DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

You know, I don't know if there's been a better gimmick (and better performance of that gimmick) in wrestling history than King Booker. I'm watching some of that stuff on YouTube right now. He was just incredible with that character.

King Bookah's my favourite version of Booker T. I won a signed promo photo of King Bookah which is framed on my wall.

I loved King Bookah--just great stuff. I watched some of the Best of KOTR the other night and was happy to see King Bookah hosting.

King Bookah is one of the few wrestling characters that my wife would laugh at or be interested in if she happened to catch him. She also likes Vickie Guerrero's "Excuse Me" for what it's worth.

Edit: One more thing, I was watching RAW on Hulu the other day when my 14 year old daughter looked up to see Batista and said "That guy looks like Pitbull." I figured you guys would appreciate that.

• Like 3

You know, I don't know if there's been a better gimmick (and better performance of that gimmick) in wrestling history than King Booker. I'm watching some of that stuff on YouTube right now. He was just incredible with that character.

King Bookah's my favourite version of Booker T. I won a signed promo photo of King Bookah which is framed on my wall.

I loved King Bookah--just great stuff. I watched some of the Best of KOTR the other night and was happy to see King Bookah hosting.

King Bookah is one of the few wrestling characters that my wife would laugh at or be interested in if she happened to catch him. She also likes Vickie Guerrero's "Excuse Me" for what it's worth.

I was happy to find King Bookah presenting the Best of King of the Ring DVD.

Carrying on the King Bookahhhhhh love:

• Like 3

Edit: One more thing, I was watching RAW on Hulu the other day when my 14 year old daughter looked up to see Batista and said "That guy looks like Pitbull." I figured you guys would appreciate that.

Any chance she could fill us in on who that is?

• Like 2

King Booker speaking in high-toned English, then getting flustered and speaking like he normally does after something bad happened to him, was a pretty funny running gag. 

• Like 1

Curt Hawkins is a professional talking head for WWE DVD's now.

Also, I don't care how much heat I get for this, but I think King Booker was responsible for some of the most boring Smackdown's ever. I mean, yeah it was funny the first couple of times, but after about a month, we got the point. Plus, Booker never really did it in the ring for me.

What the fuck is wrong with wrestling fans that makes them so different than other fans of other things? No one wants to see Jim McMahon carted back onto Soldier Field because they don't like Jay Culter. Or pay Ali to throw one more punch for the hell of it. But when it comes to wrestling, regardless of how immobile the guy is, fans still want to see them do something that no non-wrestler their age would even dare to fucking do.

Guess it is something I will never understand.

For me, it's about nostalgia; reliving a piece of my childhood. I literally got chills when Hulk Hogan showed up at Wrestlemania to save Eugene from Mohammed Hassan and Dwivari.. Same thing when Jake Roberts showed up on Raw a few weeks back.

• Like 1

What the fuck is wrong with wrestling fans that makes them so different than other fans of other things? No one wants to see Jim McMahon carted back onto Soldier Field because they don't like Jay Culter. Or pay Ali to throw one more punch for the hell of it. But when it comes to wrestling, regardless of how immobile the guy is, fans still want to see them do something that no non-wrestler their age would even dare to fucking do.

Guess it is something I will never understand.

For me, it's about nostalgia; reliving a piece of my childhood. I literally got chills when Hulk Hogan showed up at Wrestlemania to save Eugene from Mohammed Hassan and Dwivari.. Same thing when Jake Roberts showed up on Raw a few weeks back.

See I don't mind stuff like that if it's a 5 minute segment. Have the old guy come out, do their thing, get a nice pop and get out.

I hate to bring this up, but isn't WWE's version of a franchised Krusty... well..

4doinks_36291_original_display_image.jpg

They should have given Doink a side gimmick as a painter.  Heel Painting Doink would have been a sloppy-haired, John Wayne Gacy-esque sociopath.  After seeing the light and renouncing his evil ways, he could let his "hair grow out" into the afro and become a wrestling Bob Ross.

• Like 1

What about Curt Hawkins, though?

He's still employed as far as I know, is not injured as far as I know, hasn't had any match since October, and hasn't appeared on Raw or Smackdown in, I don't know, 5 years? (except for that one time, when they teased the male stripper angle with Tyler Reks.)

Clearly, they've just forgotten he's still employed at this point and he's hoping every day they don't remember so he still gets a paycheck.

Last time Hawkins was on Raw was a year ago putting over Broadus Clay.

So if the Daniel Bryan wrestlemania match is what people are rumoring it to be, all I got to say is UGHHHHHHHHH AGAIN :angry:

Sheamus? Hope he gets atleast 20 seconds this year.

*Ha! I was joking. Did a google search & bam. Hopefully those plans get trashed ASAP.

So if the Daniel Bryan wrestlemania match is what people are rumoring it to be, all I got to say is UGHHHHHHHHH AGAIN :angry:

Sheamus? Hope he gets atleast 20 seconds this year.

*Ha! I was joking. Did a google search & bam. Hopefully those plans get trashed ASAP.

The best metaphor for Bryan's WWE career:

2lsywk8.gif

I'd like Sheamus to come in really over the top, kind of like Bo Dallas delusional heel. Putting his arm around Bryan and going on about how he did a good job carrying things while he was away but now he can go back to being Cruiserweight champ or something and that if he needs anything he can call 1-800-brogue. 

• Like 2

Curt Hawkins is a professional talking head for WWE DVD's now.

Also, I don't care how much heat I get for this, but I think King Booker was responsible for some of the most boring Smackdown's ever. I mean, yeah it was funny the first couple of times, but after about a month, we got the point. Plus, Booker never really did it in the ring for me.

Had Booker not been sacrificed to HHH in 2007, a Cena/Booker program on Raw would have been good fun.

• Like 1

One story I heard was that TNA are bringing back Russo because they're afraid Jarrett is going to bring him in for his new promotion.

Alas, Dixie lacks the brains to realize that if she really wants Jarrett's new company to flop all she has to do is let him hire Russo.

• Like 1