DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

20 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Long shot, but is there any chance they’ve been able to keep a Rust Cohle cameo quiet? I’d dig it. 

I'm doubting it. I think the Marty/Rust connection is a red herring, and this case doesn't connect to the still out there pedophile ring from season 1. (Which leaves that open for a possible future season.) I think Lucy sold Julie to the Hoyts specifically to "replace" the daughter that died in 77.

My best guess is that Hays either has completely forgotten the deal he made to protect himself and family with Hoyt in 90, or decided at this age with creeping dementia he doesn't give a fuck anymore. Either way, the twist that he's actually been playing/using the documentary crew to get more information was brilliant.

Same thoughts as @Brian Fowler, I'm pretty sure he knew what happened and has just blocked or forgotten it over the years and the documentary makers is kicking it all up.

This might shock y'all but I've not enjoyed this as much as S2 even though I have been more engaged if that makes sense? 

I liked it well enough..  Amelia basically solved the case but Wayne hated that she wrote the book/resented it and never allowed himself to read the book and put together the clues as to what had happened.  I'm cool with Julie getting a second chance at life and having herself a happy ending. Everyone got their closure.  For the most part,  I'm not quite sure if Wayne was faking or not at Julie's house but I think he was having a selective episode. This story is more about the relationships of Wayne and Amelia and Wayne and Roland. A lot of people wanted this to tie into season one and they did make mention but no Yellow King this time,  no 5 men on horseback etc..  they can always return to that in future seasons though I'm not sure it's necessary.  Season 1 was near perfect.  Season 2 was mostly a miss.  Season 3 was very good and Ali should have that Emmy locked up.  Look out for Dorff also.

I was pretty sure there season 1 stuff wasn't going to actually tie in here, so I'm not disappointed. It gives them a place to go for season 4 or later if they want.

The actual resolution was pretty much exactly what had been laid out over the last few episodes, but they did find one nice last twist. I think it maybe went a little too long after wrapping up the case though. It could've ended after the car ride with his daughter. EDIT: Or when his grandkids rode off on bikes like the Purcell kids.

And my one big unanswered question is whether or not Roland and Tom were more than just friends in the years between the investigations.

Overall this was a pretty strong season, obviously carried by some spectacular performances.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

And my one big unanswered question is whether or not Roland and Tom were more than just friends in the years between the investigations.

Somewhere on social media Nic was asked if Roland was gay and he said no.  Roland was looking for companionship all throughout this season and everyone either deserted him or their lives got fucked up in some way,  the only thing that he had that were loyal and stuck with him were his dogs.  But now he has his old buddy Purple back in his life too.  I think everyone fears growing old and being lonely.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Somewhere on social media Nic was asked if Roland was gay and he said no.  Roland was looking for companionship all throughout this season and everyone either deserted him or their lives got fucked up in some way,  the only thing that he had that were loyal and stuck with him were his dogs.  But now he has his old buddy Purple back in his life too.  I think everyone fears growing old and being lonely.  

There were undertones in that one scene, and I didn't want to say anything. Then, it was revealed Tom got ridiculed at work. I think Tom would have been too scared to make advances toward Roland in the first place as to not mess that relationship up.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There were undertones in that one scene, and I didn't want to say anything. Then, it was revealed Tom got ridiculed at work. I think Tom would have been too scared to make advances toward Roland in the first place as to not mess that relationship up.

There was that, and how he responded to Hays reaction to that pamphlet that felt like it could've have meant something, but didn't need to. Plus the failed relationship(s) and such. It was one of those "could be" questions I had, but I'm fine with that answer.

• Like 1

I don’t know how you can see that as unsatisfying, I thought him having an episode as he finally found July to be a painfully wicked twist and then dying on the porch (reading between the lines) was as happy an ending as was possible. 

I kinda hate how much S1 captured the attention to the point people are constantly clamouring for some tie in and are still hung up on it. ITS AN ANTHOLOGY PROGRAMME! It did make me chuckle how overtly the documentary interviewer was a representation of some of the audience,  craving a more sinister conspiracy-laden subplot. We desperately wanted Hoyt to be a Yellow King-esque pedophile ring mastermind and instead we found a broken man at the end of a bottle and a well meaning plan gone array 

17 hours ago, EVA said:

Leave it to Nicky P to trip over his dick with a ponderous, unsatisfying finale.

Wading into this while trying to avoid spoilers was a horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible idea on my part, but...

Are we saying - and by we I mean you - that he's 0 for 2, or 0 for 3 in this department?  Season 2 is a clear case of the cat gakking on the carpet.  But that's one pile of gak in a metaphorical symphony of impending hairball noises. 

Season 1 worked well for me - didn't feel tacked on, still left some doors and avenues open (or open-ended).  The only thing I really, *really* didn't like was the very last exchange Marty & Rust have, and that's because it feels like Woody Harrelson screwed up that part of the take.

Just watched the last episode. I've been at least a week behind throughout.  That dog showing up completely wrecked me.

On 2/25/2019 at 1:34 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

For the most part,  I'm not quite sure if Wayne was faking or not at Julie's house but I think he was having a selective episode.

I think it's open to interpretation, but I would lean towards him faking it.  There was a look in his eyes when he was drinking the water that suggested he knew what he was seeing.  Also he could have been deliberately passing the information to his son and letting him figure it out for himself (I think there was a scene at some earlier point in the season where he tried to sell his son on pursuing something and got shut down?).

He did call her Julie as he was getting the water.  I don't think he was faking it though, I think he did lose it & that part of truth did slip out.

I thoroughly enjoyed this season and was completely engrossed.  Any unanswered questions don't really matter at this point.

Edited by TimWresPowr
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one addressed that final shot. It's an interesting one to end on this season, and I know some question if any of this actually happened or now. I do not choose to beleive that, but it's still an odd closing image.

I also thought the extra jump cutting between versions of Wayne and Roland in this episode was playing a little bit off of Rust's "time is a flat circle" speech.

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'm surprised no one addressed that final shot. It's an interesting one to end on this season, and I know some question if any of this actually happened or now. I do not choose to beleive that, but it's still an odd closing image.

Throughout the whole season and final episode in particular, he was constantly looking over his shoulder at his older self. I just took it to be an extension of that only tracing it full circle between his beginning (in nam) and his end (dying in his rocking chair, happy with friends and family reunited). That’s my interpretation anyway

• Like 2