DVDVR Message Board

The Non-Gaming Software/Apps/Services/etc Thread

So, I'm looking at Lifehacker Pack for Windows 2013 and thinking about useful programs, especially now that I have a tablet.

I'm thinking of using Evernote and Dropbox. I just wanted to get some feedback on how people have been using stuff like that. To give you an idea of what I am looking for, I've been using Zim Desktop Wiki to manage personal notes and information that I would like to access across multiple devices. One option is switching to a cloud-based service such as Evernote. Another is to export my Zim notebooks to Dropbox.

Who uses this stuff? Who used to use them but quit (and why)? Any other software you want to talk about?

I have a laptop (Windows 7) and an iPhone 4.  I just loaded up an app called Duolingo, that helps you learn a language by making a game out of it, kinda like Rosetta Stone, but free.

Other than that, I'm fond of Downcast, for downloading podcasts.

I never tried Evernote, but use Dropbox quite a lot.  Never had any issues with it so I'm pretty happy with it.  I've tried others like Sugarsync and Box which are generally the same thing.  But of the ones aside from Google Drive Dropbox is the way to go.

I'm on mac rather than windows.

I use Byword as a simple word processor, linked to dropbox.  This gives me access to text documents across all devices and quick easy document creation without a million little menus and widgets all over the place in a lean interface without a heavy process running.

When it comes time to organize bits of writing into bigger things, I go with Scrivener.  Between these two, I have very little use for Evernote anymore.

I can't give too much away, but I think I'll be fine if I redact a word or two.

I'm currently working on a little piece called ___ Winds  __   Winter.  Just a hundred more pages!  Fingers crossed!!! Wait, I feel dizzy.  maybe another candy bar will help.

Essentials is a nice way to group and organize programs for quick launching.

Scapple is a great free-form program for diagramming ideas.

I also have a thing for apps like Mindnode.  My brain works better in diagram than in outline.

I've also found Documents-To-Go to be a great way to work with Microsoft Office docs on tablets or phones.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know a good youtube downloader that converts videos to MP3's? I've used the Final Video Downloader in the past, but just got a new computer and as soon as I installed FVD, it started working super slow and giving me a bunch of error messages. Anything similar out there that is safe?