DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: ERIC EMBRY

RIPPA

God - I so would have been way more excited if Eric Embry had been TNA's "big signing" from last week.

And of course - thanks to the nature of World Class, I am always shocked to remember that Embry is still alive.

2atlas_EricEmbry.jpg

While a good worker, no one said "scuzzy pro wrestler" better than Embry.

Even when Embry worked as a babyface, there was something about him that said "Do not trust this guy."

While a good worker, no one said "scuzzy pro wrestler" better than Embry.

Even when Embry worked as a babyface, there was something about him that said "Do not trust this guy."

A very young Dustin Rhodes with the unfortunate curly hair at the end of this.

1991/1992 Eric Embry is one of my favorite wrestlers ever. So sleazy and just a natural heel. His feuds with Lawler, Dirty White Boy, Bill Dundee are all great. Plus he had interactions with guys like RVD, Pat Tanaka and Dutch Mantell. Babyface Embry is alright but he was at his best as a heel. This is one of my favorite moments of his:

and if you got time to kill, here's a playlist of Eric's 1991/1992 run. Make sure you watch the 10 minutes of Mayhem video that is like a old ECW brawl taking place in the studio.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7C287741C72B0996

The Texas/Tennessee feud is my shit!

Embry uniting with Tojo Yamamoto, the guy he just got done feuding with in Texas.  Tojo wearing a cowboy hat and always waving a Texas flag.  Funk coming in and beating Lawler for the Unified World Title.  Robert Fuller and Eddie Gilbert teaching Jeff Jarrett how to cheat so he can combat the cheating Texans.  Dirty White Girl.  Bald-headed Ms. Texas.  It's by far my favorite wrestling invasion angle.

Then when Dutch Mantell came back to the territory, Embry said he wasn't really  from Texas and he never heard of any place called Oil Trough and then Dutch shows up in the studio...

1991/1992 Eric Embry is one of my favorite wrestlers ever. So sleazy and just a natural heel. His feuds with Lawler, Dirty White Boy, Bill Dundee are all great. Plus he had interactions with guys like RVD, Pat Tanaka and Dutch Mantell. Babyface Embry is alright but he was at his best as a heel. This is one of my favorite moments of his:

Man, they so missed the boat by not having a tear roll down SoA's cheek when Eric dumped that can out.

It wasn't a vignette or anything.  With Fuller, he was trying to toughen Jarrett up and let him know that he had to fight fire with fire and that the heels were going to cheat and use chairs so you've got to go ahead and use them too.  With Gilbert it was a lot of switching behind the ref's back without tagging and playing hide the chain.  The commentators would question whether or not it was good that Jarrett was picking up Gilbert's usual tactics but they would acknowledge how effective they were.