DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

I thought this quote from the interview on the previous page was pretty spot-on

Well, the show is plainly showing a vein of misogyny running through not just these men but their culture. To the idea that this is not on purpose, or that the females are one-dimensional, I’d say we’ll agree to disagree. If someone sees Maggie as merely some kind of fuming shrew, then that viewer is revealing their own prejudices, not the show’s.

I'm certain it will be a conventional ending, not sure why anyone would think otherwise. Everything we've needed to see we've seen I'm guessing.

It's probably going to be something super ironic like the fictional Ledoux shootout actually happening with crazy lawnmower guy and his psychotic crew of individuals.

I thought that was the worst part. Classic "No, YOU'RE the one with the problem" defense.

I think there's some truth to it.  I've never, for one minute, thought Marty's wife came across like a one-dimensional shrew.  I've found her to be just as interesting of a character as her onscreen husband.

• Like 1

I'm certain it will be a conventional ending, not sure why anyone would think otherwise. Everything we've needed to see we've seen I'm guessing.

It's probably going to be something super ironic like the fictional Ledoux shootout actually happening with crazy lawnmower guy and his psychotic crew of individuals.

And Marty's ex, or possibly daughter, end up playing Woman in Peril, and Marty sacrifices himself for his family, and it ends with a cleaned up Rust back on the job because he is, you know, a True Detective.

And Marty's ex, or possibly daughter, end up playing Woman in Peril, and Marty sacrifices himself for his family, and it ends with a cleaned up Rust back on the job because he is, you know, a True Detective.

david-caruso-s-sunglasses-o.gif

• Like 1

I thought that was the worst part. Classic "No, YOU'RE the one with the problem" defense.

I think there's some truth to it. I've never, for one minute, thought Marty's wife came across like a one-dimensional shrew. I've found her to be just as interesting of a character as her onscreen husband.

Well, I'd agree that, following the episode where she went rogue, the term "one-dimensional" doesn't accurately apply, but I would say that the "shrew" part definitely sticks.

Poor Maggie is a shallow character who exists solely to react to the menfolk and for whom the show has little love.

Anyway, I'm psyched about tonight because it promises to be a big night for Rust Cohle: Man of Action, which is always the best part of the show.

Enjoyed the finale a lot. They left a lot unanswered, but nothing to the level that it ruined the season at all. Not even close.

My only major gripe from the finale is:

That connection between the paint and his ears was really, really flimsy in my eyes. Even my wife was like, "That's a big hunch." I think it would have been better if he had been wearing like green soundproof ear muffs like you see some landscapers wear. But then we wouldn't have gotten to the elderly woman in the home. Or maybe we would have. I dunno - I just thought it was a very, very quick way of getting them into Carcosa without much explanation.

Fucking awesome. Really fucking awesome. Rust had me in tears at the end. Shit, even before that where Marty breaks down I was in tears. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

• Like 2

I love weird coincidences in fiction. Like, there's no way Nick Pizzolatto could've seen the finale of BREAKING BAD before he wrote this episode, but yet there's Rust Cohle pulling Walter White's sniper gambit.

Anyway, it was a good finale to a good season of TV. I think the show might miss Cary Fukunaga even more than McConaughey next season. He can do everything.

• Like 2

I think what made me happiest is that it really felt like the completion of a 10 year journey between these two guys who fucked up every relationship they ever had, but somehow the love they have for each other was stronger than anything else. I find that to be incredibly touching and sweet.

See, over the course of the season, I never bought that these guys even liked each other, let alone loved each other. You'd actually have an easier time convincing me they hated each other. When Marty referred to Rust as "my friend," I was like, "WHAT? That's bullshit, man."

I'm willing to believe they are something akin to friends at the very end, going through a traumatic near-death experience together tending to create strong bonds and all, but I feel like the story of this season is less "Bro Love Overcomes All" and more like HOW I MET MY NEW BEST FRIEND.

I thought this was a pretty good finale, but part of me hoped it would have ended with them dying in that cave.  I just think it would have been more in line with the overall themes of the show.  The entire case was basically about people disappearing without anyone caring.  I thought it would have been a better ending if in order to stop people from disappearing they would have to disappear themselves.  They kind of had it set up last week when they showed Marty eating a TV dinner alone, and Rust dismissing the former Mrs. Hart when she tried to reconnect.  These were two guys that had nothing and no one, but this case, and paying the ultimate price to see it through would ahve been appropriate in my opinion.

• Like 2

See, over the course of the season, I never bought that these guys even liked each other, let alone loved each other. You'd actually have an easier time convincing me they hated each other. When Marty referred to Rust as "my friend," I was like, "WHAT? That's bullshit, man."

I'm willing to believe they are something akin to friends at the very end, going through a traumatic near-death experience together tending to create strong bonds and all, but I feel like the story of this season is less "Bro Love Overcomes All" and more like HOW I MET MY NEW BEST FRIEND.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Both of these guys came from messed up backgrounds. Rust's is particularly dramatic, but Marty is a womanizer, destroys his marriage multiple times, etc. Through that time they're these super-detectives, but while they have this common bond, this fissure grows and grows until it all comes to a head when Rust and Marty's wife get it on. I look back to that moment and I realize that Rust was particularly upset because he knew it meant the end of the one and only friendship he had, as backwards as it was.

There's another moment around that time where Marty tells Rust that he needs to go and get laid and how when he was getting some he was normal. I don't think there is any normal for Rust, but what really mattered to him was having Marty in his life.

Skip to these last two episodes. At this point, their lives have gone so far off the rails that all the distractions are gone. Marty can finally see that Rust isn't crazy and Rust knows that he himself isn't crazy because Marty validates him. When Marty asks Rust if he went light on him, he clearly knows that Rust went light on him and could have seriously hurt Marty, but he didn't. The tension and pressure builds while they hunt down the Yellow King, and at that point they're all each other have. Both of these guys went on such an incredible journey to find out that, hey, we're really the best of friends even if our relationship is skewed at times. Not once did I ever think about that journey during this season until the finale and that's what I loved most of all about this season. Looking back, yeah, the story was about catching the Yellow King and unraveling the conspiracy, but the greater story was about Marty and Rust.

Goddamn though, that re-telling of the events by Rust at the end of the episode was heartbreaking. If I lost my daughter, I would be just as fucked up.

I'm also sad that this will be the end of Marty and Rust's adventures together. Maybe a season or two down the line they'll be brought back, but I don't know how any other season lives up to this.

Did anyone else 

immediately think of the final scene in From Dusk Til Dawn when they panned back for that shot of Carcosa?

I think this show is really gonna miss Fukunaga too. That, the scenes at the end where all the locations are shown again, of course the housing project scene -- the man knows his way around with a camera.