DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

I think it was originally called the "Beautiful Disaster" when he was doing the clear mask, Dr Doom thing and it's just evolved from there.

Names for wrestling moves could be a really good topic actually -

The long standing debate over the DDT being named after the poison or being short hand for "Damien's Dinner Time". Why was Hogan's leg drop "Atomic"? Why was a technical wrestler from Canada locking people in a "Sharpshooter" when that name sounds like it should be for the finishing move of the Smoking Gunns?

Because he was a "hitman"?

• Like 2

A "hitman" using a "Sharpshooter" always seemed logical to me. I could never get what the fuck "Sweet Chin Music" had to do with a male stripper ... although, I would imagine that it would be percussion-heavy (salacious!!!).

I always appreciated that, when asked what "DDT" might stand for, Roberts would reply, "The end."

• Like 2

For The Sharpshooter: Becasue calling it the Scorpion Deathlock would be giving free advertising to Sting and WCW. The original name for the hold is Sasori Gatame (Translation: Scorpion Leglock)

James

• Like 1

I hate how finishers can go unnamed for months in the WWE.  Every announcer should know two names for every finisher: the gimmick name, aka the Attitude Adjustment, and the "technical" name, aka the Fireman's Carry Slam.  And they should know what part of the body it hurts and why. 

What the hell is Seth Rollins flying stomp to the head called?  Ambrose's front DDT?  Hell, what's the name for Daniel Bryan's flying knee?  Besides "That's the knee that beat John Cena!!!

What part of your body does the Cross Rhodes hurt?  And when?

• Like 2

Rollins' stomp was called the Blackout in NXT/FCW.

But its been used since their TLC debut match and it still doesn't have an official name that's been uttered by Cole, King or JBL. Throwaway line like "Rollins calls that the Blackout! 1,2,3!"

At least Vince would say "whatamaneuver!"

Warrior's tweets in response to Jake Robert's comments about him in a Busted Open interview:

2aex91d.jpg

Now Jake has apologized for it

"My guys showed me Warrior's tweets. I was trying to be entertaining with the radio show and took things too far, like I do too often. I have no business inferring anything negative about him. I apologize. He deserves the HOF and respect for what he accomplished in the business. But let me be clear. There is no hypocrisy here. I am not preaching anything. I am sharing my recovery path to show others what is possible. So no pity, bathrooms stalls or groveling. I am doing great. I am an addict and alcoholic working every single day to repair and make the best out of the life I have left. I make mistakes, like that comment, but my recovery has been amazing. Jim does not know this Jake. Without realizing or intending to, I fired the first shot and will take Jim's response without any negativity towards him. I apologize and am putting behind me."

So to hype the the whole "all PPV's on demand" aspect of the network, WWE have put out their "Top 15 PPV's of All Time" -

Honorable Mentions - SummerSlam 91, WrestleMania X, GAB 96, ECW Barely Legal, Backlash 2000, Invasion and SummerSlam 2002

15 - WWE - Survivor Series 1995

14 - ECW - Heat Wave 1998

13 - WWE -  Backlash 2009

12 - WCW - Bash at the Beach 1996

11 - WWE - Extreme Rules 2012

10 - WWE - IYH Canadian Stampede

09 - WWE - No Way Out 2001

08 - WWE/ECW - One Night Stand 2005

07 - WWE - SummerSlam 2007

06 - WCW - Great American Bash 1989

05 - WWE - WrestleMania 3

04 - WCW - Spring Stampede 1994

03 - WWE - Royal Rumble 2000

02 - WWE - Money in the Bank 2011

01 - WWE - WrestleMania 17

Thoughts?

So to hype the the whole "all PPV's on demand" aspect of the network, WWE have put out their "Top 15 PPV's of All Time" -

Honorable Mentions - SummerSlam 91, WrestleMania X, GAB 96, ECW Barely Legal, Backlash 2000, Invasion and SummerSlam 2002

Thoughts?

Great list. I'd switch a couple for WWE No Mercy 2001, 2002, WrestleMania XIX and WrestleMania XXIV.

Thinking about WrestleMania, Triple H' has had two crappy main events: Chris Jericho at WrestleMania X8 and Randy Orton at WrestleMania XXV which were totally overshadowed by two other matches on the show: The Rock vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8 and the classic between The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXV.

I had a lot of problems with that "greatest PPV" list the first time they did it. SummerSlam 2009 is so much better than Backlash, and the 2007 show it's ridiculous. SurSer '95 is an alright show, especially during that down period, but it's nowhere near the top 15.

Heatwave '98 was a good show, but I honestly think their next-to-last PPV, Massacre on 34th Street, is a much better show, even with the shitty main event.

Thoughts?

Great list. I'd switch a couple for WWE No Mercy 2001, 2002, WrestleMania XIX and WrestleMania XXIV.

Thinking about WrestleMania, Triple H' has had two crappy main events: Chris Jericho at WrestleMania X8 and Randy Orton at WrestleMania XXV which were totally overshadowed by two other matches on the show: The Rock vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8 and the classic between The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXV.

As long as One Night Stand 05 has Sandman's epic entrance intact it belongs on the list.