DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

So Mets' P Matt Harvey was a guest on the Dan Patrick Show this morning, and for some dumb fucking reason thought they wanted him on to talk about his partnership with Qualcom instead of baseball and his decision to rehab rather than have Tommy John surgery.

It led to an awkward interview, then DP & the Danettes burying the fuck out of him afterward.

I agree with his Keith's stance from the MLB part.  The idea that they won't allow special memorial hats but selling jerseys with special memorial patches is really shitty.  But bashing the Nats for basically not telling the league to screw off with their rules is overkill.

Speaking of Washington, Rick Reilly has joined the group of people defending the name Redskins:

Doesn't matter. The 81-year-old Washington Redskins name is falling, and everybody better get out of the way. For the majority of Native Americans who don't care, we'll care for them. For the Native Americans who haven't asked for help, we're glad to give it to them.

Trust us. We know what's best. We'll take this away for your own good, and put up barriers that protect you from ever being harmed again.

Kind of like a reservation.

Eventually the people who don't care about the name change or believe the name is great need to realize that keeping your mouth shut has worked for over 40 years and acting like an idiot or Johnny fuck the Liberals isn't helping.

Its sorta funny but I really didn't have an opinion on the name other then thinking its silly how its ok to have Indian, Braves, and Chiefs but not Redskins...then Keith did a show a week ago or so and basically taught me the history of the Redskins as a football team and know I will be happy the day they remove the name. 

Its sorta funny but I really didn't have an opinion on the name other then thinking its silly how its ok to have Indian, Braves, and Chiefs but not Redskins...then Keith did a show a week ago or so and basically taught me the history of the Redskins as a football team and know I will be happy the day they remove the name. 

I think it comes down to this, would you call a indian/native american person a redskin to their face?  Would you even say redskin in their presence? (I have no idea how or where this would come up, but still.)  If you called your native american buddy chief, they probably wouldn't be offended, but calling them a redskin would probably be a bad idea...you might get scalped or something. The redskins name is not nearly offensive as the Indian's mascot.   

The Native American folks I've known - and I've known several, thanks to the area I live in - have ALL called themselves "Indian".  None of them used the term "Native American".

But I sure as hell wouldn't call of them Redskin.

I think it comes down to this, would you call a indian/native american person a redskin to their face?  Would you even say redskin in their presence? (I have no idea how or where this would come up, but still.)  If you called your native american buddy chief, they probably wouldn't be offended, but calling them a redskin would probably be a bad idea...you might get scalped or something. The redskins name is not nearly offensive as the Indian's mascot.   

But thats the thing unlike Chief or even Brave when you know the history of the team and how the name came about it has nothing to do with respect of the culture.