DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

Firstly, Hulkamania will live forever. It's what Jesse said at the end of WM 6 and it's true then, and it's true now.

Another thing, with the Atomic Leg Drop, it's weird watching the Hogan initial title run (I was 3 when he won the title and I'm pretty sure my first wrestling memory is Andre beating him when I was 6) and hearing Gorilla use the term "Hulk Up" or Hogan dropping the "this is where the power lies" and other lines that I only remember him using as a heel

Also, Perfect's over-bumping would be held against him.

• Like 1

I think with Dolph they followed him on twitter, saw his brutal attempts at being funny and was like TO THE MIDCARD YOU GO.

I enjoy him in ring but never saw him as a main event player. Upper midcarder who challenges for the title on occasion but never THE GUY.

So he really is this generation's Curt Hennig?

Perfect with today's roster would be the face of the company and hold the title forever.

Did you not see Mr. Perfect's last WWE run?  If anything, he would be EXACTLY like Dolph Ziggler:  a guy who claims how great he is but time after time they'd have to force-feed how much bullshit that is to us.

The Mr. Perfect vignettes were so great in showing us this dickhead telling us how awesome he was then backing it up.  Now he'd be doing challenges with Cena and made to look like an idiot.

Perfect is roughly 400x better than Ziggler. He'd be a top guy in these sparse times. Assuming he's 1990ish Perfect, not whatever he would be like today.

No

The only man that could defeat Hulkamania was the Immortal Hulk Hogan himself telling the fans that they could stick it, brother

And so can youuuuuu

Nah. It was Yoko. 

And then the Ghost of Hulkamania came back to try and haunt the WWE and this guy was all like

brockwwe.jpg

"I HATE GHOSTS."

SQUEEZE! SQUEEZE! SQUEEZE!

One of my favorite matches. I don't remember if the camera got a glimpse of fans high-fiving each other like it did when Yokozuna beat Hogan at King of the Ring 1993.

I love that fucking match so much.  Really Hogan's last hurrah in a lot of ways.  Heyman of all people made Hogan look like the biggest world beater ever.  More than anyone else had in years.  Screaming out shit like "He's DIFFERENT Brock"!  Just urging Brock to not dick around because he Hulk fucking Hogan, and he WILL find a way to beat you.  Just an awesome match.  Shame it was wasted on free TV.

It's mind blowing to think about Hogan's physical condition and how it has deteriorated. I mean, in 2002 when he wrestled Brock, it was a case of "OK, this is an old timer in a match with a freak of nature, but it's Hogan, no big deal."  But given his condition now, I'd be terrified to even see Hogan stand in the same ring as Brock, for fear of Hogan just crumbling to pieces.  And I'm not saying that to bash Hogan......hey, people age, and being a pro wrestler, especially one who had the schedule he did in the 80's, you can probably multiply that aging tenfold. 

And if the Meltzer story is true, that he can't do anything physical, that's really depressing.  I mean hell, Dusty Rhodes is 8 years older and in terrible shape and even he threw a bionic elbow this year.  The little Hulkamaniac in me from my childhood just shed a tear. 

• Like 1

No

The only man that could defeat Hulkamania was the Immortal Hulk Hogan himself telling the fans that they could stick it, brother

And so can youuuuuu

Nah. It was Yoko. 

And then the Ghost of Hulkamania came back to try and haunt the WWE and this guy was all like

brockwwe.jpg

"I HATE GHOSTS."

SQUEEZE! SQUEEZE! SQUEEZE!

One of my favorite matches. I don't remember if the camera got a glimpse of fans high-fiving each other like it did when Yokozuna beat Hogan at King of the Ring 1993.

I was there, and I was high-fiving my friend. But we were in the upper deck and everyone else around us seemed shocked and disappointed.

Hulkamania came back back stronger than ever after all those defeats.

The only force ever capable of defeating Hulkamania was Vince Russo's booking.  Feuding with Billy Kidman came closer to ending Hulkamania than Yoko ever did.

Cocaine could have ended Hulkamania, but Hogan used his BACKSTAGE POWERZ and only jobbed to cocaine on house shows, never tv.

With Hogan out of doing anything physical at Mania, and Cena teaming with Hogan was a rumored plan for Cena at Mania, what does Cena do at the big show now? Could this be the year we finally get Cena/Taker?

Around this time of year, I always try to fantasy book Mania, but I just can't do it this year. I come up with 3-4 possible matches, but then stall out. There's just too many guys and to many possible ways so many things could go between now and April. This is not a bad thing at all. Say what you want, but this is always an exciting time of year.

Speaking of Hogan, Meltzer says that WWE sent him through their medicals. Not only is he not going to be wrestling, he's not cleared to do anything physical.

Baldie, what match is that gif from, said he who has no television (stoopid Black Friday robbery!)?

Speaking of Hogan, Meltzer says that WWE sent him through their medicals. Not only is he not going to be wrestling, he's not cleared to do anything physical.

My next question is "how could anyone have possibly expected him to be cleared for a match?"

so... wrestling angles they couldn't pull off in 2014 due to technological advances:

1) "Four flat tires" - since in theory, they'd just call somebody and get a ride from the hotel to the arena.

2) Cheating spouse because everyone has a goddamn phone/youtube account these days

3) A heel being extra flamboyant (re: Adruab Adonis) because people are hyper social media justice warriors

so... wrestling angles they couldn't pull off in 2014 due to technological advances:

1) "Four flat tires" - since in theory, they'd just call somebody and get a ride from the hotel to the arena.

2) Cheating spouse because everyone has a goddamn phone/youtube account these days

3) A heel being extra flamboyant (re: Adruab Adonis) because people are hyper social media justice warriors

The name flub spurred me to add to #3 "evil foreigner heels," same reason.

• Like 1

Random observation: Roddy Piper in '96-'97 has the most cringe-inducing, terrible promos I have ever seen. I'm cool with randomness, but his terrible jokes, goofy insults, odd choices of pop cultural reference, and sometimes aimless ramblings are just painful. 

Even guys that are bad at promos ("And this will be the moment, starting now, from this moment on..."), usually I can at least appreciate the badness. These Piper promos are just somehow otherworldly awful to me. Maybe it's because Piper was a really great promo in the '80s so the decline here sucks to see or something.

Anyway, this is just to open a random topic for discussion: What are some of the consistently most difficult promos for you to sit through or find any value in, even if that value is in enjoying the awfulness of them? Like, I have to fast-forward past Piper in '96-'97. Are there any fast-forward type guys because the promos bug you so much for you all?

And if the Meltzer story is true, that he can't do anything physical, that's really depressing.  I mean hell, Dusty Rhodes is 8 years older and in terrible shape and even he threw a bionic elbow this year.  The little Hulkamaniac in me from my childhood just shed a tear. 

Dusty can't bump anymore either. That's why Show had to lay him down when he KO'd him.

The name flub spurred me to add to #3 "evil foreigner heels," same reason.

Adruab Adonis was the original idea for the Col. Mustafa spot, until they remembered that Adonis had died in 1988