DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

The thing about Ziggler, is he seems like the type of dude who an over-achiever in his personal life. He was on his way to Law School before signing to WWE. But as history has shown, you can bust your ass and do everything right, but if Vince doesn't want you on top, you're not getting on top.

• Like 1

Dolph Ziggler's Comments That Got Him Backstage Heat Revealed

What did he say?

It was previously reported that Dolph Ziggler's push was stopped in WWE because of comments he made on September 4 during an interview with MLive.com. The comments in question seem to be about WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton.

He said: "I've made it clear; I'm not patient at all – several times. I've been very vocal about my position on the card and in the company. I'm not trying to say 'Hey, everybody sucks and I'm great!' But I love doing this, and at some point you go 'OK, It's not my time right now and I got to figure something out' And when it's time, that's when I must go out there and make as huge of an impact as I can and let everyone know 'I dare you to follow that, I dare you try something better.' And when they don't (counter or match what I'm doing in the ring) I'm very outspoken about it and it can get me into very hot water (with the company). Then you never know where we're going. Everybody can be just so outspoken about taller guys, and guys like Randy Orton being the face of the WWE, the WWE Championship. I dare you to put me in a back alley with Randy Orton or someone like that. I guarantee I'm not afraid of someone taller."

Credit: The Wrestling Observer

That got him heat? THAT? Seems like they wanted a reason to stop his push or he's beyond getting into hot water and is just super annoying backstage.

How well did Warrior draw during his run as WWF champ? Watching some of his old stuff on YouTube and kind of wondering what the story is behind him dropping the belt to Sgt. Slaughter for Hogan to win back at Wrestlemania 7. 

Was it as simple as Hogan just deciding he wanted to come back and wanted his belt, or was business sinking with Warrior on top? I mean, given how crazy huge WWF was in the 80s, you had to figure it would naturally drop off a little bit heading into the 90s, no matter who was on top. That's just not a sustainable level of success.

Vince wanted an evil foreign heel, and wanted it Iraqi since it was the Gulf War.  Sheiky was past it, and Slaughter never really had a run at the top, and they'd figure it'd be awesome if Slaughter, who was always All-American and was a friggin GI Joe, turned heel and Iraqi.  Slaughter drew massive heat from his turn, and they wanted to transition Savage out of full-time work.  So they swapped the belt to Slaughter at the Rumble to set up Evil Turncoat Slaughter vs. Real American Hogan at Wrestlemania, have it be for the belt and all that, and moved Warrior into a fued with Savage.  

It was less about Warrior not drawing as champ (he had it for 8-9 months), but more that there was a bigger picture after Slaughter was drawing legit monster heel heat from Survivor Series onward for Wrestlemania.

Except it wasn't at all clear why Warrior would care about the red white and blue. He's from Parts Unknown, and was the destroyer of all nations, the lifeforce of the primal man, the precursor of Armageddon. Puny regional conflicts don't concern the Warrior.

• Like 3

Except it wasn't at all clear why Warrior would care about the red white and blue. He's from Parts Unknown, and was the destroyer of all nations, the lifeforce of the primal man, the precursor of Armageddon. Puny regional conflicts don't concern the Warrior.

Sounds like he and America had some things in common if you ask me.

• Like 14

Warrior wasn't clicking at the top and business was down. Whether or not we want to blame Warrior, or just credit to business cycling down, (especially with the wrestling industry starting to attract negative press) is another thing.

WM 7 should have just been the Hogan/Warrior rematch. And Slaughter was getting heel heat, but it was more the "we're offended and hate you and hate the company that's putting this on the TV so we're not going to watch anymore" heat.

In regards to Dolph, I mean...I guess the company has changed and if we're going to keep one champion then where everybody is slotted is going to change, but a guy like Dolph could have easily slid into that Edge/Jericho role of perennial heel/face secondary world champion. There's too much talk about the #1 guy spot as if the title is real, but there are talented guys that need to be put into more prominent positions both on TV and PPV.

On Jericho's podcast Bret said Vince came up with the name "sharpshooter".

In his book, Bret recalls that he, Vince and Pat Patterson were brainstorming about names for his finisher when Bret threw out "sharpshooter".

Vince stopped him and said that "Sharpshooter" was it.

I think with Dolph they followed him on twitter, saw his brutal attempts at being funny and was like TO THE MIDCARD YOU GO.

I enjoy him in ring but never saw him as a main event player. Upper midcarder who challenges for the title on occasion but never THE GUY.

• Like 2

You say that like Ziggler is this huge can't miss talent. He's not Punk or Bryan or Cena or Orton or any of those guys. He's a midcarder who looks and wrestles like a midcarder. He talks like a midcarder. There's no real difference between him and Cody Rhodes or Kofi Kingston.

I mean, I never said he was. He's definitely uppercard material. I'm just playing armchair psychologist. He bumps his ass off and is one of the few guys who doesn't look half-asleep when they work. I can see why he's a bit pissed off.

You say that like Ziggler is this huge can't miss talent. He's not Punk or Bryan or Cena or Orton or any of those guys. He's a midcarder who looks and wrestles like a midcarder. He talks like a midcarder. There's no real difference between him and Cody Rhodes or Kofi Kingston.

I mean, I never said he was. He's definitely uppercard material. I'm just playing armchair psychologist. He bumps his ass off and is one of the few guys who doesn't look half-asleep when they work. I can see why he's a bit pissed off.

The problem is he now feels entitled so he's not in any real mindset to fix what isn't working.

• Like 1