DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

I know it's early and nobody knows anything yet, but it sure sounds like Punk quit. Which wouldn't be the biggest shocker in the world, since it's pretty clear he doesn't give a fuck at the moment.

FSW, can you call him up and get us an update?

• Like 1

CM Punk recently took part in an extensive video interview with MMAFighting.com where he discussed a number of topics, including his contract status with WWE, Ultimate Warrior, the Michelle Beadle situation and the WWE Network.

CM Punk revealed during the interview that his contract expires in July. As of the interview, CM Punk said there have been no discussions about signing a new one and that he isn’t sure whether he wants to remain with the company.

“Everything is up in the air,” he said. “Plus, if I say yes and I don’t then I was lying. If I say no and I re-sign I was full of [expletive].”

“Three years ago, I was out the door. I was 100 percent, ‘No, I’m not re-signing’ and now, this time just, to avoid little bit of déjà vu, I think I’m going to dance around that question,” he added.

CM Punk said that his boss changes about every six months and doesn’t know who his boss is currently.

He does prefer to go straight to Vince McMahon to get things done. He said that he has a direct line to McMahon being as though they both don’t sleep very much.

“I go through like a cycle where I just kind of stay out of the way and I don’t talk to anybody, but then I realize I do have this ability to communicate with Vince McMahon, the guy I used to watch commentate.” 

just something from a few days ago

Damn, now I'm worried about The Waiter.

You guys remember what a cold streak FSW had in terms of both quality posts and accumulated "likes" the last time Punk disappeared? 

It turned into his Dick Jones phase.  No one wants to revisit that.

HANG IN THERE, PUNK!

CM Punk recently took part in an extensive video interview with MMAFighting.com where he discussed a number of topics, including his contract status with WWE, Ultimate Warrior, the Michelle Beadle situation and the WWE Network.

CM Punk revealed during the interview that his contract expires in July. As of the interview, CM Punk said there have been no discussions about signing a new one and that he isn’t sure whether he wants to remain with the company.

“Everything is up in the air,” he said. “Plus, if I say yes and I don’t then I was lying. If I say no and I re-sign I was full of [expletive].”

“Three years ago, I was out the door. I was 100 percent, ‘No, I’m not re-signing’ and now, this time just, to avoid little bit of déjà vu, I think I’m going to dance around that question,” he added.

CM Punk said that his boss changes about every six months and doesn’t know who his boss is currently.

He does prefer to go straight to Vince McMahon to get things done. He said that he has a direct line to McMahon being as though they both don’t sleep very much.

“I go through like a cycle where I just kind of stay out of the way and I don’t talk to anybody, but then I realize I do have this ability to communicate with Vince McMahon, the guy I used to watch commentate.” 

just something from a few days ago

Punk made an interesting point in that interview about how much money he would be losing on PPV bonus checks by WWE ditching the Pay Per View model and putting all the shows on the Network for so cheap.

To be fair to Triple H, he has twice ended Mania tapping out.

Laugh all you want, but I really think it'll happen. Triple H is generous about putting people over on only one night of the year.

Its like that episode of Scrubs where theres only one day a year Dr. Krldo day yes so theres a big line in front of his office.

Meltzer sez Punk told Vince right before RAW that he was done. Said WWE figured he was leaving in July. Punk told Vince it isn't any one thing, but a lot of things that have built up. Said Punk was the only one backstage and publicly upset about losing income from PPV buys and that the Network would give WWE a new revenue stream not covered under wrestlers contracts. Said a lot of guys are worried about it but Punk was the only one talking about it. Said Punk saved his money and couldn't stand being there anymore so he left.

Maybe Vince and Triple H need to look seriously at why all his top stars except Cena seemingly have a nervous breakdown, leave, and can only stand to be there part-time. Lesnar, Batista, Punk, Jericho, Austin (though that was mostly injury-related), I guess even Lashley...

