DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

The guy is actually fairly film literate despite the stuff he wrote for wrestling - he did work in a video store and watch movies all day 

I actually do understand where Russo's love of twists and swerves come from. He thinks it makes great entertainment and drama.

Problem is, he never realized there's a significant difference between the wrestling business and something like The Usual Suspects.

That TNA would hire Russo again is so funny that there's not even words. I've got nothing. It's so funny that the Benny Hill theme or a Booster Gold bwahaha gif wouldn't cover it. The shockmaster animated gif would not do it. There's nothing. No Picard headslap gifs. There is literally nothing that the internet can provide to fully manage it.

Since somebody already brought up the whole concept of "The Undertaker" being a mantle that should be passed on to another wrestler.....which let's face it would never fly in the current era.....it made me consider another hypothetical. If the other white meat Sheamus came along two or three generations/eras earlier wouldn't he be much better off long-term given "The Undertaker" gimmick than the pasty upper card placeholder he currently is by just being himself?

Because to me he's no more distinct a top face fit to be the guy than Hacksaw Jim Duggan or Brutus Beefcake were back in the day. To me his clasp on the now defunct Smackdown B World Title only went to show how diluted things are in the current WWE where they don't want anybody to get too over but they'd pick his bland ass to have that 2nd or 3rd spot from the top on lockdown (Cena, Orton/Punk.....Sheamus.)

Sheamus will certainly be better served to turn heel and wreck some fools upon  his return. If the rumors about Sheamus/Bryan at WM it does make sense he'd be the Authority's next chosen one.

Mania was pretty time stretched as it was. You'll note that they cancelled the ten man tag and moved it to Raw and really cut down Earthquake vs Bomb too. Diesel was really a big part of the Shawn vs Razor build and match and they were running Diesel vs Razor on house shows for the Wrestlemania Revenge tour (He wins the IC belt a month or so after Mania, after all). So they probably didn't want to blur lines. 

The guy is actually fairly film literate despite the stuff he wrote for wrestling - he did work in a video store and watch movies all day 

So did Randall from Clerks but I don't want him booking a pro wrestling company either.

• Like 1

this looks great

WWF @ Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum - November 18, 1989 (7,325)

WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition defeated Arn Anderson & Haku (sub. for Tully Blanchard)

Probably was taped too.

It wasn't.  The last PRISM Philly show taped for TV was February 1989.