DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

I'd fire anyone stupid enough to think that an interviewer in that situation is supposed to listen to Wainwright's explanation and then "grill him."

Like, grill him how?  Scream "Come on, man!!!" 

With what evidence do you "grill him"?  The shifty look in his eye?  Tilting his head to the left?

Jesus I hate the talkradio-twitto-industrial complex.

This is an unholy confluence of "assholes who won't let anything in sports be fun" and "assholes who make their own overtime pay by creating *OUTRAGE@!!!! BUZZFEEDHUFFPO WATCH: OUTRAGEOUS..FACEBOOK TRAVESTY!! OBAMA LIES...YOU"LL NEVER BELIEE THIS CLICK CLICK CLCIK!!!"

• Like 1

The inevitable apology:

"This morning on the radio I used a series of words to describe Erin Andrews' work at the All-Star Game. My choice of words was wrong; I was wrong to have used them. To all whom I offended -- particularly Ms. Andrews -- I apologize. There is no place for what was said. It was immature and completely uncalled for. I am often critical of media members and their work and recognize here that I've made the kind of mistake I would call out if it was done by another sportscaster or writer. Again, to all involved, I'm very sorry."

If that guy worked for me, he would not even have gotten a chance to issue an apology.  He'd be fired immediately.  Substitute a racial slur in place of "bitch" - do you think the guy would still have a job?

What would you have done if he had only said "Seriously, go away. Drop dead. I mean, seriously what the hell is wrong with her? First of all, follow-up. Second of all, the guy admitted he did it. He admitted it. He told reporters he threw a couple of pipe bombs. How is that social media’s fault? I hate her. I seriously hate her so much. Social media is the reason she has a big house! Shut up. Shut up." and didn't include the word "bitch"?

Who thinks it's okay to suggest someone should "drop dead" and who still has a problem with going even that far?  (I don't have a problem with it.)

If he leaves out any reference to her gender, then it's a valid criticism (except for the 'drop dead' part). But he didn't, he went for an ad hominem attack to score points with the boys, and that's what he apologized for.

There's a lot to be said about too many people apologizing for way too much in the media these days, but he did go a bit above and beyond. Frankly, I'm shocked he still has a job.

EDIT --- Real quick... before we get anything less than civil in our conversations, remember Rippa is looking for blood... so keep it cool boys and girls. 

I don't know it seems like one of the checklist on today's sports talk radio host is that you have to portray this "man's man" gimmick and apparently it has been determined by these "men" that women in sports have no place unless it in a cheerleader or groupie or stay at home mind your business terms.   I seriously doubt this wanna be meathead is going this far just because it is Erin Andrews and that a Pam Oliver or Doris Burke would have gotten better treatment

One of the many checklists that a large number of today's sports talk radio guys seem to employee way too much.  Not all of them of course

I thought as a society we'd be past that by now but I guess not..  Many of the women reporters are very good and because this is still a wrestling forum look at Renee Young. She's a tremendous host and someone who would fit in with ESPN perfectly (though I'd rather she stay in wrestling)

Forgive me if I come across wrong, but I would find it hot if my girl was into sports, like me. So, I have no issue with women in the sports media.

The question is, what do you do if your girl was into sports but sounds like a less intelligent Stephen A. Smith whenever she talked about sports?

Calling Erin Andrews a "bitch" is "cheap heat".  I could be a lot more insulting towards her without being so blatantly sexist.  I actually enjoy vile ad hominem attacks, but I like to see some effort in them so that they are classy vile ad hominem attacks that sounds better with an English accent.  The radio is probably not the appropriate venue for that, however.  That's what the internet is for.

Reading the Boston Globe article about Minihane, it seems it was out of character for him to go this far with his attacks and he's normally a good add to the show. In fact, the Globe pretty much says that show is all but being kept afloat by him.  Which really explains why they didn't cut him loose instantly. 

In the never ending saga called 'As the R word turns',  CBS sports head honcho Sean McManus decided to throw his NFL reporters under the bus by saying that it will be up to them whether they want to call the team the Redskins or some other Washington version of the football team.   Surprisingly the NFL or CBS has not backed off the statement as I can't imagine Goddell would like that.     There will definitely be 4 Skins games on CBS this year.    It will be interesting to see if anyone decided that they won't use the name Redskins and the shit storm it causes.

Hopefully who ever does this doesn't go on social media or TV and announce to every one that they won't say the word Redskins.  While I am in the camp of people that the word is a slur and probably shouldn't be used, I am so tired of people telling anybody who will listen that they will never use the word again because it is offensive.   It was offensive the first 1000 times you used it and you didn't give a crap so enough with your "come to Jesus" moment. 

• Like 1

Reading the Boston Globe article about Minihane, it seems it was out of character for him to go this far with his attacks and he's normally a good add to the show. In fact, the Globe pretty much says that show is all but being kept afloat by him.  Which really explains why they didn't cut him loose instantly. 

Might explain it but he still deserved to get canned.

Yeah, it's one thing if he happened to have said it in a public setting. Bad enough as it is. Yet, he had the time to type it out, look for any grammatical errors, think about what he was about to post, before he hit send. No excuses. Some around this board could probably take that to heart, as well.

Yeah, it's one thing if he happened to have said it in a public setting. Bad enough as it is. Yet, he had the time to type it out, look for any grammatical errors, think about what he was about to post, before he hit send. No excuses. Some around this board could probably take that to heart, as well.

I believe an ESPN talking head and former NFL coach has a saying that goes something like 'send hit don't'

I just put on WatchESPN and they some sort of video game championship.  Something called Dota.  I guess there are people that want to watch other people play video games.  There are even announcers doing play-by-play.  Strange.

I just put on WatchESPN and they some sort of video game championship.  Something called Dota.  I guess there are people that want to watch other people play video games.  There are even announcers doing play-by-play.  Strange.

Doesn't Tim do pxp for some of that?

I'm more confused by the fact that ESPN3, accoring to SBNation, is showing U12 girl's softball and U9 boy's baseball.

Goddammit, ESPN.  Putting that stuff anywhere near t.v. just brings the worst out of little-league Bobby Knight syndrome sufferers everywhere.

It's the middle of summer. ESPN will kill for live content. Hell, they're airing the Crossfit Games whenever they happen - THE SPORT OF FITNESS, or whatever

Been done with more style already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2SUSHqcb3o

Note: Don't click on that video if you are not ready to embrace the madness of Cthhulu-ian truth of it all.  The truth that this happened...and that a case can be made that it is the reason we survived the Cold War.