DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Has ANYONE actually employed by ESPN bitched out Tebow for his homophobia?  I remember a guest on College Football Live did and Herbstreit uncomfortably acknowledged that not everyone agrees with all of Tebow's opinions.

Did I miss something? Did he make homophobic remarks?

Has ANYONE actually employed by ESPN bitched out Tebow for his homophobia? I remember a guest on College Football Live did and Herbstreit uncomfortably acknowledged that not everyone agrees with all of Tebow's opinions.

Did I miss something? Did he make homophobic remarks?
I think it was back when he was at Florida or around the time if the anti abortion Super Bowl. and I think it pretty much boiled down to typical religious right gay marriage is bad cause being gay is anti Christ like

He also did one of his guest preaching thingies at a church with a noted extreme homophobic preacher last year.  I don't think he addressed homosexuality at all in his speech, but he also most certainly didn't distance himself from the preacher's position.

There was an article in SI back when Tebow was still in college that gave the impression his father's ministry is open to everyone - so long as you're not gay, a minority, possibly a woman, etc.

I didn't think Timmy was Catholic

While the rhetoric is similiar, those megachurch born again types seem to be much less tolerant on a whole than your average catholic, pound for pound. Not talking dogma so much, more like on an individual basis. Still, fuck Tebow and his noodle arm.

I hope KO doesn't fuck this up because I think in his short time back with ESPN, he's doing his best commentary on sports ever. I think it's right up there with his best work at MSNBC. That piece itself was tough to watch. When it got to the last bit with Duerson's son, I lost it and couldn't hold back the tears. Prisco should be ashamed of himself, but he would need to be at least a little self-aware to pull that off.

• Like 1

Tebow shouldn't have to address homosexuality or defend his stance on it or the stance of his church. I couldn't care less what an athlete has to say about really any topic outside of the sport he/she are playing. If he runs for office then people can ask. I don't see why his views should matter to us.

I doubt anyone would care about Tebow's views on certain topics if he weren't so front and center about his faith, and it being used to justify his popularity.  Matt Barkley is pretty religious, it's possible that he feels a certain way about certain things.  But no one asks because Barkley plays it closer to the vest.

A number of churches are against homosexuality.  That's their stance, and they're free to stick to it.  But when your faith is the foundation of why your fans want the rest of us to respect you, things are going to come into question.

IIRC, Tebow canceled a visit to one church last year because the pastor's ultra-conservative views came to light.  The bad publicity wasn't worth it.

I've never understood the idea of hating someone because the media shoves him or her down our throat. Now, I am a Florida Gator supporter (family at Florida, etc) so the Tebow stuff never bothered me but I could see how someone would tire of the coverage. Still, it has nothing to do with the person.

Anyway, I feel this is all coming to an end now. Beli gave him a chance because of Meyer/possibility of trolling the Jets but the Pats realized there is no fit for Tebow on their roster and outside of maybe the Jags I don't see where signing Tebow would make sense.

Assuming Tebow, spends this season out of football, what's the overunder on how many times he still gets discussion time on First Take.

I assume that, if Skip, can't work Tebow into the discussion, the show will henceforth feature long stretches of dead air.

Personally I kind of liked Tebow as a player.  Not that he was good, but there was the potential of interesting stuff to happen maybe.  At the very least I can say, unlike Mark Sanchez, I take no joy at all in Tebow's professional failure.

I lament that the people who created both the Tebow "story" and then escape-podded into stoking the Tebow animosity will skate free and join in the chorus ridiculing him now as if they had always been there. ESPN will no doubt at some point in the future do a whole series of segments about how dumb football fans all were for creating Tebow-mania.

Also, God I'm going to miss Mark Sanchez.  I watched for Tebow because there was a tiny chance I might see some crazy slow-motion Hollywood underdog thing happen.  I watched Sanchez because I knew with 100% certainty it was going to be hilarious, like I was way more confident that he would do something funny than that SNL will be funny in any given week.

I've never understood the idea of hating someone because the media shoves him or her down our throat. Now, I am a Florida Gator supporter (family at Florida, etc) so the Tebow stuff never bothered me but I could see how someone would tire of the coverage. Still, it has nothing to do with the person.

As people Tim Tebow and Justin Beiber and Kim Kardashian could all be wonderful individuals.  I'm sure they have friends and family members who would attest to that, but we don't know them as people.  We know them as media figures, and sometimes those people get so much coverage that it winds up making us dislike them.  Not as people, because again we don't know them as people, but as media figures.

It's more that you're sick of hearing about the person than you are of the actual person.  Like I wouldn't mind watching Tim Tebow play in a football game, but I can't stand to hear Skip Bayless and his ilk talk the guy up anymore.

• Like 1