DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

What the hell was that? Shouldnt Smackdown spoilers be hidden? Im sorry but I dont think that was cool to show the Chamber qualifiers.

Lighten up, Francis.

After Cindy breaks up with Todd, Sam finally asks Cindy out on a date after she tells Bill that she has a crush on Sam and wants Bill to convince Sam to invite her to a party. Sam, Neal, and, Bill find themselves nervously attending a make-out party. Much to Lindsay's disappointment, the Weirs allow Nick to stay the night at their house after Nick's father sells his 29-piece drum kit.

After Ken's girlfriend, Amy, reveals to him that she was born an intersex woman, Ken questions his sexuality and his over analysis of his relationship with her leads him to the conclusion that he has to break up with her. Sam is having a terrible time dating Cindy, who reveals herself to be shallow, rude, and egotistical. He tries to find the courage to break up with her. Lindsay struggles with asking Vice President George Bush a question during an assembly.

By chance, Lindsay and the freaks find out that Nick has been dating Sara (Lizzy Caplan) and she has been teaching him to dance for an upcoming disco competition. Daniel, afraid of failing another test, is caught trying to pull the fire alarm. As punishment, he is forced to join the Audio/Visual club. The geeks respond to his presence coldly at first, but they later invite him to a game of Dungeons & Dragons. As a result of Lindsay's outstanding grades, she receives an invitation to an academic summit at the University of Michigan taking place for two weeks during the summer. However, she is unsure of whether or not she wants to attend.

Are you watching Freaks n Geeks with Mrs. Drew or are you re-watching? If this is your first time through, have you finished?

That's really cute, but we finished overnight during the blizzard. I didn't read this until this morning. 

But, you know, good luck with that whole "internet justice campaign". That's really sweet.

• Like 1

The real victims in the Punk leaving thing are Living Colour.

The WWE making a deal where Living Colour get paid every time Punk's theme is played would be a WCW-esque mistake.

Uh...they're called royalties.

What I was saying was that I'm sure the WWE came to a deal with Living Colour where they pay them x amount of dollars a yea   instead of paying them royalties.  Something the WWE doesn't like to do when it comes to music.  Either way it's going to get dubbed over in the future.

LOL at the idea that Punk just walked out of his contract because he wasn't getting the Cena push. The pipebomb promo is still working the marks, I guess.

Payday and injury issues make a lot of sense, though. He was clearly burnt out and it showed in his ring work.

Maybe he should man up and take some fucking somas.

• Like 2

I want to see a disgruntled Jim Ross bring in Corey Graves as the new and improved CM Punk.

They should just have Graves on the main roster on Monday as if nothing happened.

Or they could have Corey play a barely visible Punk getting run-over at the beginning of the show. During the episode they replay the footage over and over again while giving us updates on his condition, and telling us to "Pray for Punk". All this culminates with Cole telling fans the sad news that Punk has passed away at the local hospital(Not revealing the location because Vince doesn't want people to know that they're in Buttfuck, Alabama).  

The real victims in the Punk leaving thing are Living Colour.

The WWE making a deal where Living Colour get paid every time Punk's theme is played would be a WCW-esque mistake.

Uh...they're called royalties.

What I was saying was that I'm sure the WWE came to a deal with Living Colour where they pay them x amount of dollars a yea   instead of paying them royalties.  Something the WWE doesn't like to do when it comes to music.  Either way it's going to get dubbed over in the future.

And as me and others have pointed out, that's not how the music industry works. If you want to use copyrighted music on your television show, you need to obtain the rights from the copyright holder, typically a record label, and pay royalties to the artists.

I think what he meant is that WWE probably struck a deal where they pay a one time fee for the rights to use it for a period of time, rather than a "pay everytime it's used" deal.

The rights are negotiable, so that's highly likely, but royalties aren't, and in Ron's first post on the matter, he referred to "The WWE making a deal where Living Colour get paid every time Punk's theme is played".

It's royalties which are paid to the artist, and yes, those have to get paid out every time they play their song.

Per Meltzer (since I have only seen the TMZ link posted so far)

Matt Hardy and wife Rebecca Reyes Hardy were arrested early on New Year's day on assault charges after an employee of the Hampton Inn they were staying at called 911.

The employee called at 5:45 a.m. on 1/1 and said she had heard that a man was beating the hell out of his girlfriend or wife in a hotel room and was scared to go in there.

Police arrived and saw both with marks all over their faces and arrested both on charges of assault and battery.  They were released on $3,500 bond and each filed restraining orders at the time against the other.  However, they have since made up as have worked wrestling shows together and posted photos of them together.

Hardy had scratch marks all over his face and Reyes Hardy had a fat lip, a black eye and cuts on her face when police brought them in.

Matt Hardy is on top of the facebook trending list, whatever the heck that means. I just saw it.

I declare Matt D as the official DVDVRMB reporter of important things on social media.

"It seems as though #wcw is trending on Twitter. Not sure why, but on an episode of Saturday Night from 20 years ago the team of Sting, Flying Brian, and Dustin Rhodes wrestled Harlem Heat and The Equalizer."

• Like 1

Matt Hardy is on top of the facebook trending list, whatever the heck that means. I just saw it.

I declare Matt D as the official DVDVRMB reporter of important things on social media.

"It seems as though #wcw is trending on Twitter. Not sure why, but on an episode of Saturday Night from 20 years ago the team of Sting, Flying Brian, and Dustin Rhodes wrestled Harlem Heat and The Equalizer."

Which is funny since matt doesnt use twitter

I try not to be too negative here, and I lurked long enough to know that this is a sore spot, but I'm just going to say that Punk being gone makes the show instantly better and more watchable. 

I find Punk to be tiresome on the mic. He's what your typical Cageside Seats poster would be if they were a wrestler: cringe-worthy promos full of snark, terrible-looking offense and crappy athleticism, thinks he's a billion times better than he is.

If they were going to use Punk, it should have been as a heel that still gets cheered by the depressing part of the crowd that thinks being a creepy-looking dude who complains incessantly while also doing a disservice to Randy Savage every time he drops an elbow is cool. Then they could put him in the ring with the faces that can help him do passable work (Bryan, Cena, and turn Cesaro because that dude is awesome). Otherwise, he's worthless as a character on the show. Now that he's gone, it leaves room in the fringe main event/upper-midcard for someone who is actually good at the pro graps. 

• Like 8