DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Perhaps, but the overating of the Pats is almost as bad, as the 49ers, Falcons and seahawks are probably all better than an aging, thin NE, which he puts at #2. Remember the Bills were about a half a dozen plays from 10-6 last year, with freaking Gailey in charge. I'm not saying top fifteen or anything, but somewhere 20-25 for the Bills and fins are a little more realistic. Of courseI'm a fucking homer too. . . .

Lizzy Seeberg was a Notre Dame student who was raped by a Notre Same football player. She reported it immediately but the administration buried it while allowing players to harass her. She committed suicide 10 days later.

Add Simmons to the people who won't use the name of the American Football team located in the Capitol city of the United States of America

What a tool.

This is the same guy who's championing the Washington Wizards to return to the Bullets nickname. 

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Oh, it is EXACTLY the same.

This guy has a pattern of such behavior. He spent years brazenly referring to a team as "The Zombie Sonics." 

Such wanton disregard for the Homo-Coprophagus-Somnambulus community should not be tolerated!

Olbermann on the Redskins. Brilliant as usual.

Is it safe to say that Olbermann, despite being one of the biggest blowhards and douchebags in the media, is probably the single best on air sports personality on TV right now?  He rubs plenty of people the wrong way, but that guy is so fucking talented.

• Like 1

This could probably easily go in the baseball folder but it's an example of the kind of analysis that just kills me to hear - the blowhard commentator who tries to explain away stuff when it's not necessary or delves into detail to try and look smart, while not actually being correct.

To wit: watching MLB Network's highlight package of tonight's Yankees/Red Sox game - near as I can tell this is the 93rd time these two teams have played this year - and Saltalamacchia hit a grand slam in the 7th to put the Red Sox up.  Jim Kaat was analyzing the replay and says something like "the catcher asked for it inside and you can see he left it out a bit".  Only problem is, the replay showed with little dots the location the catcher asked for and where the pitch ended up - and the actual location was further inside than the requested target.  So Kaat blamed the pitcher for leaving the ball out over the plate when, in fact, he threw it further inside. 

This is a good time to mention, also, that MLB Network seems to caught ESPN's disease of thinking there's only 3 or 4 teams in the majors.  Every time I flip to the channel and they're showing an actual game, it's the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Cubs.  Ridiculous.

I would defend MLB network a bit by saying that they're doing a ton of little bits of analysis like that, and a lot of the time they're trying to do it in real time, or really quickly as things happen over the course of the night.  So, there is going to be a decent amount that is 1) totally subjective bullshit ("He didn't mean to the throw that there at all" or 2) one-guys technical opinion stated way too confidently ("He's dropping that shoulder....that's because he took too many BP swings") or 3) just totally wrong because pro jocks are sort of used to making snap judgments and having everyone just believe them.

But i can forgive some of that because sports analysis is super-flawed to begin with and because of the sheer quantity they are doing compared to ESPN that gives you a couple of highlights on SC and one hour around midnight or so that is bogged down with music video crap and endless home-run montages.

I don't think they are anywhere near as bad as ESPN in the four team stuff at least when it comes to highlights/analysis shows.  But that may be because I only tend to watch during the hours when they are zooming around to games going on rather than off-hours of highlight-only shows.  I was actually expecting your list of four teams for MLB to include St. Louis (Harold Reynolds fucking loves the Cardinals and they get a lot of coverage every night...meanwhile I don't think I can remember the last time I saw them show up on Sportscenter), and Texas (I seem to catch a lot of them every time I'm watching MLB).

Last night I saw lots of the Cardinals/Mariners and Cinci/Milwaukee (as they were still being played with live look-ins) and also saw multiple segments on Tampa and Baltimore, and even one on Cleveland.  I did see also see lots of Yanks/Sox...but even I can admit that those two have been a ton of fun to follow the last couple of weeks.  And I don't know if they care so much about the Dodgers as they care about Puig and Kershaw...which is a different kind of ESPN problem...Yeah...like with Strasbourg....they did a whole segment on his arm pain last night (with Dan Plesac basically saying with 100% certainty that it was because he was playing catch during warmups sometime recently and someone convinced him to play around with a split-finger and that caused his forearm soreness...which...okay....mmmmmmmayyyyybeeee???????)...but I don't think I actually say any of the Nats/Phillies game.

One thing that may be affecting this on my end though, is that the Yankees are always a blackout for me.  So, I get the "not available" screen a lot, and end up with an alternate game.  I have grimaced at that, at least as far as actual full-game broadcasts...that happens too much.

To be fair with MLBN, here in September, you're not going to show a shit game like Braves-Padres. Yeah there's a couple of Red Sox games airing next week, but they're playing the Orioles, fighting for their playoff lives. They're also airing all of the Rangers-Rays series (either on the main or alternate feed), and both Reds-Pirates games next weekend.