DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

Aaaaand to the shock of absolutely no one, Pizzolatto and Jeremy Saulnier couldn't coexist, and Saulnier has departed season 3 after filming only 2 of his 3 slated episodes.

Apparently taking some time off could not cure Pizzolatto of being a parody of himself.

I guess he doesn't want a career? If this season is remotely close to the shit show that the last season was I have a hard time seeing him comeback from that, at least to having a gig like the one he has now. HBO has Westworld, they don't need this bullshit. . . 

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I guess he doesn't want a career? If this season is remotely close to the shit show that the last season was I have a hard time seeing him comeback from that, at least to having a gig like the one he has now. HBO has Westworld, they don't need this bullshit. . . 

HBO has more than just Westwood.  Pizzolatto needs to check himself before he's directing commercials.

• Like 1

Guys guys guys. Pizzolatto didn't direct anything. Hasn't directed anything. All he's done, by and large, is write stuff. 

And, as Orson Scott Card has proven, you can be batshit crazy and impossible and write stuff FOR-FUCKING-EVER. 

Still, though, would be kinda funny if S3 ends up a complete trainwreck, just to go, "16! Ah-ah-ah! That's how many episodes I counted, from being the talk of the nation to pissing away your credibility!"

(OK fine, it was really by whichever one opened with Vince Vaughn talking about the mold spot on his fucking ceiling)

I watched Killing of a Sacred Deer last night. Pizzolatto and Yorgos Lanthimos seem to be in the same wheelhouse...at least creatively. However, I am not sure how that would be an improvement over season 2. Matter of fact, it would be season 2 on human growth hormone.

10 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Guys guys guys. Pizzolatto didn't direct anything. Hasn't directed anything. All he's done, by and large, is write stuff. 

And, as Orson Scott Card has proven, you can be batshit crazy and impossible and write stuff FOR-FUCKING-EVER. 

It's easy for most people to separate artistry from asshattery and people can appreciate the work of these types without condoning their behavior.... depending on the person in question.

I think OSC is a homophobic asshole, but am probably one of the biggest Harlan Ellison apologists out there and Harlan is a Grade A Dickbag..  I also loved Harry Harrison and he was also quite the smart ass.

The problem with being a douchebag is that eventually you will run the gauntlet of people that want to work with you.

I think that Nic gives a shit and takes his craft VERY seriously (which is a good thing) and I think that part of the problem is that success is testing him far more than failure ever will.  Success kicked Dave Chappelle's ass.

Nic knows he's a an excellent writer and he's developed a huge ego and the high profile work he's done with TD has caused him to have to collaborate with people with equally large show business footprints, so shit is always going to clash and creative differences will ensue.

If Nic wants to continue working on TD, he's either going to have to check himself for the better of the whole or find another way to tell his stories on his terms.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

It's easy for most people to separate artistry from asshattery and people can appreciate the work of these types without condoning their behavior.... depending on the person in question.

I think OSC is a homophobic asshole, but am probably one of the biggest Harlan Ellison apologists out there and Harlan is a Grade A Dickbag..  I also loved Harry Harrison and he was also quite the smart ass.

The problem with being a douchebag is that eventually you will run the gauntlet of people that want to work with you.

OSC is a fucking monster. Now, I'm very pleased to be able to refute the "Harlan is a Grade A Dickbag" thing. (Full disclosure: HE has been an inspiration and friend/mentor of sorts for over thirty years.) I have seen the famous HE temper, in fact, I was on the receiving end of a tirade once upon a time... But here's the thing, starting with his marriage to Susan in 1986 (I think), and followed closely by his heart attack in 1994 things changed... There's nothing like finally finding your soulmate and then getting a big reminder about your own mortality to profoundly change the way that one looks at life and conducts one's self. Ellison has mellowed tremendously since those two events. We haven't chatted in over six months, (it's no secret that he's been receiving treatment for clinical depression, which can really screw with your sleep, so I only call now if it's something important). Last time he reiterated his offer to provide me with cool titles for any new short fictions I come up with, which is extremely nice and very helpful as I pretty much suck at titling things...  

So, anyway... HE = Dickbag No More. As far as Harry Harrison's capability for smart assery and being generally annoying, I will relate the one 100% verified anecdote and let you draw your own conclusions: At one of the room parties during World Fantasy Con in either 2001 or 2002 (I know it was just after the publication of Harrison's collection 50 in 50: Fifty Stories for fifty years! , as I had lugged the book from Seattle to get it signed... )Anyway, a jubilant and perhaps a tad pixilated Harrison stood on a chair to make a historic announcement, after several months of phone calls to the offices of and ultimately the home of the senior editor for a Russian publishing house that had issued a lovely set of the "Stainless Steel Rat" series the Russian gentleman had done the unthinkable... He had actually come through with a royalty payment for Harry's books. (This was then and remains now a major problem with several Russian houses who will just issue pirate editions of whatever Western SF titles floats their boat knowing full well that the authors are powerless to do anything about it and the US/UK publishers won't bother defending mid-list intellectual properties.) Anyway, the long and short of it appears that Harry Harrison engaged in such a high level of ass-hattery that the Russians figured it would be better for all concerned to just give him some "please fuck off now!" money as opposed to putting up with more annoying phone calls at odd hours. Well done, Mr. Harrison!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Oh, this is already clearly better than Season 2.

Keep in mind that the main trailer for Season 2 featured no dialogue, no plot details, no anything, except Lera Lynn singing over top of shots of the characters looking stern, pained, and exasperated.

It took us 8 hours to realize those were just shots of the actors looking stern, pained, and exasperated.

I enjoyed making fun of season 2 a lot, but lately whenever I take any line or monolog of Vince Vaughn's dialog from season 2 and just play the quick mental game of imagining Paul Manafort saying it.

It kind of works. Like that doesn't mean that it was in any way realistic or believable in 2015. But reality has shifted and it might just eventually line up with TD season 2.

To bust up the monotony of utterly shitty quotes, I thought I'd leave this particular nugget from Season 1 as some food for thought.  I did my yearly rewatch maybe a month ago and the value of this quote still just punches me in the teeth.

"Transference of fear and self-loathing to an authoritarian vessel. It's catharsis. He absorbs their dread with his narrative. Because of this, he's effective in proportion to the amount of certainty he can project."