DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Did anybody else see the story on SportsCenter tonight about the deaf & blind fan of the Brazil national team?

His physical therapist made a replica of a soccer field and moved his hands with the patient during the game so the patient would know where on the field the ball is and another therapist was making hand signals on the patient's back to relay additional information about the game. It was an amazing story.

The real question is, how good is he at pinball?     :)

Y'all need to watch the story on the blind kid who walks using echo location and can play fighting games facing away from the TV.

Watching NFL AM, wondering who told Kimberly Jones to take a bunch of downers before going on camera.

She's been Michael Cole-esque in her awfulness while trying to show enthusiasm.

One morning watching NFL AM, I came to the realization that the show starts at 6 AM EST and it comes from L.A. Which means it begins at 3 AM locally. My mind was blown that they are talking about the NFL at that hour in the off-season.

Another thing that is really getting on my nerves this time of the year: NFLN & NFL.com reporting every time someone says how great their team or teammate is looking. Camp hasn't even started yet. EVERYONE looks good.

Let me know when you have a story like: Jim Harbaugh says Kapernick looks "like garbage". "We may be lucky to win four games this year."

Another thing that is really getting on my nerves this time of the year: NFLN & NFL.com reporting every time someone says how great their team or teammate is looking. Camp hasn't even started yet. EVERYONE looks good.

Awww but I loved all the stories that came out last month about how Jordan Matthews was reminding everyone of Terrell Owens on the field.

So Erin Andrews has apparently gotten some flack for her interview of Adam Wainwright during the All-Star Game the other night.  Apparently she was supposed to grill Wainwright for saying he grooved pitches to Derek Jeter instead of just asking him about it and accepting his explanation.  This led to Kirk Minihane of NESN to say:

“What a bitch! I hate her! What a gutless bitch! Seriously, go away. Drop dead."

Nothing sexist, or just plain subhuman, about that at all.  Look, I get the blowback against Erin Andrews.  But it's pretty safe to say Minihane wouldn't have said anything remotely similar if it was a guy interviewing Wainwright.

Here's the full quote:

“What a bitch! I hate her! What a gutless bitch! Seriously, go away. Drop dead. I mean, seriously what the hell is wrong with her? First of all, follow-up. Second of all, the guy admitted he did it. He admitted it. He told reporters he threw a couple of pipe bombs. How is that social media’s fault? I hate her. I seriously hate her so much. Social media is the reason she has a big house! Shut up. Shut up. I shouldn’t call her a bitch, I’m sure she’s a nice person.”

“She’s probably a bitch,” one of the other hosts added.

The inevitable apology:

"This morning on the radio I used a series of words to describe Erin Andrews' work at the All-Star Game. My choice of words was wrong; I was wrong to have used them. To all whom I offended -- particularly Ms. Andrews -- I apologize. There is no place for what was said. It was immature and completely uncalled for. I am often critical of media members and their work and recognize here that I've made the kind of mistake I would call out if it was done by another sportscaster or writer. Again, to all involved, I'm very sorry."

If that guy worked for me, he would not even have gotten a chance to issue an apology.  He'd be fired immediately.  Substitute a racial slur in place of "bitch" - do you think the guy would still have a job?

• Like 2

The inevitable apology:

"This morning on the radio I used a series of words to describe Erin Andrews' work at the All-Star Game. My choice of words was wrong; I was wrong to have used them. To all whom I offended -- particularly Ms. Andrews -- I apologize. There is no place for what was said. It was immature and completely uncalled for. I am often critical of media members and their work and recognize here that I've made the kind of mistake I would call out if it was done by another sportscaster or writer. Again, to all involved, I'm very sorry."

If that guy worked for me, he would not even have gotten a chance to issue an apology.  He'd be fired immediately.  Substitute a racial slur in place of "bitch" - do you think the guy would still have a job?

What would you have done if he had only said "Seriously, go away. Drop dead. I mean, seriously what the hell is wrong with her? First of all, follow-up. Second of all, the guy admitted he did it. He admitted it. He told reporters he threw a couple of pipe bombs. How is that social media’s fault? I hate her. I seriously hate her so much. Social media is the reason she has a big house! Shut up. Shut up." and didn't include the word "bitch"?

Who thinks it's okay to suggest someone should "drop dead" and who still has a problem with going even that far?  (I don't have a problem with it.)

What would you have done if he had only said "Seriously, go away. Drop dead. I mean, seriously what the hell is wrong with her? First of all, follow-up. Second of all, the guy admitted he did it. He admitted it. He told reporters he threw a couple of pipe bombs. How is that social media’s fault? I hate her. I seriously hate her so much. Social media is the reason she has a big house! Shut up. Shut up." and didn't include the word "bitch"?

Who thinks it's okay to suggest someone should "drop dead" and who still has a problem with going even that far?  (I don't have a problem with it.)

I'd fire the guy for the "drop dead" comment too.

• Like 1