DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

They could not be more unalike.

Yeah, I was trying to come up with a comparison but I just came up blank.  They are both detectives, both willing to piss people off, and that is just about it.  The shows are just so damn different that neither character could even exist in each other's universe.

Yeah, I was trying to come up with a comparison but I just came up blank.  They are both detectives, both willing to piss people off, and that is just about it.  The shows are just so damn different that neither character could even exist in each other's universe.

I was speaking more in the attributes you described.  Though, I'm sure McNulty probably looks like Rust now w/o the police work.  Carving beer cans and the like

Well, they're both detectives. It's inevitable that they will butt heads with authority and eventually have to skirt the rules to get shit done. They abide by the demands of their genre. Beyond that, though...I got nuthin'.

There is nothing worse in all of DVDVR than seeing something cool, in this case the new episode of True Detective, and then getting to the relevant thread and Odessa is in it clogging everything up with his shit jokes and aspy-like one line observations.

This show is ace. There's a fucking terrifying tone beneath it all, something really depressing and chilling. When Harrelson was talking about not paying attention and the kids are playing/ageing and then she comes home all grown up... man that was cold. Harrelson, the lighting, the imagery. It's fantastic. FWIW, Pizzolatto said the next series could be ANYTHING else cop related, so I feel like this will get to stand alone and maybe we get Baltimore wiretapping druglords or a special team in LA or whatever.

• Like 4

There is nothing worse in all of DVDVR than seeing something cool, in this case the new episode of True Detective, and then getting to the relevant thread and Odessa is in it clogging everything up with his shit jokes and aspy-like one line observations.

This show is ace. There's a fucking terrifying tone beneath it all, something really depressing and chilling. When Harrelson was talking about not paying attention and the kids are playing/ageing and then she comes home all grown up... man that was cold. Harrelson, the lighting, the imagery. It's fantastic. FWIW, Pizzolatto said the next series could be ANYTHING else cop related, so I feel like this will get to stand alone and maybe we get Baltimore wiretapping druglords or a special team in LA or whatever.

I really want it to stay around the South...but a season in Hawaii could be pretty dark and awesome.

What's kind of odd about this show is that, for a show called TRUE DETECTIVE, the actual detective work is the worst part. I maintain that a show following Rust on deep cover narco work would smoke this, easily, and sumptuously - Rust Cohle style.

Well I think going in we all assumed the show was going to be about the two detectives cracking the case and the season would be spent trying to figure out who was behind the killings, but the show has shifted its focus to the actual detectives (Cohle in particular) and how they handled the case. And while surprising, it's far more interesting.

Matthew McConaughey was on Inside the Actor's Studio last night. Said he spent 6 months filming the show and took the job after reading the first two episodes.  He said Dallas Buyer's Club only took 28 days.  I sure was wondering where the Hell he found the time.

Matthew McConaughey was on Inside the Actor's Studio last night. Said he spent 6 months filming the show and took the job after reading the first two episodes.  He said Dallas Buyer's Club only took 28 days.  I sure was wondering where the Hell he found the time.

I didnt realize that show was still on the air,

I don't know if it's been remarked upon, but the opening credits are kind of mesmerizing. The music choices, especially the songs they go out on, are incredibly well curated, also.

The opening credits song reminds me of the Leonard Cohen song "waiting for the miracle", which was on the Natural Born Killers soundtrack.

Interesting interview. It's great to see that a talent like this pretty much came out of nowhere. Sounds like he realizes what a fantastic character Rust is, I would love to see him write a novel around Rust pre1995.

The pressure must be intense to produce quality even close to this for season 2.