DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

So what IS the deal with AJ Styles?  I know he came in for the match with Magnus, but is he actually with the company?  I really don't hate myself enough to go in the TNA threads.

By the sounds of it he's done with TNA and waiting to see what Jarrett does with his new promotion.

So what was the match with Magnus for?  You'd think that would be to get AJ's belt off of him for continuity, but apparently they bungled that too.

I, too, was born on a date!

12118029815_00e5fbbe0c.jpg

So, uh...does anyone know what Evan Bourne has been doing this whole time? Why he hasn't returned? Why he hasn't been released if they aren't going to do anything with him? What about Big Zeke, JTG, and Yoshi? Are they all just sitting at home? Where's Layla? Did anyone else notice Teddy Long disappearing?

Or how about this: Does Curtis Axel have a finishing maneuver? Can you prove it?

Bourne got into a car accident and destroyed his foot during his suspension. Multiple breaks and dislocations that put him out a year. He did one match last year at NXT.

Zeke got 2 hernias in training last month, and had surgery last week. Layla hurt her knee again.

JTG and Yoshi appear on Superstars.

Axel's finisher is a shitty neckbreaker.

Was that info you had in your memory bank?

When was the last time those dudes were on raw or sd?

Made me curious so their last RAW or SD appearances:

Evan Bourne - January 16, 2012 (Loss to Epico & Primo on RAW)

Ezekiel Jackson - July 3, 2012 (Battle Royal on Smackdown)

JTG - December 17, 2012 (Loss to Brodus Clay on RAW)

Yoshi Tatsu - March 8, 2013 (Loss to Mark Henry on Smackdown)

Layla - September 23, 2013 (10 Diva Tag on RAW)

So what IS the deal with AJ Styles?  I know he came in for the match with Magnus, but is he actually with the company?  I really don't hate myself enough to go in the TNA threads.

By the sounds of it he's done with TNA and waiting to see what Jarrett does with his new promotion.

So what was the match with Magnus for?  You'd think that would be to get AJ's belt off of him for continuity, but apparently they bungled that too.

That was it, a unification match with Styles' belt vs Magnus' which Magnus won after tons of interference. The match was taped on December 5, Styles' contract expired on December 17, match aired on TV on January 9. Styles then returned to ROH, is working CZW in a couple weeks and has other indy dates lined up.

Lots of people are capable of saying how they'd change something to make it better. Not many can actually make a good thing from scratch. That's the beauty of the Pro Wres, the most hindsight friendly thing in sports or entertainment.

I listened to him a few times on podcasts. Anytime he fantasy booked an alternative story it was worse than what actually happened. Even that first sentence would be giving him too much credit.

Lots of people are capable of saying how they'd change something to make it better. Not many can actually make a good thing from scratch. That's the beauty of the Pro Wres, the most hindsight friendly thing in sports or entertainment.

I listened to him a few times on podcasts. Anytime he fantasy booked an alternative story it was worse than what actually happened. Even that first sentence would be giving him too much credit.

Yes. He's just taking a bigger dump in a smaller bowl. It was the same with Russo. Whenever one of these guys gets too much control.. it's chaos. Say what you want about Vince but usually the good outweighs the bad on RAW/SD! and he has a lot to do with that.

What about Curt Hawkins, though?

He's still employed as far as I know, is not injured as far as I know, hasn't had any match since October, and hasn't appeared on Raw or Smackdown in, I don't know, 5 years? (except for that one time, when they teased the male stripper angle with Tyler Reks.)

Clearly, they've just forgotten he's still employed at this point and he's hoping every day they don't remember so he still gets a paycheck.

What about Curt Hawkins, though?

He's still employed as far as I know, is not injured as far as I know, hasn't had any match since October, and hasn't appeared on Raw or Smackdown in, I don't know, 5 years? (except for that one time, when they teased the male stripper angle with Tyler Reks.)

Clearly, they've just forgotten he's still employed at this point and he's hoping every day they don't remember so he still gets a paycheck.

Last time I saw Hawkins was when Sami debuted on nxt.

You know, I don't know if there's been a better gimmick (and better performance of that gimmick) in wrestling history than King Booker. I'm watching some of that stuff on YouTube right now. He was just incredible with that character.

King Bookah's my favourite version of Booker T. I won a signed promo photo of King Bookah which is framed on my wall.

Russo is just glad to have another gig lined up. After he finished writing the Dexter finale, the man was seriously worried about what he'd do next.

I heard he made a hefty sum penning Iron Man 3.

As for Hawkins, I thought he was training people. Didn't The Rock tweet that Hawkins got him back into in-ring shape? Oh.. that's why we haven't seen him..

• Like 1

You know, I don't know if there's been a better gimmick (and better performance of that gimmick) in wrestling history than King Booker. I'm watching some of that stuff on YouTube right now. He was just incredible with that character.

King Bookah's my favourite version of Booker T. I won a signed promo photo of King Bookah which is framed on my wall.

I loved King Bookah--just great stuff. I watched some of the Best of KOTR the other night and was happy to see King Bookah hosting.

King Bookah is one of the few wrestling characters that my wife would laugh at or be interested in if she happened to catch him. She also likes Vickie Guerrero's "Excuse Me" for what it's worth.

Edit: One more thing, I was watching RAW on Hulu the other day when my 14 year old daughter looked up to see Batista and said "That guy looks like Pitbull." I figured you guys would appreciate that.

• Like 3

I loved King Bookah--just great stuff. I watched some of the Best of KOTR the other night and was happy to see King Bookah hosting.

King Bookah is one of the few wrestling characters that my wife would laugh at or be interested in if she happened to catch him. She also likes Vickie Guerrero's "Excuse Me" for what it's worth.

I was happy to find King Bookah presenting the Best of King of the Ring DVD.

Carrying on the King Bookahhhhhh love:

• Like 3

Edit: One more thing, I was watching RAW on Hulu the other day when my 14 year old daughter looked up to see Batista and said "That guy looks like Pitbull." I figured you guys would appreciate that.

Any chance she could fill us in on who that is?

• Like 2