Maybe Vince and Triple H need to look seriously at why all his top stars except Cena seemingly have a nervous breakdown, leave, and can only stand to be there part-time. Lesnar, Batista, Punk, Jericho, Austin (though that was mostly injury-related), I guess even Lashley...

The Rock.

Vince has been a workaholic for decades. So in his POV, they're the ones with the problem, not him

But the schedule these days is Raw, Smackdown, two days off, three house shows from Friday to Sunday. That seems ripe for improvement as I've noted before. Move SD tapings off of Tuesday to make it 4 on/3 off

The Rock.

I left him off because anyone would leave WWE if they had the options that the Rock had/has.

• Like 1

Vince has been a workaholic for decades. So in his POV, they're the ones with the problem, not him

But the schedule these days is Raw, Smackdown, two days off, three house shows from Friday to Sunday. That seems ripe for improvement as I've noted before. Move SD tapings off of Tuesday to make it 4 on/3 off

I'm not a "fuck Vince" guy at all, but he really needs to retire and the company needs a top-to-bottom overhaul.

The Mike Johnson version is similar to Meltzer's version (though it doesn't specifically mention the PPV revenue thing)

By Mike Johnson on 2014-01-29 02:10:09 Former WWE and World champion CM Punk has been pulled from all advertising of WWE live events going forward after a meeting with WWE management yesterday at the Raw taping in Cleveland, Ohio.

We have been working on details for the last 24 hours (as Dave Scherer and I noted on our respective Elite audios earlier today), but the belief among those who are willing to talk about the situation is that Punk is no longer factored into company plans. Punk is under contract to WWE through July.

Punk was slated to face Triple H at Wrestlemania 30. This past Monday's Raw instead began teasing Daniel Bryan vs. HHH down the line, possibly for Wrestlemania.

We have heard from several sources that the original script for yesterday's Raw called for Punk to wrestle Antonio Cesaro and lose after Kane interfered, allowing Cesaro to qualify for the Elimination Chamber. It should be noted that another source has denied that and claimed that Punk was never booked to wrestle last night and was only booked to do a promo that would follow up on Kane causing Punk's elimination from the Rumble. But, Punk was originally slated to be on Raw and those segments were yanked. He was not backstage during the taping and was not backstage at Smackdown.

It is believed that when Vince McMahon had the writers re-write Raw late yesterday (6 PM for a taping that was scheduled to start at 7:45 PM), it was because Punk had informed the company he was going home and wouldn't be back.

While we cannot 100% confirm why, the belief among wrestlers backstage is that Punk leaving was not an injury issue. It was described to us as more likely a case of burnout and unhappiness with the overall direction of the company. Punk had been very vocal in the past about the usage of returning and "part time" stars being pushed beyond wrestlers who were working full-time for the company.

In his interview with Ariel Helwani last week, Punk talked about the crazy schedule he's held up working for the company over the last decade. Punk said that he's been doing it ten years and doesn't know anyone else who can say that. He said that he's only taken time off for injuries and that when he took two months off in 2013, it may not have been long enough.

Punk, who worked about 50 minutes in the Royal Rumble match was described as "pissy" after the PPV, although that wouldn't be an unusual description of Punk's demeanor backstage.

One source believed that since Punk's last goal was to work a Wrestlemania main event, it may also be a situation where Punk realized it wasn't going to happen this year and with his WWE deal expiring in July, that may have weighed down upon him because he was so goal driven and this was one he couldn't accomplish because of elements that were outside of his control.

In the interview with Helwani, Punk was asked about WWE killing his momentum at times and why such things happen. Punk responded that he'd like to think they don't make those decisions on purpose and it's more they wanted to go in another decision. He claimed it's a different era and different time and it can't be looked at the same way he did when he was a kid.

Yesterday, Punk wrote on Twitter, "Thanks for all the support. Keep being you guys, it's pretty cool."

Depending on how you read the statement, it could be taken as a cryptic farewell.