DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

There’s a lot of threads scattered throughout, I’m just waiting for them to be all tied together.

Nothing really to discuss, it’s just been a solid procedural and character study focusing on a detective finding out the biggest mystery is ‘who am I?’ and ‘what did I do wrong’.

McNairy and Ali have both been on an absurdly high level. 

Also, the preview for next either has a hell of an Easter egg or things are gonna get real interesting 

A laptop screen has an article displayed about "Two Former State Detectives Catch Alleged Serial Killer" with pictures of Rust and Marty.

I think using the documentary as a framing device is a pretty neat idea, it's something that could be used in subsequent seasons too.

Do you think the mother sold the kids off or was her drunk confession a red herring? Also, I wish I could get a blazer like Dorff's in the UK

Only complaint I've had so far is one of the Chevy Caprice police cars they used. It was an '86-'90 model but was featured in a scene set in '79. It doesn't take me out of the story, but it's just one of those things that I notice. The Dodge Coronet sedan is spot on though.

42 minutes ago, driver said:

Only complaint I've had so far is one of the Chevy Caprice police cars they used. It was an '86-'90 model but was featured in a scene set in '79. It doesn't take me out of the story, but it's just one of those things that I notice. The Dodge Coronet sedan is spot on though.

I noticed that too, but I let it slide because of the time bleeds and because Hays as narrator in the present day is extremely unreliable due to his memory issues.

I'm enjoying the season, Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff are phenomenal.  Carmen Ejogo is phenomenal looking, and her character intrigues the hell out of me.  She seems to mean well, but she also seems to be lying about 58% of the time.  The date, her walking away from the argument, then offering sex to get out of it, made me wonder how much we actually know about her.  All we really know about her is that she has a mysterious past, married Detective Hays, and wrote a book.  

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm enjoying the season, Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff are phenomenal.  Carmen Ejogo is phenomenal looking, and her character intrigues the hell out of me.  She seems to mean well, but she also seems to be lying about 58% of the time.  The date, her walking away from the argument, then offering sex to get out of it, made me wonder how much we actually know about her.  All we really know about her is that she has a mysterious past, married Detective Hays, and wrote a book.  

She used flirty talk on their first date to get out of answering questions about herself and fast-forward to 1990 and she's still using sex to get out of arguments..  I'm not one of these people who thinks she's in on a conspiracy but do I think she's involved or was involved in some shady shit?  Absolutely.  I don't think Hays is innocent in all this either,  it appears he failed somewhere along the way.  He's a good guy but I think he overlooked some shit or didn't want to believe,  tried to block it out etc. 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

She used flirty talk on their first date to get out of answering questions about herself and fast-forward to 1990 and she's still using sex to get out of arguments..  I'm not one of these people who thinks she's in on a conspiracy but do I think she's involved or was involved in some shady shit?  Absolutely.  I don't think Hays is innocent in all this either,  it appears he failed somewhere along the way.  He's a good guy but I think he overlooked some shit or didn't want to believe,  tried to block it out etc. 

I think she is fundamentally good, and not involved in the case...but there is something in her past that is most likely horrifying.  I'm also about 75% sure her birth name is not Amelia.  She openly admits that she has reinvented herself, she won't answer any questions about her past, and she uses her sexuality to manipulate any and everyone she thinks she can gain something from.  I think she's just as curious about what really happened as Wayne Hays, but I think something from her past is what is actually driving that curiosity.  Maybe she was kidnapped, or was a runaway, or lost a child, or something like that.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

God damn I still have no idea where we're going but it's a hell of a ride.

Ali is still killing it, and McNairy is presenting "broken man" as well as I have ever seen.

Dorff last night continued to impress again too.. Ali is just on a ridiculous level right now.

Last night two things blew my mind, the end scene and also the hotline phone call. Tremendous stuff.

That shooting was crazy too, I almost felt sorry for Woodard because you could tell they were trying to pin shit on him and he had bout enough of their shit.

Caught up.  Couple thoughts/theories:

Spoiler

Not 100% sure the hotline call from the missing girl was talking about McNairy.  "The man on the tv" could be anyone, and she should know his name even if he's not her real father.

I'm thinking Ali and Dorff killed that Dan O'Brien guy.  Don't know why yet.  Also noticed that when Ali was hallucinating the Vietnamese people - who I assume were all the people he killed in the war - there was one guy in the back wearing a tie, looking at the ground so we couldn't see who it was.

I don't know if it's my tv or what, but the mumbling, especially from the older Ali, is driving me insane.  You almost have to watch it with captions on.

17 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Caught up.  Couple thoughts/theories:

Hide contents

Not 100% sure the hotline call from the missing girl was talking about McNairy.  "The man on the tv" could be anyone, and she should know his name even if he's not her real father.

I'm thinking Ali and Dorff killed that Dan O'Brien guy.  Don't know why yet.  Also noticed that when Ali was hallucinating the Vietnamese people - who I assume were all the people he killed in the war - there was one guy in the back wearing a tie, looking at the ground so we couldn't see who it was.

I don't know if it's my tv or what, but the mumbling, especially from the older Ali, is driving me insane.  You almost have to watch it with captions on.

This is True Detective every season.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:35 AM, Brian Fowler said:

There are a lot of great individual scenes in every episode, but it's not really hanging together yet. I'm not sure if that makes sense?

I still feel this way. The performances are amazing, a lot of the individual scenes in a vacuum are fantastic, but it's got some real strange holes in it's storytelling, and it's just not coming together as well as I'd like it to.

I mean, they still have two episodes to stick a huge landing and totally change my view, but right now it's "good, real good" but not "great. Transcendent even" like season one.

It's a fuck ton better than two though.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:12 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was wondering when Walmart was going to make an appearance. I guess Tyson didn't want to be associated with child abduction though.

Oh, and we found out why it's not Tyson.

• Like 1

It makes me wonder why they didn't keep an eye on ole Cousin Dan after he tried to finagle his way into $7,000. If the other party is ahead of Wayne and Roland, wouldn't it be in their best interest to make sure this asshole don't end up stinking in a ditch somewhere? I guess Tom was confident enough to believe no one was tailing him.