheck if that's actually the main.

I don't think he's really been given a legit shot to prove if he can be a draw or not.

He was given a shot. In fact he was given four shots, and it resulted in four bad PPV buyrates.

A *legit* shot was what I said. Meaning, not booked like a doofus on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

The Show/Lesnar post-match went on way too long, but the pre-match and all 2 minutes of the actual match were great. Lesnar getting in with a quick sucker punch, then taking Show down with ease and going to the G&P was beautiful. He also ate the fuck out the KO punch during Show's comeback. Looked like he was straining a little bit more with the F5 than he was in 2003, but he still hit it nicely. Also, how much do you think Show hated hearing the match layout from the agent? "So, we're thinking you need to take about, oh... 100 chair shots from a guy who is notoriously stiff and has been bumping like a freak the past two weeks to get you over... This is the only time we're giving him to get any heat on you..."

WWE gets revenge on Show for the Survivor Series 2013 PPV buyrates ; ).

• Like 1

I can't think of too many fan bases less intimidating in the event of a riot than modern day american wrestling fans.

Clearly you are failing to take into consideration the long-term economic impact of structural overload:

2i269mh.gif

Not to mention the effects of chronic inflammation on the GDP.

It will take awhile, but things will fall.

See Triple H, now you've gone and pissed off Dewey.

Be9iR4PIMAERlVf.jpg

Little Dewey vs. Triple H at Mania.

You do know Dewey's in his 20s now, right? Beyond the Mat was 14 years ago...

Wow. I knew Noelle was around 20-something but I figured Dewey was 18 or 19.

The only reason I've refrained from making creepy comments about Noelle's hot Twitter picture so far is because I wasn't sure she was over 18, so thanks dude. You've freed me from my shackles.

Joking aside, it's pretty cool that the Foley kids still love wrestling so much.

Fuck Mick Foley. Own biggest fan. His head disappeared up his own asshole years ago.

I feel the only way I can ever get one over him though is, in the spirit of creepy online douchery, is to go out of my way to masturbate over his daughter and make sure he knows about it.

I'm a longtime Foley fan so I can't necessarily get behind the first part, if anything just because I can't make myself talk bad about him.....

But that second part......I can't for the life of me explain why it made me laugh so hard, but it did.  Like, legit until I had tears in my eyes.  Well done, sir.

So I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about the Rumble itself and wishing D-Bry had been in it.  What I can say though is that the booking makes me angry because if people weren't so worked up over the finish, we'd be having a lot more fun talking about how feeble and embarrassing Kevin Nash was tonight.  It's a shame too because physically the guy looks great......everyone should look so great at 54.  Until he moves, that is.  At that point he seemed to be struggling to even walk without everything from the navel down exploding into dust.  Just stop, man.  Stop.

During Orton's interview earlier in the night when he went out of his way to insult the Wyatts more than once, it made me wonder if they'd get involved.  Then they did.....and attacked the opponent of the man who insulted them.  That's an explanation I'm pretty curious about as far as the story goes. 

To keep the Boo-tista meme going:

6BqsWYe.jpg

Also, Mick Foley does his own Facebook rant:

HEY WWE....WHAT THE F?

Yes, I'm going to put a brick through my TV. It's just going to have to wait until tomorrow. I had every intention of putting a brick through my TV tonight, after seeing that Daniel Bryan was not even entered in the Royal Rumble match, let alone going to win the thing. But, upon seeing their dad with a brick in his hand, my younger children got a little bit scared, thinking their dad had lost his mind. A rather spirited debate about the wisdom of following through on the promise to put a brick through my TV ensued with my wife - and, as is usually the case in marital debates, I, being the husband, did not emerge victorious. Honestly, the points she made about mercury and glass fragments everywhere were pretty good ones.

But I'm still going to put a brick through my TV. It's just going to have to wait until tomorrow - when the kids are in school, and I can take the TV outside the house for the actual throwing of the brick. Granted, it's not nearly as dramatic as doing it live, right after the Rumble, but at least I will be keeping my word.

As I mentioned on Twitter, I've never felt so disgusted at the conclusion of a WWE (or any) PPV. Like many of you out there, I just don't get it. This Daniel Bryan thing is a phenomenon. You get it. I get it. The fans in Pittsburgh (yes, I was thinking of writing "RIGHT TH...but I'm just not in a cheap pop mood) got it. But tonight, for the first time, I had to admit to myself that the powers that be are just not going to get it. And that makes me sad. I'm just honestly sad, just flat out fucking sad (yes, I dropped an F-bomb there to emphasize how F'ing sad I am for the guys who bust their butts night in and night out - Ziggler, Punk, Bryan, etc - with no hope of getting their shot at this year's Mania.

You know who else I'm sad for? Me. In my two years as an official WWE Ambassador, I never once had to lie about my enthusiasm for the company or the product. Now, although I am no longer officially an Ambassador for WWE (believe it or not, my only official role in WWE is as GM for Saturday Morning Slam, a contract that ends in one month) I was till looking forward to being part of the biggest event of the year. I'll probably end up going anyway. But I'm about 1/6th as excited about it as I was just a few hours ago. I wanted so badly to hear 75,000 WWE fans chanting "YES" - and seeing fans walk away absolutely ecstatic about the outcome of a PPV for the first time in a while...a long while. But when given the chance to make it happen (unless they've got something MAJOR up their sleeve) WWE's answer tonight was a resounding "NO, NO, NO".
  • Like 1

Sheamus/Bryan is going to be the "Vince/Hunter fight over control of the WWE" match, isn't it?

I'd caution Bryan & Sheamus to remember what happened to the last proxy wrestlers in a Wrestlemania match.

If Hunter is tied up with Punk I'm not sure how that will work.

Decent show, cool to see the Outlaws as tag champs again even though I love the Rhodes' and would rather them not split. Surprisingly short match though. Bray/Bryan was really good, exceeding expectations. Definitely Wyatt's best but still not sold on Wyatt/Cena for Mania. Cena/Orton didn't feel too special with the crowd hating on it from the get-go. Did enjoy the finisher trading stuff towards the end though. Glad we got some surprises for the Rumble, mostly Nash as I always mark for him. Good to have Sheamus back and Roman Reigns was awesome all match. Surprised they finally had someone break Kane's record. Felt bad for Rey and really everyone in the match from that point on. Sounded like a constant stream of boos for the rest of the show.

I would guess the Chamber will be Orton/Cena/Lesnar/Wyatt/Bryan/Sheamus with Punk facing Kane. Interested to see if all the rumored plans stick. If so, I could see Batista/Orton still headlining regardless of the response, especially being the first WM with just one title again. Don't really see Lesnar/Taker headlining or HHH/Punk.

Sid tweeted that this Rumble sucked.

When the master and ruler of the world says it, I guess that makes it official.

Unfortunately fake, Sid is not on twitter