DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL DRAFT

RIPPA

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

The Ravens issued a statement similar to the one the Giants did - their FO has always been very open towards stuff like that

As a Baltimore fan, I was really happy to read that statement.  I kind of wonder though... if he's dropping down the draft board as others are saying because of coming out, do you still take him at where he was originally projected (in the third round), or wait and see if he'll fall to you in a later round?

(I also will barf when those stories are written about the Steelers or Pats or Ravens when they draft him)

So what will you do if the Skins draft him?  Since it's already been suggested by some fans that the Skins should draft him to divert attention from the team name...

(I also will barf when those stories are written about the Steelers or Pats or Ravens when they draft him)

So what will you do if the Skins draft him?  Since it's already been suggested by some fans that the Skins should draft him to divert attention from the team name...

How many teams are in a position where they might want to draft him for non-football reasons?

The Ravens issued a statement similar to the one the Giants did - their FO has always been very open towards stuff like that

As a Baltimore fan, I was really happy to read that statement.  I kind of wonder though... if he's dropping down the draft board as others are saying because of coming out, do you still take him at where he was originally projected (in the third round), or wait and see if he'll fall to you in a later round?

Once you get into the third round and need a pass rusher...I mean, if his combine numbers are up to snuff, I think he's fair game for anyone from there on out. 

Giants owners said this will not affect their position on drafting him

“Michael Sam is a gifted athlete and a courageous man,” Giants co-owner Steve Tisch told TMZ Sports. ”I hope any NFL team would not hesitate to draft Michael if he is right for their team.”

Giants co-owner John Mara echoed Tisch’s sentiment.

“Our sport, our game, is the ultimate meritocracy,” Mara said. “You earn your way with your ability. As Patrick Burke and Wade Davis constantly remind all of us, regardless of who you are, what your background is and what your personal or sexual orientation is, if you can play, you can play. Michael’s announcement will not affect his position on our draft board.”

I am happy Tisch and Mara said this... though really what else were they going to say

HE CAN'T PLAY BECAUSE HE WILL BE TOO BUSY THINKING ABOUT MOUNTING ALL THE OTHER PLAYERS!!!!

I would giddy about getting his jersey the next day... especially since he fits a need for my boys.

I also will approve all the WHAT AN AMAZING ORGANIZATION!!! A MODEL OF CLASS FOR YEARS!!!! stories

The thing about these statements is, even if they are lying through their fucking teeth, it's still a positive step to see that teams would want to hide homophobia and appear progressive.  They anonymous statements make me figure at least some of these teams are saying things they don't mean, but, hell, at least they don't want to look like bigoted assholes.  Massive step forward even from the more cynical viewpoint.

I don’t think his being gay would be an issue at all for the Ravens,” Cass said. “We’re all about winning. If he’s a good football player who can help us win games, he will be welcomed here.”

Last year during a preseason football practice, Sam told his teammates at Missouri that he was gay. According to the New York Times, Sam’s teammates nodded their heads as if they were glad he finally came out.

“I was impressed by the support he received from his teammates and coaches at the University of Missouri,” Cass said. “He obviously knows how to be a good teammate.”

Sam went on to have a stellar season, notching 11.5 sacks and being named the SEC’s defensive player of the year and a first-team All-American. He’s projected to be a mid-round draft pick.

The Ravens made contact with Sam at the Senior Bowl, as they do with nearly every NFL prospect.

Some pundits have said the Ravens would be among the few teams that could handle the added attention that would come with an openly gay player, both from the perspective of acceptance and media coverage. Baltimore has a strong locker room and front office leadership.

“I’m disappointed it is such a big issue in 2014,” Cass said.

Is there any question that Al Davis, if he thought Sam could play, would have drafted him in a heartbeat?

Not at all.  Bless Al Davis--he simply didn't care about race, gender, and I imagine sexuality.

The media and the NFL sure love them some Rooneys, but Al Davis was probably the most progressive owner in sports and he never gets the credit for it.  And that "Rooney Rule" name is a joke.  If Al bothered to show up to Owner's meetings I'm sure he would've rolled his eyes when Rooney brought that up.

• Like 1

How many teams are in a position where they might want to draft him for non-football reasons?

Awesome. SEC Defensive MVP, consensus first-team All American, and you draft him to be charitable.

Or you draft him late because before all of this scouts said there are plenty of flaws in his game and now as the picks go by and he is not selected the narrative will be about homophobic football people.  Any way Arland Bruce III of whatever team he is on now sent him an offensive tweet.  Guess Arland wants to be cut by all the teams in the CFL 

Yeah I have heard too small to be a defensive end and not fast enough for linebacker.  Some teams are going to use this through their anonymous comments to try and drive him down so they can try to scoop him up late.  Going to be a crazy couple of months for the young man.  He has lived a super tough life so far this might seem like a cakewalk to him

I think he's kinda stuck. The teams progressive enough with strong enough front offices that will put his sexuality to rest the day of the draft are also stats-heavy enough to realize the kid's sack totals were super inflated. I know some of those teams also don't care too much about combine stuff but he's not going to impress anyone in that department, either. Maybe one of the well-run teams in the league sees something in him and will pick him up. The Pats took a flyer on Tebow.

Of course, there are a bunch of nimrod teams that won't draft him because omg this league has so many morons in positions of power.

Also, big ups to the Mizzou team and community for not revealing this earlier. I heard a student from Mizzou talk about it -- Columbia's a small city and it was apparently pretty well-known around the entire community. No one took photos of him coming from a gay bar and sent it to Deadspin or some other outlet that would 100% publish it without a second thought.

Awesome. SEC Defensive MVP, consensus first-team All American, and you draft him to be charitable.

Charity has nothing to do with it. Some teams with problems may see drafting him as a useful PR move. Is there financial value in becoming the team with the #1 gay fanbase?

One legitimate reason I could see for not drafting him...if your team is eligible to be forced to participate in HBO's Hard Knocks and you really don't want to be on the show, you might consider not drafting Sam if you think that HBO and the league will want to capture Sam's story on the show.