DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

Christ. I finally got around to watching the Goldberg blu ray and I was dreading that match the entire time. I can't believe they included that garbage.

I remember blown wrestling angles with the same amount of disgust as I have for tough playoff loses by my favorite teams.

The Invasion angle is the 2004 ALCS to me*

Yeah, October 2004 never happened for me either.

Doing some YouTube TNA binge watching because I like to torture myself. 

You know, as bad as the Joker Sting gimmick was, you've got to give the guy credit for actually trying to reinvent himself in his 50s. It would be pretty easy or him to just mail it in at this point (and some would say he does in his matches), but at least he was putting in some effort to freshen up his character. And as flat as it was, you could tell he was really into it.

From today's WON daily update:

--An on-line petition signed by wrestling fans demanding Daniel Bryan get a WWE title match at WrestleMania that was started on the White House's web site was taken down.  It was in a section on the site allowing Americans to contact the Obama Administration to take action on important issues in the country.  Evidently they didn't not feel a WWE title match at WrestleMania was an important national issue  Nearly 100,000 people had signed the petition.

That can't possibly be right.  When I looked it had less than 20.  Meltzer's got to be confusing the number of signatures the petition needed with the number it actually received.

Quick question for DVDVR Universe - Do any of you know much about a canceled Marvel vs WCW comic? Got a guy that sent in a photo of a page he got in an auction, no real details about the project.

The page has Bret Hart locking Captain America into a Sharpshooter and is the shit. Hart looks to dressed in his Slam Force gear, a WCW hero toyline.

http://superitch.com/?p=18868

0010.jpg

Probably got shitcanned when WWF bought WCW.  Don't recall any of the WCW license holders retaining their rights after the sale.

What doesn't make any sense is Bret Hart being able to beat Captain America.  I'm going to assume the prior page has a panel where Hart flung his jheri curl juice in Cap's eyes.

• Like 1

Regarding Austin talking about Punk, if anyone listen's to Austin's podcast, it should be plainly clear one of his biggest regrets is walking out when asked to lay down for Brock. So I'm sure this situation with Punk feels a little familiar to Austin, and Punk being one of Austin's friends, probably makes Austin want Punk to not make the same mistake.

True, Austin says regrets it in retrospect but I dont blame Austin for walking out at the time, I mean wasnt any thing person against Brock IMO it was the fact that on a creative end he was used poorly like Punk has been. The fact that Brock did turn out a success adds to his regret but Austin was a victom of bad booking for months and months before being asked to talk the fall to Brock. Plus he had alot of personal stuff to deal with.

Regarding Austin talking about Punk, if anyone listen's to Austin's podcast, it should be plainly clear one of his biggest regrets is walking out when asked to lay down for Brock. So I'm sure this situation with Punk feels a little familiar to Austin, and Punk being one of Austin's friends, probably makes Austin want Punk to not make the same mistake.

True, Austin says regrets it in retrospect but I dont blame Austin for walking out at the time, I mean wasnt any thing person against Brock IMO it was the fact that on a creative end he was used poorly like Punk has been. The fact that Brock did turn out a success adds to his regret but Austin was a victom of bad booking for months and months before being asked to talk the fall to Brock. Plus he had alot of personal stuff to deal with.

He's said in interviews that he'd have laid down for Brock in a big match on a ppv. He thought giving it away for free with no build-up was stupid. Can't say I disagree...

Probably shitcanned earlier, when AOL time warner merged with Turner, since DC is part of that deal.

Nah, Turner merged with Time Warner in the mid-nineties.  DC wouldn't have played any factor in any Turner business.  Marvel's Blade was put out by Turner's New Line.  There wasn't any real corporate synergy between the Turner companies and Time Warner companies back then.

Upcoming St. Louis-area independent shows:

Saturday 2/1:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling at the Stratford Inn in Fenton, MO

Saturday 2/8:  Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance at the South Broadway Athletic Club in St. Louis

Saturday 2/15:  Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling at the Community Center in East Carondelet, IL

Tuesday 2/18:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling at Off Broadway in St. Louis

Friday 2/28 + Saturday 3/1:  St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, IL with Roderick Strong and the Young Bucks

With all the reports of Triple H feeling disrespected by CM Punks actions and is pretty much gonna let Punk go come July while Vince wants Punk to stay and is handling the situation now, I think that whatever the outcome in will let us have an understanding of how much power Triple H has and how much power Vince has left. Granted CM Punk is ultimately the sole deciding factor of if he resigns or not, I think this will be interesting and will be a turning point in the WWE, in terms of how the do business and whatnot.

Captain Mike was where it was at gimmick-wise.

The best part is that Rotunda apparently did it because he got a new boat in a sponsorship deal from a St. Petersburg lot from it.

Boats don't pay for themselves, ya'll.

Doesn't matter when your damn son sets it on fire on some cultish weirdo kick.

So, anyone thinking about going to National Pro Wrestling Day tomorrow? I have a feeling that Cabana v. Gulak could be really boring, but I'm hoping for some sort of weird Chikara angle that centers around the Swamp Monster, Archibald Peck, and the love child of Kate from Lost and Biff Tannen controlling the eye of Tyr.

So, anyone thinking about going to National Pro Wrestling Day tomorrow? I have a feeling that Cabana v. Gulak could be really boring, but I'm hoping for some sort of weird Chikara angle that centers around the Swamp Monster, Archibald Peck, and the love child of Kate from Lost and Biff Tannen controlling the eye of Tyr.

I'm gonna try and watch the stream near the end of the show.

With all the reports of Triple H feeling disrespected by CM Punks actions and is pretty much gonna let Punk go come July while Vince wants Punk to stay and is handling the situation now, I think that whatever the outcome in will let us have an understanding of how much power Triple H has and how much power Vince has left. Granted CM Punk is ultimately the sole deciding factor of if he resigns or not, I think this will be interesting and will be a turning point in the WWE, in terms of how the do business and whatnot.

If Vince Convinces Punk to come back, he's coming back point blank and he gets creative control for the rest of his contract. If HHH does have a problem with Punk im sure Vince could smooth things out. I dont even believe HHH would try to stop Punk from coming back. I dont even believe HHH has any heat with Punk even though he may be a little hurt that Punk doesnt want to work with at 'Mania If that is the case.

Im not saying that but Vince is getting up there and age and is most likely gonna step down in the next few years and all I was trying to say was I think that if Punk leaves and Triple H has a BIG influence in the decision then it would look like Vince is close to stepping away. You know what frig off dude I dont have to explain myself to you. I dont have to explain myself to anyone.